Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How can I incorporate an optical lead through my home cinema?

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2004, 07:28 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Panasonic SC-MT1 home cinema system, but I stupidly neglected to check for an optical input when I bought it.

Ive bought an XBOX recently, and it plugs through to the SC-MT1 amp using the red and white leads, and althou the sound isnt bad, Ive heard what it can sound like through an Optical connector, and it seems to be a lot better!!
I have the optical lead for the XBOX, the one that is a normal connector, but has the optical cable bit, but of course cant plug it anywhere into my amp, so was wondering whether anyone knew of an external optical adapter or something similar I could use to connect it?

Comet and co dont really seem to get what Im after, and I doubt it is possible, probably have to invest in a better home cinema system, or just the Amp, which I wouldnt bother with for a while.

Also, if I bought a TV with an Optical input, and connected the XBOX optical input to that, with the home cinema connected via the standard scart method, would this provide optical sound? or only the picture?

Hopefully someone can figure out what Im on about, otherwise ill settle for what Ive got for a while, its not bad, but would like to have the best sound quality possible.

Cheers
Old 05 January 2004, 09:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

As far as the amp is concerned, you'd be looking at an off board optical digital>analogue converter, and it would ber very pricey.
I don't reckon you're going to get one.

Alcazar
Old 05 January 2004, 09:37 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

How long ago did you buy the amp? If it was recently, the shop may be 'nice' and take it back (as long as you buy a replacement from them of course) and you pay the difference for a model that does what you want.

Do you have a coax connection btw? For instance, I have DVD through the coax and the PS2 through the optical which works perfectly.
Old 05 January 2004, 09:38 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Does the amp in question have a digital coax instead for an input ?

If so use an optical to coax converter. Around £35+

E.g. one here: http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Framepages/OPT_ADPTframe.htm

Cheers

Ian
Old 05 January 2004, 10:26 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Cheers, ill have a look for a digital coax, or may try the take it back idea, not sure I still have the box, bought it about three weeks ago.

Good excuse to get a new amp soonish I guess if all else fails, next time ill definitely do more research!!