Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fast lane hoggers .... grrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2004, 10:24 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just me or do people who hog the fast lane when the middle lane is empty really pee you off!

JUSTIFICATION FOR THIS COMMENT: I was coming back from Leeds 2night and some 318 driver was dawdling. The road markings indicated how far apart we should be but because he was hogging the fast lane when no traffic was in the middle I decided to edge closer to his rear. He proceeded to tap his foot brake to show me his brakes do work at 75 and continued to hog the lane.
I then moved into his blind spot to make him think I was performing a vanishing act but that didn't work so I continued to follow him. Finally he moved over but I was greeted on passing with a fist and flashing headlights. Deeply gutted as I wasn't I continued to sale into the night........ kinda like Knightrider but without the tune ;-)

Cheers
Old 07 January 2004, 10:26 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I know the type. I tend to close in on them and hope they'll move over. If no joy after a km or so, I'll floor it and undertake

Suresh
Old 07 January 2004, 10:31 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
i give them a mile or so then flash once if they dont move then anti lag them then they move
Old 07 January 2004, 10:37 PM
Graybr
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yep they do my head in m8, Generally ignorant muppets who think the world owes them sommit!!! Or too busy gossiping! as you say let em know your there, i try not to undertake (occasionally get a bit too frustrated) as its just my luck for them to deliberately try to take me out (HAS happened once - not funny)
Old 07 January 2004, 10:38 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

anti-lag... that a new term.. explain m8?
Old 07 January 2004, 10:42 PM
BlackScoobyWRX
Scooby Regular

Wink

Front mounted rocket launcher works well !!
Old 07 January 2004, 10:51 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

I agree with Graybr. ******* muppets.
Old 07 January 2004, 10:57 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
No such thing as the "fast lane" on the motorway just lane 1, lane 2, lane 3. To my mind all this talk of slow lane, middle lane and fast lane is part of the attitude that leads people to sit there blocking up the roads.
Old 07 January 2004, 11:40 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

NACRO,
where u driving that 318 BMW ???? hehe lol
Old 07 January 2004, 11:46 PM
248SPG
Scooby Regular

Angry

I had this tonight. Its not so much frustrating on the Motorways but it gets me when there is a De-Restricted Dual Carriage way that is only about a mile or so long and everyone who wants to turn right at the end gets in Lane 2 at the start of the dual carriage way and sits there doing 40!!!!!!
Old 07 January 2004, 11:47 PM
adstephens
Scooby Newbie

Angry

I think most people need to be taught how to drive on the motorway properly first. I guaruntee you that even though the inside lane is free people will always want to drive in the middle lane and not move over. Must be a comfort thing!
Old 08 January 2004, 01:22 AM
penfold118
Scooby Regular

Is it me or is it normally BMW drivers or dodery old gits in a rover 213...!
Old 08 January 2004, 01:36 AM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Cool

NACRO is correct ... no such thing as the FAST or SLOW lanes. The use of terms like 'living in the fast lane' and the like pee me off almost as much as middle and right hand lane hog-mimsers. I believe in some circles, that outside lane is known quite simply as the 'BMW lane' by some drivers apparently ....

BTW, I drive a wossname .... so you wont catch me in the fast lane ..... ever....
Old 08 January 2004, 08:15 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
quote: "where u driving that 318 BMW ???? "

Can't think of anything worse than an underpowered low end german "exec" car, so no it wasn't me. I forgot to add the guy was obviously a tw*t.
Old 08 January 2004, 08:21 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

248SPG: That sounds familiar, only my case the dual carriageway is 8 miles long. Some muppet (sex unimportant) stayed in the outside lane (for about 5 miles, despite the left lane being clear on numerous occasions. On a long clear stretch of the left lane I proceeded to undertake and the the little MX5 floored it. This one obviously didn't have any mods as it was quite slow, and he was quite pissed off that I managed to get by with ease (flashing lights). Oh, and I always use my indicators for every manoeuvre
Old 08 January 2004, 08:21 AM
BlackScoobyWRX
Scooby Regular

Angry

You're not supposed to overtake BMW drivers so of course they have the right to stay in the outside lane !!
Thought everyone knew that
Old 08 January 2004, 08:53 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I think it is time to bring in a separate Motorway test. As a learner you are not allowed on the motorway, as soon as you pass you can travel on it having had no tuition on the fastest roads in the country, it doesn't make sense.

I did my advanced driving test when I was 18 and part of it is on the Motorway, it was a real eye opener.

I regularly drive between Rugby and Leicester on the M1 and more often than not you will find people who will be in the outside (lane 3) lane all the way regardless of what is in the other lanes. The A14 is even worse being just 2 lanes.

I could rant on about this all day - but I won't!
Old 08 January 2004, 09:39 AM
burnz
Scooby Regular

Question

I did hear on the grapevin that the plod were considering bringing out on the spot fines for the above topic.Not sure if it's true or not.Id rather this kind of revenue gaining scam than the usual speeding ticket.It might also be a practical step forward to help our M roads flow better and safer.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:06 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Burnz that won't work because as soon as they see plod car behind them they pull over.

only the really stupid ones will get caught but will then argue that the limit in all 3 lanes is 70 so what harm are they doing? and they will be right the limit in all 3 lanes is 70 so what harm are they doing?????.

They also pay their road tax which entitles them to use as much road as they like.

[Edited by Wurzel - 1/8/2004 10:07:54 AM]
Old 08 January 2004, 10:13 AM
NACRO
BANNED

They aren't always doing the speed limit in these lane hogging situations.

For example you have been in a 40 limit in roadworks- tosser in front of you decides he is going to accelerate as slowly as possible up to 70. Meanwhile there are 2 clear lanes they can pull back into- do they? Do they f*ck, they just sit there blocking up the damn road. It is common courtesy, not to mention the highway code, to get your *** back into lane 1 when possible and safe to do so. The problem is many of these morons think exactly as you've described.
Personally I just sit there at a safe distance until they move over
and then give them a squirt from my headlamp washers. P*sses them off no end.
Old 08 January 2004, 10:48 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Is it wrong to cruise in the 2nd lane when the 1st lane is empty?
Old 08 January 2004, 10:55 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Lightbulb

yes, read your highway code.
Old 08 January 2004, 11:00 AM
Mr Gee
Scooby Regular

Wink

.....And its always a Beemer or a Benz !!
Old 08 January 2004, 11:05 AM
black knight
Scooby Regular

daily affair for me as i travel 100 miles on motorway everyday.

tried and tested method to deal with those hoggers:

1. leave a gap, then accelerate to close the gap. usually works as they would move at the sight of a bonnet scoop drawing in so fast to eat them alive. only work if the hogger ever checks their rear view mirror.

2. flash once, failing, flash with a couple hundred rpms. This would usually work as well.

3. However, ocassionally, u'll get the unreasonable, incompetent, selfish drivers no matter how many times u've performed the above steps but seems like the fast lane has their name marked all over... they should be .

But always the stay cool last option, undertake. Scoob power should take us through easily when it' safe to do so. not many were able to hold me off in my old 328bhp type r with short ratio and 1.4bar boost!

my post might not help but hope it cheers u up and u're glad to know that all of us face this problem.

[Edited by black knight - 1/8/2004 11:07:48 AM]
Old 08 January 2004, 12:43 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I suffer outside lane hogging like this every single day [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I've tried everything from driving close, to polite single at a distance to strobe light flashing, to beeping the horn and concluded that most people are to stupid to know what they are doing or ignorantto do anything about it.

So, I just undertake them as safely yet briskly as possible. Did it twice this morning as it happens.
Old 08 January 2004, 12:56 PM
Wskibuoy
Scooby Regular

The highway code states keep left unless overtaking so thats what I do, occasionally as a consequence of this i go past other vehicles on the left side so i too inadvertantley break the highway code! Question is if a cops watching this who does he do - IMO having seen police vehicles flashing middle lane hoggers out of the way they wont have much sympathy with em. As long as you do it smoothly AND CAREFULLY so you dont look like your racing then
Old 08 January 2004, 01:21 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The fine over here for hogging the outside late is about 70 quid. Ditto the fine for undertaking. It would be interesting to see who plod would pull over first given a situation where someone undertakes a lane hogger
Old 08 January 2004, 01:45 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Motorway discipline in this country is shocking and getting worse.

I drove from London to the Lake District and back last week - ANY time there was any increase in the build up of traffic everybody piles into the far-right carriage way.
Had some crazy situations with maybe 15 cars nose-to-tail doing 65 in the outside lane all trying to pass a lorry far in the distance with nothing at all in the inside two lanes.

I treat these situations as I would any 'queuing' traffic and move smoothly to the middle/inside, keep a steady speed and when the obstruction comes up indicate and carefully move back into the outside lane - I don't force my way in and if someone looks like they're trying to close the gap, I let them and come in behind them. All done with the minimum of agression.

If they don't want to use all the available space, then fine, but it doesn't mean I can't

The crazy thing is we are still building new roads when we aren't using the existing ones anything close to to 100% efficiency.

My solutions - spend some of that 'new road' money on...

Driver education (motorway driving test, use those programmable road signs to say KEEP LEFT)

Active Policing (on-the-spot fines similar to not wearing a seatbelt)

If none of these work, make overtaking on the inside legal when on the motorway and safe to do so!

Old 08 January 2004, 01:54 PM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

TC explains it better than me, but basically, undertaking itself is not an offence. The manouevre would need to be classed as 'driving without due care and attention', which I guess would need to be proven.

If a car is in lane 3 and driving slower than I am but they are overtaking at the time then that's fair enough. If they are in lane 3 and overtaking nothing then often I'll be in Lane 2 or 1 passing on the left.

Absolutely no point in TWO cars sitting in lane 3 with no traffic in the other lanes but one flashing the other to get by.....
Old 08 January 2004, 04:38 PM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

undertaking is allowed as if you are in a jam, and your in the middle "overtaking lane" do you wait for the outside "overtaking lane" to move before you proceed. No. (Tongue in cheek) I was driving down the tole road in Brum the other night, and one guy in a Mitzi Shogun was in the outside overtaking lane doing 70mph with not an other car in sight. I give up.

Quick Reply: Fast lane hoggers .... grrrrr