Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

False Insurace Claim.

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2004, 09:39 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Relative of mine, bit of a wheeler and dealer has put in a false insurance claim. He was sat in his van in a loading bay area when a truck, for whatever reason, reversed into the back of it. Minimum damage to his van, no damage to truck, driver apologized profusely. My relative on the other hand immediatley saw the pound notes (having gone through the same on 2 occasions apparently) and asked for an ambulance as his kneck had frozen and he couldn't move!
After accident and emergency he immediatley went to his solicitor to start a claim. He's now bragging to anyone who will listen how he'll get £1200 minimum. What makes it worse is that he suffered no injury whatsoever and the number of his mates and associates who are saying 'good on ya'.
Who end up paying for this on their next insurance hikes? We do. How many similar false claims are going on around the country? Lots.
Really pissed me off but even more pissed off with other peoples reaction to it.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:01 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Angry

This stuff winds me up. It was this culture of litigation we've caught off the yanks that took down a company I was insured with a couple of years back.

On the bright side, they do occasionally get PIs to check out cases, so they do catch a few. Doesn't seem to put them off though
Old 08 January 2004, 10:02 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

It sucks, we all end up paying for it in the end, even this fraudster!

Eventually insurance premiums will be get so pricey (like thay are cheap at the moment and there will be more and more uninsured cars on the road and that's a whole other problem for the decent law abiding motorist.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:03 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

contact the insurance company and shop him- he sounds like a tool
Old 08 January 2004, 10:04 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Shop him FFS
Old 08 January 2004, 10:04 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

If I knew who it was I'd be tempted.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:05 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

Why not just shop him if it p1ssess you off so much, I would. Its one thing to do it in the first plce, but then to big himself up & brag about it stinks.

Sounds like a grade A1 w@nker to me.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:07 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

are all these insurance companies not connected to one big database then?

the police might be a good place to start, at the end of the day he's commiting a crime.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:07 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

Not enough coffee, sorry.

[Edited by TelBoy - 1/8/2004 10:11:25 AM]
Old 08 January 2004, 10:08 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

I'm being told to shop him but who would I shop him too! I don't know the insurance company involved, we don't get along, and I'm hardly going to be able to casually drop into a conversation 'who was the truck driver insured with hang on I'll get a pen'.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:09 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Wink

Perhaps he meant the insurance company? Personally I'd shop him too, I hate people who try to dodge their obligation, tax dodgers, insurance scammers are all the same- total and absolute scum.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:09 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Pardon?
:sigh: Who the insurance company is? duh?
Old 08 January 2004, 10:10 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Ah, i see. Wouldn't the police be interested?
Old 08 January 2004, 10:12 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

What? when it can take upto 3 days for them to come out to a car break in?
Old 08 January 2004, 10:19 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Yeah, grass the pikey up, definately.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:31 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

wouldnt worry about it, shopping him wont change a thing your insurance will still go up next year, people have started frauding insurance claims because Insurance are rip offs in the first place, you pay car insurance for say 20 years paying out what in total??? must be knocking on around 10k then when u need to claim on a motor they try their damned hardest to try n get outta it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

swings n roundabouts if u ask me
Old 08 January 2004, 10:32 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

I'm intrigued by the grass him up/report him replies, like it's just a phone call away and as easy as counting 1,2,3.
He has followed the precise procedure neccessary to enable him to make a claim. He has complained of a kneck injury and visited a local accident and emergency unit who have offered him medication and a kneck brace even though no bruising or broken bones have been noted. However seeing that kneck injuries are amongst the hardest to estimate and disprove, his word on this all that matters.
I on the other hand do not know the time, day, whereabouts of this event and have heard about it from another relative.
I do not have the information available neccessary to form a report of this event to anyone even if they would listen.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:39 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

There was a TV program on this last year, so often the investigators would find that phantom passengers would be added to the claim form, each wanting compensation for neck injury and they weren't even in the car.

Also, when there's a story of a bus (containing say 10 passengers) being involved in an accident, when word gets out, the bus company received 50+ claims.. often incited by "claims direct" type companies pacing up and down the street near the accident asking if anyone wants to claim.

What's sickening is that often, insurance companies pay up regardless because fighting the claim is more expensive than just handing over the cash.

A boss of mine once told me that if a mugger came up to him and threatened him with a knife, he'd fight him off.. but if the mugger came up to him and threatened to sue him for his wallet, he'd hand it over straight away.

[Edited by DavidBrown - 1/8/2004 10:41:23 AM]
Luke
BANNED

L dont think the company would be interested???? Unless its over lets say £5K they just tend to pay out. They have robbed us for years.. all this "9/11 event" cost them a fortune!!!!!! was a splash in the ocean for them.

I always carry a camera and would take my own oics of a accident. To many try to claim more damage afterwards. Also if you have their address... get some pics of them to show if they are fine etc..
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Friends of ours, quite weathly friends too, got broken into one night, and they claimed for cameras, dvds etc etc etc that had not been stolen. I could not work out why they were doing it, as they could quite easily affort the items they were claiming for. I also had some "advice" from a carpet salesman that having a radiator leak would be a good idea if I wanted a new carpet. Looks like everyone is doing it, and those who shout - WRONG - are only missing out on the freebies?
Old 08 January 2004, 10:44 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Supertouring, Unfortunately that's the way it is.. the nice guy, or honest guy will be crapped on, day in, day out by the people that just think of themselves.

Eg. Those who queue up at contraflows always get stuffed by the selfish people zooming down the closing lane.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:48 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

aiii always been told if u want a new telly upgrade and carpet just say u waqs decorating and spilt a tin of paint over them... job done

Personally I wouldnt do this but know people who have. wouldnt dare for being caught lmao. Im such a ***** lol
Old 08 January 2004, 10:49 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

I've got a no claims bonus discount on my insurance policy......I haven't ever claimed (touching wooden desk now)

OK so that's £1500 a year I've missed out on over 16 years........wow that's enough to get the Type 25....

Ring Ring "Send me a claim form..............."
Old 08 January 2004, 10:49 AM
Luke
BANNED

Lots to be earnt out there Folks..... Just find a hole in the road that is not protected well under current health and safety laws . "Fall " down it (Make sure there are no CCTV around... Otherwise you will have to fall down it!!) then sue the **** out of the Company/council....

Youve had the warnings.. This is what is going to happen all the time. The good old USA has landed. get you pensions sorted now..

Good luck
Old 08 January 2004, 10:54 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Andrew if you were really bothered get a dictaphone and go and have a conversation with him about his claim. Then go to the Police and report it. They have to follow up a complaint and they will easily get his details.
It all depends how keen you are to nail him.
Old 08 January 2004, 11:06 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Wink

James Bond antics really aren't my thing NACRO + to do this I'd have to drive over 400 miles. What about buying some telephone equipment from some spygear website? Wait for it to arrive get hold of his number...Yeah I could do that but really, am I going to and then go to my local police station play it to them etc etc?
In answer to the question am I that interested in nailing him, considering just what I'd have to go through to do it.
Nope.
Old 08 January 2004, 11:08 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

hurry up and shop him before its too late.
Old 08 January 2004, 11:12 AM
Luke
BANNED

The companies wont bother with it...

I work with lots of insurance companies advicing them on Building fraud... They have a "Cant be bothered" attitude. It makes me sick.

The real problems are the assesor's sent by the companies... They are the real crooks.
Old 08 January 2004, 11:14 AM
NACRO
BANNED

I wouldn't say they were james bond antics more snake in the grass tactics, sometimes however you just do what you have to in order to gain satisfaction
Old 08 January 2004, 11:16 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

Should be obvious thats it's a false claim if he's complaining of a sore "kneck " as I'm sure there is no such part in the human body

Quick Reply: False Insurace Claim.