Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Drink-spiking

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2003, 03:43 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Someone close to me (a female) suspects she was the victim of a drink-spiking incident on a night out on the lead up to Christmas. I attended the same event.

The evening was a professional (black tie) job and involved a four-course meal as well as unlimited alcohol - for those who wanted it.

At the end of the night, she was absolutely bladdered (incapable) and I saw her safely home in a taxi.

This is someone who is used to drinking and can consume a fair amount before the effects become apparent.

On the night, I assumed she'd just succumbed to the temptation and ended up buckled (it has happened before).

Last night, she told me she reckoned she'd been slipped something. She'd been skipping every second drink and her overall consumption would normally mean being able to hold a conversation / look after herself.

The next day, her hangover wasn't normal, she felt depressed and lethargic. This lasted for a few days. She has no memory of the latter part of the evening.

Following our conversation, I did some reading on Rohypnol and GHB. To my surprise they are not always used to take advantage of the 'victim' but often just to make them feel; uninhibited, exhilarated and relaxed.

Clearly neither she or I can prove anything however I do find the circumstances very suspicious. I can think of few things more despicable and more dangerous.

I'd be grateful for feedback from anyone with experience with this. Is it common ? - surely not !

To be clear - This thread has great potential for plenty of; offensive, poor taste or off-topic responses. As an example, I do not seek advice on alcohol intake. I will only respond to constructive replies. If the thread turns bad, I will ask for it to be closed.

Thanks,

N
[/i]

[Edited by Numptie - 12/28/2003 3:47:08 PM]
Old 28 December 2003, 03:47 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Was anyone in particular noticed chatting her up etc that evening. Who was buying her drinks. Who might she have went home with normally if it wasnt you? Has she had anyone from the office hitting on her lately?
Old 28 December 2003, 03:48 PM
PETENAUD
Scooby Regular

Dont let anyone buy you drinks and keep them if poss still in the bottle and put your thumb over the top.

Old 28 December 2003, 03:51 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Check to see if there was any covert CCTV cameras in the place. There often are in clubs etc. If so ask for a copy and study it.

Chip.
Old 28 December 2003, 03:52 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Petenaud,
If your out with friends then surely you shouldnt have to do this.

Chip.
Old 28 December 2003, 03:56 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Was anyone in particular noticed chatting her up etc that evening.
Yes.

Who was buying her drinks.
Everyone. It was one of those 'awash with drink' nights.

Who might she have went home with normally if it wasnt you?
I don't think it's appropriate for me to respond to this one.

Has she had anyone from the office hitting on her lately?
Not to the best of my knowledge. It wasn't a work night out.

Jye - some thought provoking questions - thanks.
Old 28 December 2003, 03:59 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

PETENAUD - Good advice for a night club situation. This was a professional do.

Chip - Not appropriate I'm afraid. This is going to be a no fuss / learn from the experience job.
Old 28 December 2003, 04:03 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Numptie.
YHM
Chip.
Old 28 December 2003, 04:12 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Can these sorts of drugs be tested for in your blood/urine by a GP? It maybe too late now, but it's worth asking yours (or her) GP for some advice.

I noticed there was a lot of talk about these drugs on the radio/TV leading up to Xmas (especially here in Scotland) and I was shocked that it appears to be such a problem

Glad to hear she's OK.

Stefan
Old 28 December 2003, 04:17 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Ozzy,
We have random drug tests in work sometimes. I was told that most drugs are traceable for up to a month after being administered.

Chip.
Old 28 December 2003, 04:19 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who might she have went home with normally if it wasnt you?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think it's appropriate for me to respond to this one.

Sorry I wasn’t looking for a name or anything like that, what I meant was perhaps she should have a long think about the capability of this 'person', if there even was/is one, especially if another night out is something that may occur in future.
Old 28 December 2003, 04:27 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Jye - No apology required. I understood exactly what you meant - and it was a fair point.

Ozzy - My immediate thought was to go for a blood test to immediately conclude if wrong had indeed been done. Reading about the drugs in question though, it appears that it is not possible to detect them after 24 hours following consumption.

Chip - Got your mail and replied. Thanks.
Old 28 December 2003, 04:42 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Following our conversation, I did some reading on Rohypnol and GHB. To my surprise they are not always used to take advantage of the 'victim' but often just to make them feel; uninhibited, exhilarated and relaxed.

This point could be potentially used to find the perpetrator. If your friend happens to mention she felt really exhilarated that night to a few ‘suspects’ and wished she knew what made her feel this way as she’d love to feel like this more often, then the perpetrator, if I should use that word., might be so stupid, ‘full of themself’ that they might mention the spiking thinking that as she was so ‘into it’ that they could provide her with this or a similar 'experience' again. After all it’s not something you can get hold of without a dodgy contact.

Even if the ‘person’ seen her getting into the taxi legless, he/it still wouldn’t have known how the effect then affected your friend as the evening progressed after she had left the club.

Only a thought, but reverse psychology is a powerful tool when used correctly.

edited for clarity but still reads like ****

[Edited by Jye - 12/28/2003 4:44:43 PM]
Old 28 December 2003, 04:43 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Hope that made sense m8, reads like sh*t.
Old 28 December 2003, 04:49 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Jye - Got the gist perfectly . Interesting suggestion. Thanks.
Old 28 December 2003, 04:59 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

NP m8, she could have died, this is one of those drugs that when taken with alcohol she might have choked on her own vomit while unconscious. or even stopped breathing if she had heart or any other medical problems.

I think just spiking drinks with more drink, i.e. giving people doubles when they ask for singles etc, is bang out of order.

Personally If you ever find out who did do it, keep it to yourself and off SN and sort it out in your own way.
Old 28 December 2003, 05:46 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

I would report it to the police for a start. This is getting to be a bigger problem these days. A friend of a friend had her drink spiked down here in Southampton a couple months back- again, no memory, no bladder control, had to get her mum to pick her up.
Police also did a check on loads of drinks from a random club and found many were spiked (can't remember the numbers though).

Old 28 December 2003, 06:04 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I would report it to the police for a start.
I can't argue with you. In this case however, it's a bit complicated and ultimately not my call.

I'm also conscious of the fact that, given the time since the incident and the fact that there's no evidence as such, and hence no complaint, there's really not a lot the police could do.

The key here for me is to reduce the risk for others in the future and you've made me think. I may have an informal word with local police to see if there's any way they can raise awareness (through local / national media).

Thanks,

N

[Edited by Numptie - 12/28/2003 6:08:39 PM]
Old 28 December 2003, 06:08 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

You might find this Wiltshire Police press release of some interest.
http://www.wiltshire.police.uk/news/newsview.asp?id=292
Old 28 December 2003, 06:28 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks. There's nothing whatsoever on the website of my local force.
Old 28 December 2003, 06:41 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Found this ...

The scheme was unveiled just days after it emerged that one in 12 nightclub drinks were found to have traces of the drug Rohypnol.
Incredible !
Old 28 December 2003, 06:51 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

got to say that i think it's very likely that she just had too much to drink. i don't want to incite a row here, but women do not always react to alocohol in the same way as men do. they think they are ok, but then suddenly go over the edge. i am not talking about women who don't drink, i mean women who are seasoned drinkers. one particular example i know of has done all sorts of things, purely as a result of one or two glasses of wine more than she should have had. also women tend to feel worse about behaving drunkenly. men shrug it off "i was pissed; what do you expect?" women often feel bad after they have been out of control.

just my 2p. mail me if you want to discuss.
Old 28 December 2003, 07:00 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Arrow

PC - It's a fair and valid point. All I have to go on here is known history of this particular individual plus her word on the matter.

My initial thoughts were as yours but I subsequently changed my mind. I'm convinced that there was some degree of foul play here.

Cheers,

N
Old 28 December 2003, 07:11 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i also think this whole drink spiking thing has been wound up a bit by the press. "survey revelaed that 1 in 20 drinks in essex nightclub are spiked" what a load of BS. if that were true, there would be a row of people passed out by the bogs. i'm sure rhohipnol etc are not that difficult to get hold of, but it's still not exactly something that your average man-about-town carries with him on a night out, *just in case* the opportunity arrises to slip it in someone's drink.

maybe in the case you are talking about something did happen, but i don't think it's as widespread as poeple believe.

no ****** ever spiked my drink when i was down on my luck
Old 28 December 2003, 07:26 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Charlie, I'd be the guy who served you a glass of cola or whatever with the rim smeared with voddie, all in the name of your good health and liver of course

jye <----- greedy for drink, anyones
Old 28 December 2003, 07:29 PM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

Tw interesting points bout 'spiking'. The makers of rohypnol(spelling?) have now added an additive which when administered to a clear drink turns it milky, if the drink is not clear it will seem murky and cloudy. That's a big step forward. The more worrying is the emergance of mixing the 'spikes'. I have heard of a mix with the hipnol and a horse type veterinary drug which can sterilise females! Now that is scary.

I'm not scaremongering but i cannot count the times in clubs i see men and women walking away from drinks for a dance/chat etc. A couple of clubs in manchester now give glass collectors stickers to place on unnattended drinks which say 'HAS THIS DRINK BEEN SPIKED?'. Good idea.

If your friend is not well get her to a doctor, tests etc can be carried out, even if not for the drug itself but for symptoms coming from it.

Worth a mention to all friends on this board, take care out there!!
Old 28 December 2003, 07:29 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

so you'd cheat me out of the double i ordered?

ah well - here's to new year's resolutions...

...may they last well into the first week of february.

Old 28 December 2003, 10:35 PM
Luke
BANNED

A certain bar in london has a policy of checking ladies who apear to be out of it. They ask the lady if she realy knows anyone taking her home and make sure they are captured on very high quality CCTV this is made clear to all. The bar is taking this matter very seriously as they dont want to find themselves been sued. It could be possible in the future. The bars will be made to ensure the safety of anyone whist on their premises.

It was very hard for me to get my wife to understand. She has a great job in the fashion business and attends many parties where drugs are taken. She never "Returns to a drink". once "Left " it is "Finished"

[Edited by Luke - 12/29/2003 8:38:31 AM]
Old 28 December 2003, 11:48 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Numptie,
I have taken this info out of my wifes 'New' magazine January 2004 edition.

The three drugs believed to be most commonly used are GHB, ketamine, and benzodiazepine (Rohypnol is a benzodiazepine).

GHB passes through your body in 12 hours, Rohypnol in about 48 hours.

However private forensic labs, such as Surescreen Diagnostics, can sometimes test your hair for Rohypnol even months later.
(there wasn't an address or telephone number for the lab mentioned).

For support and advice contact Roofie by calling 0800 738 2980 or visiting www.roofie.com
Also try the rape Crisis Federation call 0115 900 3560 or log onto www.rapecrisis.co.uk

The last number perhaps isn't pertinant in this case, but they may have knowledge regarding 'after the event' drug testing.

Cheers
MTR
Old 29 December 2003, 12:11 AM
doorman
Scooby Regular

see this about two weeks ago.a girl was fine than in just a short space of time came outside then she went all wonky sat down head in hands stuff.got her a cab got her mate then sent her home.this is going on every where. most don't see it.