Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here

[Edited by 22BUK - 12/23/2003 1:02:47 AM]

[Edited by 22BUK - 12/23/2003 1:03:21 AM]
Old 23 December 2003, 09:55 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I heard this story on the radio last night - a very sad story. Personally, I think British Gas gave a poor excuse - and find it very callous. To me it seems like procedure getting in the way of common sense. I can't see how a human-being working for British Gas would not of questioned the situation.
Old 23 December 2003, 10:02 AM
===WRX===
Scooby Regular

horrid..just horrid, shows the state of this country......money and profit first, people last......

jay
Old 23 December 2003, 10:20 AM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

I saw this on the news last night - the comment was made that the couple had plenty of cash, so it wasnt an inability to pay that was the problem. BG tried to contact them 11 times, they had the cash, they wouldnt pay their bill - what are the options?

I think there's some media spin here - what a terrible country we live in, etc, etc. Its not a good situation, but im not entirely convinced that BG are at fault.
Old 23 December 2003, 10:27 AM
adpd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

It is just a shame that it takes such an incident to be the catalyst for change.

Lets hope they sort this out so that it doesn't happen again.

Needless... simply needless waste.
Old 23 December 2003, 11:05 AM
wannabeScooby
Scooby Regular

Of course BG aren't at fault. They didn't pay the bill... so BG cut off the supply (as would any company providing a service if you didn't pay). They didn't lock them in the house and murder them.... how BG are even in the equation baffles me! It's a sad and tragic thing, as is any death... but it's not a scandal!

Mustafa!
Old 23 December 2003, 11:47 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

That's assuming you class heating as a "service" - for some it would be better classed as a necessity.

Old 23 December 2003, 12:19 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

No,its not British Gas's fault. After all you can't go shopping in Tescos then just walk out without paying which is pretty much the same thing.

I have cut many ppl off over the last 25years for non-payment of gas. Most were scummy types but nowadays these just dont bother paying then get the council to bail them out by saying that theyve got kids so they need gas to heat the water and the house. Far as I'm concerned it should be if you dont pay thats it. They dont just cut ppl off for nothing. They are always given every chance to pay up.

Chip.
Old 23 December 2003, 02:39 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

agree with your comments chip.

i think the real issue is what failed??

was it the system or the service...

if they refused to pay up the fair enough but if they had payed for xx years on the dot with no trouble then i do question what happened..

AFAIK and please correct me if i am wrong ,, it was my understanding that in cases of genuine hardship, personal risk then the following magical words should be applied...

Discretion & common sense

to blame a failure on an act is a cop out (sic)

the data protection act would have have prevented personal details from being released, however a simple call along the lines of

there are people in a house in xx road who may be in difficulty

are you aware of any persons in that location ??

social services have teams of investigators who can follow up leads/ tips

i also belive that in extreme circumstances data may be released if it is to prevent loos of life or to prevent an emergency situation.

no doubt there will be hand wringing and enquirys but no one will become accountable..

the other question is sureley the persons who cut them off should have advised them of what happened and there next course of action..

companys may be bound by the data protection act, but individuals arn,t afaik

surely there is a moral obligation to inform ss if they suspect someone at risk

mart
Old 23 December 2003, 03:22 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I couldn't work this story out. Are they saying that:

a) the fact that they were cut off caused their deaths, or
b) that BG must have known something was wrong (e.g. they had died) by the non-payment so should have informed social services?
Old 23 December 2003, 03:42 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

sureley the persons who cut them off should have advised them of what happened and there next course of action
They would have known as access to the house would be required.

to blame a failure on an act is a cop out (sic)
As you say. It is an act of parliament.You cant pick and choose where and when you abide by these things.

They also had over £1400 in cash in the house so money wasnt a problem here. Think a lot of it lies with the older generation. They wont accept help from anyone always wanting to do things there own way. My Father in -law is like that now.

No-one at Brit Gas would have thought that these people would die from whatever they did die of. The gas supply to the house was disconnected in August when we had record temps. You would not think of ppl freezing etc at this time of year.

Chip.
Old 23 December 2003, 10:48 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I think the important fact here was the ages involved (89 and 86). Were they capable of looking after themselves at that age??
There was £1500 in the house and £20,000 in a bank account - but did they even know it was there??
British Gas should have informed Social Services that they had cut off two pensioners, regardless of their financial circumstances.
Old age is a terrible thing ---- now what was i talking about.....................