Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gary Jules IS the Christmas Number One

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2003, 06:57 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

From nowhere with his cover of Tears For Fears - Mad World.

Told you this song was a winner. LOL There will be a lot of pissed off record company types out there this evening. Well chuffed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/top40/

UB

[Edited by unclebuck - 12/21/2003 6:58:58 PM]
Old 21 December 2003, 07:05 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Renews my faith in the record buying public, its a lovely song, not exactly a Christmas song but perhaps it suits the mood ?
Old 21 December 2003, 07:07 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

It's an absolutely corking track but hardly what you want to put on on Christmas day over lunch is it? It'll have the nation stabbing themselves in the chest with their forks! Not exactly from the "Here's to you Merry Christmas" school of no 1's is it?
Old 21 December 2003, 07:08 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Donnie darko obviously has a a huge cult folowing
Old 21 December 2003, 07:15 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

It's very rare these days for a cover to actually improve on the original, but this version takes the song to a different place (and I'm a big fan of the TFF original).

It just shows that given the choice people can still recognise quality. All those Idols, The Darkness, and the Osbournes will be crying in their collective soup this Christmas. Excellent..

UB

Old 21 December 2003, 07:18 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Its sounds like a bad interpretation of micheal stipe tho!
Old 21 December 2003, 07:21 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Utter $hite song im surprised it made it into the top ten just my opinion.Its depressing,never gets going hardly xmas material

<rant over>
Old 21 December 2003, 07:26 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"All those Idols, The Darkness, and the Osbournes will be crying in their collective soup this Christmas."

are you mad???

the mention pop idols on the verge of making millions, you mention the darkness at the end of their first big year and, i assuming enjoying their first taste of wealth and the osbornes who have more millions than they need.

you think they will care that some bloke doing an REM voice with all the enthusiasm of morrisy on a bad day has got xmas number 1.....i doubt it!

T
Old 21 December 2003, 07:26 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Never mind... You'll have to make do with the Cheeky Girls.

LOL
Old 21 December 2003, 07:28 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

"pop idols on the verge of making millions" ah - that old MYTH again

Let's look at some FACTS. In order to earn money from record sales to need to sell a lot. Much more than you can in the UK market alone. Idols are rightly unknown or ignored in ALL other territories, because they are crap. The other way to make money from record sales is to get royalties based on rights to the music and the lyrics. Again, idols niether compose music OR write the lyrics of the songs they sing. Therefore they are not making anything like what you imagine.

Finally, what they are earning now will have to support them most likely for the rest of their lives when teir 5 minute careers end. Based on this they ain't doing well at all financially.

UB

[Edited by unclebuck - 12/21/2003 7:43:31 PM]
Old 21 December 2003, 07:44 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

last years top three where darius, gareth and will....you make more than any of them?

T

ps- darius is in the papers today as he suns himself with some topless lass......he didn't seem to fussed about xmas number 1!
Old 21 December 2003, 07:46 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

As for The Darkness, it won't be long till everyone see them for the phonies they undoubtedly are, then they will just quickly fade away. A Zig Zig Sputnik for 2002.

The kiss of death came for them when Blair declared he was a fan. There's no way back from that.

UB
Old 21 December 2003, 07:48 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

last years top three where darius, gareth and will

Quite, and where are they this year...? Oh, nowhere to be seen. What a surprise.

UB
Old 21 December 2003, 07:58 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

errr....are you digging your own hole?

Will is number two in the Album charts.

Old 21 December 2003, 08:12 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Is he? Well, he ain’t going to make anything like as much from it as a bonafide artist would for the reasons I outlined above.

BTW do you know how album charts are made up in this country? It is not based on actual sales but on block sales to major retailers. HMV, Virgin etc all buy x thousand copies each and these are regarded as ‘sales’. So, Will releases his latest album of Kareoke nonsense and bingo the album charts. Thing that you forgot to mention is that it will fall out again just as fast. It looks as though he’s doing really well – but it’s a smoke screen. Trust me you will see loads of copies of this in the bargin bin in a couple of months time.

UB
Old 21 December 2003, 08:14 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Thumbs up

I heard the original again the other day - how different and upbeat is it in comparison. The cover might be a bit slow and morbid tempo but at least its well done, simple, in tune and not over-produced!
Old 21 December 2003, 08:16 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

UB, you also forget that only a fraction of their income is made from actual record sales.

Granted, the writers will make the most money, as always, and rightly so!!! (i'm one of em!! ), but unless you've got personal knowledge of the types of income that can be generated from TV rights, PRS, PPL, radio play, I would think twice about what you're posting

EG Will Young had to perform on the American Idol final which was a nation-wide broadcast. Due to how many people viewed that, he made more from that one showing, than all of his TV stuff in the UK all year..... not bad for 5 mins work!!!

BTW Not having a go, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion

Dan
Old 21 December 2003, 08:19 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add, well chuffed about Mad World

Dan
Old 21 December 2003, 08:19 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

ub,

You're like a one man crusade againt the Pop Idol artists - what's up with that? Bands/artists have been manufactured like this for many years now (for instance where do think Robbie Williams came from?) so why are you picking on these specifically.

It should also be noted that good though it is Gary Jules wrote neither the music nor the lyrics to Mad World and has never had a hit before in the UK or Europe, but because you happen to like it I guess that's OK!

tiggers.
Old 21 December 2003, 08:20 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Well, he ain’t going to make anything like as much from it as a bonafide artist would "

no he wont..and simon cowell will make 10 times as much but he has bought a £750k house and has an album and single at the top of the charts so i dont expect he's too glum.

gareth has very publicy done deals with pepsi an wella as well as having songs still in the charts...again, i doubt that leaves him short of a few bob?

and darius writes his own stuff (not some cover version like judge jules or whatever his name is!) so doesnt give up what the others do.

these are young kids making a LOT of money doing something they love.

T
Old 21 December 2003, 08:21 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Well I do have *some* idea. TV rights, PRS, PPL, radio play, is all very well... till it stops. Idols have a *very* short shelf life. It also depends of course on what kind of deal you have. For example you are *always* hearing Massive Attack tunes on the BBC as background music to dicumentaries, teasers etc but I happen to know they don't make a penny from this as they were paid a one off fee. Whoops..

UB
Old 21 December 2003, 08:23 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Tiggs how long do you think those deals last? Six months maybe?

You're right about Cowell though. That's what I hate. The exploitation and the cynicism.

Which is why it's great to see a *quality* song beating them at their own game made by an artist who is there on merit and not hype an' hair gel.

UB

[Edited by unclebuck - 12/21/2003 8:27:11 PM]
Old 21 December 2003, 08:25 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Yeh, the Beeb and most other video production houses (including library writers) are trying to get one-off fees [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I also agree with your point about the shelf-life of bands - which is why these forumlated bands will die off very quickly. A sign of the times in record production.

Still, it's a great way to make a living (from my point of view anyway - sit in my own studio most of the time writing material, then, off on a jolly to a nice London-based studio to finish it all off!!!!)

It's a hard life!!

Dan
Old 21 December 2003, 08:31 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I still think the best Christmas Number one was Iron Maiden with "Bring your Daughter to the Slaughter" very catchy tune and stuck two fingers up to the Record company bosses with the Dross they dish up. Lovely T-shirt as well though Girl friends Mother didn't like it when I wore it out with her? LOL
Old 21 December 2003, 08:31 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

ScoobyDoo555 - I used to do production and pre-production for a living, which is props why I get so worked up about these 'talent' contests. It's pure bull****.

The reason I'm so excited about Mad World is that I used to work a bit with some of TFF so I know that they were quality artists. It's hard to explain what a phenomenon they were at their hieght. They make a *lot* of money.

BTW - the BBC certainly got their money's worth with that particular deal.

UB
Old 21 December 2003, 08:36 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

how long does it last? i have no idea? does a factory worker in newcastle know if their job is safe next year? whats the point you're making?

these kids have chossen a job...they are doing it better than anyone else (entertaining 15 million on a sat night puts them at the top of the tree when it comes to entertainment) and are making money...if it goes pearshaped thats their lookout, its theirs to loose, as is anyones job.

just to clarify my stance....

I hate the idol thing, i think anyone who has an idol is one of lifes loosers....admire and respect but to idolise is to create a glass ceiling for yourself. i run my own business and admire good business men- i idolise no one though as to do so would stop me beliving i will one day better those i admire- i have had this view since i was 8.

i dont like the music (the pop idol music is cool though as it covers all sorts of stuff), i dont like Dr Fox, I dont have much time for fat people and i think Michelle is an arrogant lump of lard. Ant and Dec are funny little guys, simon cowell i admire for what he's done and pete waterman deserves anyones respect for spotting what the public will lap up over 20 years.

I also think phone votes are for mad people and Will young is going bald.

However.....all these people have choosen a job and, right now, are doing it better than most and earning better than most- good luck to them.

T
Old 21 December 2003, 08:38 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I used to work a bit with some of TFF
Good God!!!

Did an album mix with Dave Bascombe(TFF) (for UB40) - small world eh?

Dan
Old 21 December 2003, 08:44 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

But what about all the others that Cowell crushed under his boot? All in the name of entertainment? The morals of this sort of thing are very questionable. His is not a person to be admired IMO.

As for Waterman, he is a ****. He has singlehandedly done more harm to British pop over the years than anyone else. Look at the rubbish he has been responsible for.

UB
Old 21 December 2003, 08:47 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I thought they were produced by Ian Stanley? Anyway, it was an 'after they were famous' kind of thing at their studio outside Bath. Very nice it was too.

UB
Old 21 December 2003, 08:48 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

who cares who they crush.....every business has its own crushed people. even bigger pat on the back for those that make it- they all know the score when they take part.

and just because you think its rubbush doesnt make it so.....my kids love Steps, when my 7 year old is next dancing round her room to petes work i'll stick some mad world on for her....see what she makes of that!

Quick Reply: Gary Jules IS the Christmas Number One