Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2003, 05:09 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

On telly ATM. Can't believe how dated it looks.. I went to the premiere of this movie and thought it looked amazing at the time. The quality of the CG animation seems very primitive indeed compared to movies that are around these days (Lord of the Rings etc) Scarey.

UB
Old 24 December 2003, 05:42 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

It is crap. IMO the originals, with their spaceships on nylon wires, and muppet-like models are far more realistic (!!) than the new, relying-on-CGI-technology films.

That, and the fact they have some sort of a story to them...

And... people in them with real screen presence, like Harrison Ford and Alec Guinness.
Old 24 December 2003, 05:49 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
It is crap, if you want wooden acting and no drama watch the new rubish. The originals were much better ground breaking films with some great actors and humour.
Old 24 December 2003, 05:52 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Must be on my own then

I like it and have it on DVD and I am still watching it
Old 24 December 2003, 05:59 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes , it is crap , whoever cast ewan mcgreger as obi wan wants their head testing .
Old 24 December 2003, 06:08 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

That little kid is particularily irritating.

UB
Old 24 December 2003, 06:22 PM
Scooby Drew
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I am a MASSIVE Star Wars fan -See this thread

The original trilogy are, and will always be classics - they have a story and great characters.
The cash-in prequels are dull, boring, sh1te - nothing more than special effects with characters in (the light sabre duels are good though )

My dad even fell asleep at the cinema watching Episode 2
Old 24 December 2003, 07:54 PM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

Just finished watching A New Hope

It's been a Xmas eve tradition ever since I was a little kid. Miles better than the new episodes although I feel people judge these a tad too harsh due to the excellent films they were never going to match, or improve on!
Old 24 December 2003, 08:51 PM
Lord Jeffery Wode esq.
Scooby Regular

it is pretty dire for most of the film. Action sequences do not make a good film.

However what really got on my nerves were the accents - the majority seemed to be japanese!!! and if it wasn't that then it was McGregors Alec Guiness impression. I'd rather listen to an whinging old trout sandpapering my head.
Old 24 December 2003, 08:55 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

The Phantom Menace is an appalling film. One of the worst examples of marketing triumphing over film content I've ever seen. Attack of the Clones is better. Well, it couldn't be any worse, could it?
Old 24 December 2003, 09:36 PM
MrBurns
Scooby Newbie

The Phantom Menace is maybe one of the worst films I have seen. That kid is extremely annoying. I don't think attack of the clones is much better either. Both use far too much CGI-technology. What made the original films so good was they did use quite a few real locations and props. Pretty hard to find any in the new films.

The quality of the actors in the new films is very poor bar none as well. They are desperately in need of a han solo comedian type character.
Old 25 December 2003, 01:22 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

One thing that struck me about the phantom menace is the characterisations. The 'owner' of Anarkin and his mother drew complaints from Jewish groups and others in the USA. Ja-Ja Binks - possibly the most irritating character in the history of film. WTF was the inspiration for him?

Other groups who may find fault with the film....Black people, Japanese and Chinese people and anyone who finds the idea that the good guys win by ACCIDENT is crap in any film that's not meant to be a comedy.

Vindaloo.
Old 25 December 2003, 01:29 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Cool

Changing the direction of the topic somewhat... It's good to see that the "cycle" has gone full circle...

Star Wars was IMO based on LOTR story-wise, and now, the cinematic techiques used for the Star Wars films have aided the LOTR films to transfer the magic of the story to film.

It's just pleasing to see that the LOTR doesn't rely on CGI to make a good film, and concentrates on a story, a plot... are you reading this Mr Lucas???
Old 25 December 2003, 10:34 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

reading that was almost as bad as sitting in a meeting with a bunch of IT geeks.

HAPC
Old 25 December 2003, 10:39 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well i don't mind the film actually
And i certainly don't mind Miss Portman

Old 25 December 2003, 10:45 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

are you reading this Mr Lucas???
... I honestly don't think he would care. IMHO he's just in it for the money - he'll get paid regardless. Star Wars has such momentum behind it that many people will see the final 'prequel' film regardless of how it's reviewed.

Yes, the LOTR crew are in it for the money, but they appear to have a drive to make all-round better films at the same time.
Old 25 December 2003, 12:05 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I think Phantom Menace whilst not great was better than the first two LOTR films which were boring , cheesy crap. The second one was so bad that around 10% off the people watching it left.

Attack of The Clones was good as was the Return Of The King. Unfortunately snazzy graphics are no replacement for good scripts.

Lets face it very few sequel type filsm work. How bad was the second matrix Film and the lst one wasn't exactly a classic was it !

AllanB
Old 25 December 2003, 12:59 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Theyre not a patch on the originals, especially Return Of The Jedi. But theyre better than any Star Trek and the like sci-fi.
Old 25 December 2003, 04:05 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Ohh dear - it was SO bad. Awful casting and acting. Schmaltzy & Cheesy & so hard to follow or get involved in. REALLY bad - stopped watching it after 40 mins - and had been so looking forward to it. Put Terminator 3 on instead from DVD - only slightly better...

Is this all to do with time, standards and expectations
Old 25 December 2003, 07:37 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Scoobydoo - I agree with you completely. Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan is just wrong - he is useless. Watching the making of it seems they spent so much on special effects that there was much of a budget for hiring actors. Most actors wanted minimal money just to be involved in the film. I think Lucas relied on this too much.

Simon.
Old 25 December 2003, 09:09 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Terminator 3? Don't get me started on that one. That film doesn't deserve to feature in the Terminator series. A reasonable action film by itself, but it's not the film that Terminator 3 should have been.

Back to Star Wars. I can only hope that Episode-3 continues the trend of improvement that Ep-2 showed over Ep-1. The film's to be released in 2005, isn't it?