Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

But Grease is ****...

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2003, 11:00 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

How can Grease be better than West Side Story, The Sound Of Music or My Fair Lady?

Ahh well....

UB
Old 27 December 2003, 11:01 PM
Neverguess
BANNED

Talking

Ooooooooooh did it win????
Old 27 December 2003, 11:02 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Yes. That sad crap won. Not happy...[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

UB
Old 27 December 2003, 11:03 PM
Neverguess
BANNED

It makes me !!!
Old 27 December 2003, 11:04 PM
Neverguess
BANNED

"There are worse things I could do....."
Old 27 December 2003, 11:07 PM
Zeolite
Scooby Regular

Where did Singing in the Rain finish?
Old 27 December 2003, 11:16 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

That came way down.... somewhere around seventeen as I recall...

Old 28 December 2003, 09:45 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

TOP TEN
1. Grease (1978)
2. The Sound Of Music (1965)
3. The Wizard Of Oz (1939)
4. West Side Story (1961)
5. Mary Poppins (1964)
6. Singin' In The Rain (1952)
7. Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
8. Chicago (2002)
9. Oliver (1968)
10. Moulin Rouge (2001)

(From BBC news)

Joolz
Old 28 December 2003, 10:38 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

For once I agree with a poll winner. Grease is a phenomenom that is still going strong today - it has all the proper elements of a musical without all the over blown pretentiosness that mars the likes of West Side Story and The Sound of Music.

It is what it is - damn good fun - nothing more nothing less -whether you see it as a movie or on stage.

The question I have is wtf is The Rocky Horror Picture Show doing in the list. It's the biggest load of sh1te to ever hit the screen/stage - the songs are pathetic, the story banal and as for the audience participation - if guys want to dress up in women's underwear they should just get on with it and not wait for this pile of crap to give them an excuse to do it!

tiggers.
Old 28 December 2003, 11:50 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I hate with musicals with a passion but I must admit Grease has a certain something to it.

Simon.
Old 28 December 2003, 01:06 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Grease is the Word

lol, i see its on again for 5 hrs today !

well i love musicals, been involved in Am Dram since 1985/6

always going to the theatre and managed to get to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in London in the summer whilst 'working' there

these sorta things are always v subjective.

i mean i was watching some of the Top 100 Greatest Men in Music on VH1 last nite....

who won that do u suppose ? Frank Sinatra was about 15th, Elton 7th, Elvis only managed 3rd.............Michael Jackson came 2nd and for the No 1 ?

Robbie fookin Williams.....i wtf ! compared to these other people he dont get a look in.......but this is of course imho !

so same with the Musicals one.....

my all time favourite musical is Les Miserable.....where did it come in the list ?

funnily enough i bought the recently released West Side Story Special Edition a few week ago and also Mary Poppins. When money permits they just re-released Fiddler on the Roof and i'll get Chitty sometime to.

personally RHPS does not appeal and tbh if anyone really thinks the film version of Chicago was any good
Old 28 December 2003, 04:27 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

i was watching some of the Top 100 Greatest Men in Music on VH1 last nite....

who won that do u suppose ? Frank Sinatra was about 15th, Elton 7th, Elvis only managed 3rd.............Michael Jackson came 2nd and for the No 1 ?

Robbie fookin Williams.....i wtf

LOL that is indeed vary sad. ‘The People’ once again demonstrate their collective stupidity when they are asked anything about culture. It seriously makes me worried about the current generation of youngsters growing up in this country that they think people like Williams are quality, let alone ‘great’ in some way.

It’s the same with voting Grease as the all time greatest musical. It’s probably the only ‘musical’ that any of them have ever seen and an insignificant piece of froth at best. Certainly not in the same league as West Side Story or My Fair lady.

As for calling West Side Story over blown and pretentious… that is a comment that could only be made by somebody who’s never seen it. It’s a masterpiece. All the contributors agreed that it is the best musical of all time, and even Richard O'Brien offered fisty cuffs to anybody who disagreed.

UB
Old 28 December 2003, 05:02 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Talking

ub,

As for calling West Side Story over blown and pretentious… that is a comment that could only be made by somebody who’s never seen it.
Wrong and err.. wrong

I have seen West Side Story on stage twice and it is very very good - personally I preferred it to Grease.

As ever though you misunderstand me (probably deliberately ). My comment regarding pretentiousness marring musicals such as these alludes not to the musicals themselves, but how they are perceived by the theatre going fraternity and the general public alike.

There is a certain amount of snobbishness in theatre circles (I know as I go fairly regularly) and works such as these tend to get caught up in this albeit not as much as some. The problem with this is certain sections of society feel a little alienated by the resultant reaction and hence the works themselves become tarred in the eyes of many and are perceievd as inaccessible.

Grease was never like that - it has always been a musical for the people and thus has had the opposite effect on many of the 'lovey' theatre going fraternity.

I still see younbg kids today watching Grease for the first time and being completely mesmerised by it - whether you or I like it or not it has got that certain something.

As for the Robbie Williams comment I agree he's hardly the greatest, but he is certainly talented. I replied to your comments in the post on RW the other day - you remember when you got confused between attitude/behaviour and talent.

Anyway your post of a couple of days ago declaring French and Saunders to be worth watching means all your comments on anything are now rendered worthless

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 28 December 2003, 05:21 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

I doubt Grease was the best "musical" ever (I liked it) but why is it **** ?
Old 28 December 2003, 05:58 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Grease is very accessible to the masses imho.

bright costumes, cheery songs, school / college based. kids having fun trying to circumvent authority etc etc

bound to be popular with lots more people than the likes of other less easy to get into musicals....

Old 28 December 2003, 06:50 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Tiggers, you said

Grease is a phenomenom that is still going strong today - it has all the proper elements of a musical without all the over blown pretentiosness that mars the likes of West Side Story and The Sound of Music.

And then you said

I have seen West Side Story on stage twice and it is very very good - personally I preferred it to Grease.

Is it any surprise that I “As ever misunderstand you” You keep shifting the goal posts.

I still see younbg kids today watching Grease for the first time and being completely mesmerised by it

Exactly. That’s the kind of mental age group it works on. It has all the intellectual content of a peanut. It’s the ones I can watch as an adult and be completely mesmerised by that I’m talking about. Anyway it seems that broadly we agree so that’s a good thing.

Robbie Williams

you remember when you got confused between attitude/behaviour and talent.

I remember you trying to pin that on me, yes. However I don’t think I have made any such mistake. Not only is Williams a yob, but IMO he has no talent. I don’t know quite how you would measure talent, but to me it usually means you have some kind of creative skill. Williams demonstrates no skill whatsoever. He doesn’t write his material and he can't play an instrument. His coarse vocal deliveries are of such limited range as to be little more than talking or shouting. His behaviour on stage is juvenile and rather pathetic to watch. I don’t regard running around and winking into the camera as performance ‘skills’ at all. And then of course there’s the ‘banter’. All that matey, matey, stuff that people love so much. That’s not what I would call a ‘skill’ either. Hopefully, one day, people will wake up to the fact that he is pretty crap. But on the results of that poll I’m not holding by breath.

UB

[Edited by unclebuck - 12/28/2003 6:51:53 PM]
Old 28 December 2003, 07:01 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

agreed UB on Robbie.

and yes Grease certainly has its place but as ever its how u decide the Top 100 and wot gets which position......

Criteria were ????

i mean wot about the likes of Cabaret ?

an adult musical if ever there was one given its subject matter etc

then there is my personal favourite of all time Les Miserables, 3hrs ish in length, heavy going at times to follow it all so another adult orientated musical i would say.

Chitty is the opposite......

i love 'em all though, from the always on the tv having been made into films to the ones u hardly ever see these days......
Old 28 December 2003, 07:10 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oi UB, SHUT IT!!!!
Grease is THE top musical in the world ever in the history of musicals in my book, and would only be closely followed by DIRTY DANCING. anyone know how that finished up in the top 100?

Cliff
Old 28 December 2003, 07:20 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Steve -

Grease certainly has its place but as ever its how u decide the Top 100 and wot gets which position......

Indeed. As an ‘entry level’ musical it is probably a good choice. It’s a shame that the voters don’t seem to have progressed from there yet. I noticed the programme is sponsered by the Daily Mail. Could explain a lot.

Then there is my personal favourite of all time Les Miserables, 3hrs ish in length, heavy going at times to follow it all so another adult orientated musical i would say.

Got to confess to never having seen ‘Les Mis’ but when it comes my way I’ll make a point of watching it. (It was permanently on in the West End when I was a student there, so no excuses)

i love 'em all though, from the always on the tv having been made into films to the ones u hardly ever see these days......

For me the golden era of the musical film was the 50s and early 60s. Discovering them (and the music of the period) has been a rewarding experience. People could really deliver a performance back then. When musicals went ‘all rocky’ in the 70s I generally switch off. Especially that Rocky Horror Show – ugh

UB
Old 28 December 2003, 07:37 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Never seen Les Mis !!!!

i've seen it bout 5/6 times i guess in London, Bristol and Plymouth, plus got the complete symphonic box set and a video of it

yep 50/60's v good, time of some big film version of musicals of course......Sound of Music / Hello Dolly....with a very young Michael Crawford ! / Guys & Dolls / The King & I etc etc

they dont make them into blockbuster films anymore....Chicago being the exception and they mite as well have not bothered.
Old 28 December 2003, 07:48 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Never seen Les Mis !!!!

Shocking, eh?

One of my mates used to work on Evita as an evening job, so I saw that from the 'gods' a few times. It was the classic Elaine Page production too. Does that make up for it?

UB
Old 28 December 2003, 10:28 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

no not shocking.

i just will not ever talk to u or reply to one of your posts again, til u prove u've stood in trafalgar square at 12 noon on a wednesday singing every Les Mis song

Evita....hmmm no it dont

but as a one upmanship......does it count that i know

jon lee, yes him ! cos he was a member of our Am Dram society a few yrs ago and played the lead in Oliver and The Boyfriend for us b4 moving to London and onto other (dare i say bigger and better )things starting with Oliver in the Palladium in London.......

Old 28 December 2003, 10:32 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Any musical with Olivia Newton John in satin trousers so tight she had to be sewn into them gets MY vote!!

Old 28 December 2003, 10:37 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

I thought they used grease to get her in, hence the title :confused ?
Old 28 December 2003, 10:41 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Wink

ahhha wondered when a sad no lifer would turn up in a sensible thread.

welcome TB.

just dont give it to all of us normals ok m8e
Old 28 December 2003, 10:44 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

What's your problem all of a sudden??
Old 28 December 2003, 10:45 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

I thought they used grease to get her in

OOh.. I'll use grease in a minnit... ooooh...

UB
Old 28 December 2003, 10:50 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

i have no problem.
Old 28 December 2003, 10:56 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

As long as you're convinced, that's all that matters i guess.

Next.
Old 28 December 2003, 10:59 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Wierd and nasty threads tonight, at a BBS near u ffs.

Quick Reply: But Grease is ****...