Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Watch question - Come in please Yoza......

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2003, 03:57 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Got an e-mailshot yesterday from DOXA watches of Switzerland. I've heard of these, but don't know much about them. Had a look at the website, and they're not too bad looking, perhaps a bit chunky though.

Although I'm not considering buying one, I was wondering how they compare to similar watches eg. Omega Seamaster, Breitling SuperOcean, Rolex Submariner etc. as you don't seem to hear that much about them.

Cheers,

T
Old 23 December 2003, 03:58 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Those sound like sailor boy watches IYAM
Old 23 December 2003, 04:06 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Yes, the ones I was looking at were divers' watches.
Some pics.....

Old 23 December 2003, 04:34 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Tony,
They are a good "make" although little known. Probably not in the same league as Omega and certainly not Rolex, BUT they are not common which counts for a lot in my book!
Mossman
Old 23 December 2003, 11:57 PM
yoza
BANNED

FOR:-

Quality Swiss movement, 25 jewel/8 beats per second, so the sweep movement will be smooth ie 8 increments per second. This is a tried and tested movement, but is basically a 'standard' fit.

The components for the watch from what I can gather are Swiss made, so again tried and tested 'Quality'.

AGAINST:-

This is a 'replica' of a watch which had a "famous" history, but to be honest didnt ring any bells with me. For example, the Omega 'Moon watch' is a 'replica' of the watch which was worn on the moon, does ring a few bells, if you get where Im coming from.

The components for the watch are Swiss(which is fine), but I couldnt find where the watches were assembled. It seems to me that the company buys the individual parts then adds thier motifs and assembles the watches themselves.

My humble opinion.

I dont like the strap, the small shiney baubley type inner strap, contrasting with the dull outer looks tackey.

The case of the watch is too big compared with the bezel and the face.

It lacks 'engineering' for example why not have a hydrogen release valve, and/or a 24 hour pointer. Other watches around this price range do have. I understand its a 'replica' and the original didnt have, but I like the idea of 'gizmos'.

As you know I like my watches, and I have trouble NOT buying them, this one I havent bought...

But its all in the eye of the beholder, and all that. So if you like it, buy it.

Myself, I would buy a second hand Breitling SuperOcean Professional, Chrono Avenger, or B1. Or at a push, Omega Seamaster Prof fullsize auto, or Speedmaster.

Or better still 5 watches from POLJOT.COM take a look, read the spec, look at the price and be amazed.

PS. Im not an expert, nor do I have the best taste, I bought a Chase-Durer Trident FCX remember.

Happy hunting......

Yoza
Old 24 December 2003, 12:20 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

I want one
Old 24 December 2003, 12:22 AM
yoza
BANNED

PS. Search DOXA worldwide on E-bay. Doesnt inspire confidence.

Also, correction to the above. Doxa watches are built/assembled in BIENNE, one of the five or so main sites for watch making in Switzerland.
Old 24 December 2003, 12:26 AM
yoza
BANNED

Damian,
Check out the glass back, and bracelet options.

I have three on order, if I can figure out how to forward pictures I will. They are not all direct from Poljot though, got two off E-bay. Search 'Russian watch' worldwide.
Old 24 December 2003, 09:56 AM
yoza
BANNED

BTTT for Tony, just incase.
Old 24 December 2003, 09:58 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers guys, Yoza I agree with your observations.

I think the face is good looking, but the case is too big and ugly, and looks very 70s. I quite like the design of the bracelet, but I think it looks a bit too delicate for a 'divers watch'. I know what you mean about 'famous history' - I have only ever heard about DOXAs in the Clive Cussler novels, and didn't know about their association with Bugatti etc.

I used to have a Breitling SuperOcean, which was superb - really regret selling it. Big heavy shiny thing.
I have had an Omega Seamaster Professional (full-size auto) for 3 years, and its still my favourite. Must say, I like those Russian watches, they have a Breitling-esque military look to them.

Thanks for sharing your opinions everyone.

T
Old 24 December 2003, 11:03 AM
Luke
BANNED

for example why not have a hydrogen release valve,

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just in case you go swimming!!!!!

Its a banged up ETA with a tacky strap nocked out in China probably/.
Old 24 December 2003, 11:15 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Smile

The release valves are for helium, and are purely for gimmick value. They would only ever be of any use to deep sea saturation divers, who might spend time in pressurised conditions, and if this was you, would you take an expensive watch with you anyway ?

T
Old 24 December 2003, 01:51 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

chr-strmsk-ss18-208

Titanium (Built with the metal of old SS18 intercontinenetal nuclear missiles of the soviet army. A new kind of recycling of useful materials. Big solid watch in an army style.)

23jewels Movement
Mineral crystal
Tritium Luminescent
Hands/Numbers

Date
Diam 42mm x 12mm

Price 260 $
that is so cool! but they've sold out
Old 24 December 2003, 02:17 PM
yoza
BANNED

Hydrogen/helium release valves.....

Used to prevent possible watch explosion on returning to the surface after deep prolonged dives. The decompression valve vents the gasses which accumulate inside the case.

Now this is not a 'gimick', it is required if your diving to depths of 5000ft/1524m or more.

This is fitted to several of my watches.

OK Im not likely to need it, but its a nice piece of engineering all the same.

But if I was a deep sea diver, then I would want this device fitted to my watch, otherwise I wouldnt buy it.

I wont bother boring you with the 'gizmo' fitted to my Brietling Emergency through fear of further ridicule.....

And luke, if I remember correctly you have an Omega SeaMaster Pro, with this feature fitted. So dont take the pi55.

Later Yoza (watch bore 2003)
Old 24 December 2003, 02:23 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

yoza,
is that the brietling with the distress beacon built in?
how much do you reckon the bill would be if you set that badboy off by mistake
Old 24 December 2003, 02:39 PM
yoza
BANNED

It has a seal on the button that is none repairable, other than by a Breitling Sevice Centre. So when unscrewed the seal breaks, the airial is then deployed and signal transmitted. So they know you have used it. There is a fine for incorrect usage of £2000(I think thats what it was in 2001). But if you use it correctly (ie for rescue purposes) they will re-seal free of charge, which is nice of them.
Old 24 December 2003, 02:58 PM
Luke
BANNED

Yoza: Confirmed official Scoobynet Watch guru!!

Mines a Seamaster proffesional divers circ 1992. It does not have the valve. I laugh when I see the newer models with them on.."wonder what % are ever used!!"

Anyway ...happy Christmas to you and your Family...
Old 24 December 2003, 03:04 PM
yoza
BANNED

Thankyou,
My better half has a Quartz 3/4 Seamaster Pro, she thought the extra crown was for setting the date....
Old 24 December 2003, 03:20 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Cool

Gimmick or no gimmick, I like the release valve, and I think it makes the watch very distinguishable, even though I'm never gonna go on the kind of dives to need it. Did go scuba diving with it though, just so I could feel I'd not wasted my money !

Now, the Breitling Emergency is one serious piece of kit, possibly the most massive watch I've come across, and unique as far as I know regarding the transmitter. BTW, there are two types - one for civilian use, and another available for military types, that broadcasts on a military distress frequency (243 MHz I think).

That Lancaster Ltd Edition Breitling on here a few weeks back was just fantastic, especially as it had a story behind it for the lucky owner.

The Russian SS18 watch looks a bit scary. Made out of recycled nuclear missiles ? Does it come with a built in Geiger counter, or do you just wait until you start glowing in the dark. Did you notice the hands and numerals were Tritium coated ? Radio-active (although very mild), I thought this was discontinued years ago ? SuperLuminova seems to be the most popular luminescent material these days.

Watches, don'cha just love 'em ?

T
Old 24 December 2003, 03:25 PM
Luke
BANNED

get a copy of "Wristwatches" by Gisbert L. brumner and Christian pfeiffer-Belli. Published by Konemann. Big bloody thing that covers all the best watches in good detail.
Its in English also!!

Also have a look here

[Edited by Luke - 12/24/2003 3:28:12 PM]

[Edited by Luke - 12/24/2003 3:30:08 PM]
Old 24 December 2003, 03:30 PM
yoza
BANNED

I want a blow off valve thrown in for £70.00.

Nice link.