Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UK drinking culture - I don't get it!

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2003, 01:39 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Being Christmas I have noticed a few posts on here recently about office parties and the likes with the posters informing us how much alcohol they had consumed and one even lsting out every drink he had consumed that evening with the subtext being 'what a big man I am because I can consume this much alcohol'.

This made me think about something that has bugged me for years. Why is it considered 'big' and 'hard' to be able to consume large amounts of alcohol? Why do people boast about how much they had to drink? Does the ability to be able to consume large amounts of alcohol make you more of a man? I don't get it and never have.

This seems to be more prevalent in the UK and particularly in male dominated environments/occupations. Working as I do in the USA and the UK it is interesting to see the difference in culture. In the US people go out to have a good time and maybe end up getting drunk whereas in the UK they go out to get drunk and maybe end up having a good time.

So come on then tell me - why in the UK is the ability to drink a lot and then boast about it so 'cool'?

tiggers.
Old 21 December 2003, 01:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

Personally, the only way to have fun and be able to have a good time in this deeply depressing country is to be drunk. It's a (legal) aid to letting myself forget (all for the night at least) all my woes.

Sad, but that's the way it is for me

That's why I drink, and I'm sure a good number of people here do so for the same reasons

[Edited by ALi-B - 12/21/2003 1:45:27 PM]
Old 21 December 2003, 01:49 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

No, you miss my point!

Getting drunk is no problem, but do you think it is 'big' and 'tough' to do so. Do you boast about how much you drank afterwards.

Plenty of people do and that's the bit I don't get!
Old 21 December 2003, 01:51 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I dont think people do think its big and tough as yousay. I think the people that you see acting this way will act like this regardless of if they are drunk or not.
Old 21 December 2003, 01:51 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

I tend to brag about how much fluid I can throw back up

but I'm not normal

Phil
Old 21 December 2003, 01:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
ahh, I see

I'm not really one who goes round say I drink this much this or that...all I ever say is I got well and truely hammered, and I wouldn't be able to quote what and how much I drunk as I truely would not remember!

Except a drinking pact I had a while back with a mate trying to drink as much as we could - again I don't remember that much though

Hmmm, am I boasting now? oh I dunno! ...think I'll stay out of this one
Old 21 December 2003, 02:06 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

do you think it is 'big' and 'tough' to do so. Do you boast about how much you drank afterwards
I love getting drunk, its letting go of everything and when done in the company of other like minded people it is excellent fun, especially the unpredictable results!

I don't drink to look big or tough, however to some people it is a supplement to something that is lacking in themselves.

I'm not sure it is entirely fair to say that Britain's love of booze is all about being macho, however I think the Brits abroad / football yobs has gone some way towards propogating this perception.

[Edited by ajm - 12/21/2003 2:07:05 PM]
Old 21 December 2003, 02:52 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

it show how hard you are because you can drink more poison without dying than someone else.

people who are 'ard' can probably take more punches than an old librarian or pslewis because they is 'ard'. sort of self explanitory
Old 21 December 2003, 02:59 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

pmsl!
Old 21 December 2003, 03:03 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I agree with tiggs people turn into a$$holes when they drink as they think they are invincable

bit like pete i suppose
Old 21 December 2003, 03:24 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Question

So leaving aside the alcohol question (we'll return to that one later) does being 'ard' make you better person than someone who is not 'ard' then?
Old 21 December 2003, 05:39 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

how is this for hard!

[Edited by imlach - 12/21/2003 5:40:22 PM]
Old 21 December 2003, 05:45 PM
ChrisB

That's nails!
Old 21 December 2003, 05:54 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

in the context of this thread im not sure if that is 'hard' or not.

to be honest only pople that tend to brag are those that brag about most things. ie bet my cars faster than yours, my dads harder than your dad etc'

the others who say how much they drank mostly do it to explain for shocking behaviour. ie 'yeh i know, but id had 8 pints, 4 vodkas etc etc'. therefore not being 'hard' but actually quite soft beacuase of the urge to justify themselves to others
Old 21 December 2003, 07:32 PM
200+Bhp
Scooby Regular

everything in moderation or for relaxing purposes
Old 21 December 2003, 07:48 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It's all John Wayne's fault....
Old 21 December 2003, 09:01 PM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

This made me think about something that has bugged me for years. Why is it considered 'big' and 'hard' to be able to consume large amounts of alcohol? Why do people boast about how much they had to drink? Does the ability to be able to consume large amounts of alcohol make you more of a man? I don't get it and never have.
The worst offenders are Geordies, Teesiders, Mackams, Monkey Hangers.....I can see a pattern forming.
Old 21 December 2003, 09:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Tiggers,
You're right about the UK vs USA thing. The seven of us have gone out on the lash here and got totally pished, simply as it's good to get loose every once in while. Being british we expect to see pish heads wandering the streets at closing time, but we've not really seen that here, even downtown, maybe it's the reserved Canadian nature? dunno, but we have been frowned at a few times, for stuff in the uk which would simply elicit a giggle.

I've never been able to hold my booze, and it does not bother me, mainly as it means I'm the somewhat sensible one, well, if you discount pagan fire dancing I have on a few occasions be ratted, but not ratted enough that I can't help people get into flats and stuff like that. A few of the guys did take the pish once about me not being able to match them pint for pint, and they kept buying me pints. in the end I had about five or six in front of me, told them not to buy them, would they listen? nah, so it was their loss, told em that they could have my pints, as it'd save me the price of a round, that kinda got it through to them

The other thing I noticed in the US, and not so much in Canada, is that the beer is not that strong, I've quite happily got through about 10 bud lites (lite does not mean low alcohol, means less sugar, and it's stronger than the normal bud), and the yanks were looking at me funny, mainly as I was still walking, try that with 10 pints of wife beater and I'd be like a fish on the floor

I certainly don't rate someone's 'hardness' by the ammount they can drink, it's their liver, let em pickle it
Old 21 December 2003, 11:57 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It shows that you have invested time and money into training your body into a temple of beer devotion.
Having been brought up in Newcastle and spending my time in thousands of pubs from east to west coast you can really appreciate the lads who are at the pinnacle of ale consumption.
The huge beer gut sagging over the belt seperates the men from the "shandy drinking" poofs who have the occasional lager top, or (and they do exist) the lager and lime brigade !!!
When the bar brawl kicks off the devoted drinker never spills a drop, even while propelling a bar stool into the monkey hanging scum who have accused the bird of being a slag.
Being a winner at the majority of the "who can **** up the wall the highest" competitions I think its fair to say that after you have had a few beers, things like darts & pool become huge tests of stamina and concentration, and theres dominos for the ones who can't stand.
Theres something about waking up and not having a ******* clue how you got home, some **** has taken all the money from your wallet, you stink of smoke and kebabs, your clothes are covered in mud, theres a traffic cone (or roadsign) in the kitchen with one of those flashing light things, and you wonder who spewed in the bathroom.......... then just to top if off one of your mates who always drinks coke shows you a polaroid of you snogging some minger, you are right mate, beer must be bad for you!

Anyway enough about beer bragging, believe it or not I have even seen people on this very BBS coming up with brags about cars:
My standard scoob was clearly quicker than his modded saxo etc etc yawn
some people just brag, thats life, and some people cant handle beer, thats also life
Old 22 December 2003, 09:09 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Those that brag that they drank xx amount of drinks consumed are doing it to 'try' and be 'ard.

Why do people find it necessary to keep count of how many drinks they have From experience, most people would lose count after the first few anyway, you can be assured that many would be too pished to even remember what they drank, let alone how many. It's pretty sad some bother to actually count their drinks.

There's a guy on another bb I use, he is always going on about his 12 hour binges and then brags he had 10+ pints - x amount of doubles - x amount of alcopops consumed and he can remember this important info......... yeah right - lol
Old 22 December 2003, 09:39 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Redkop,

That's my point entirely - why do they do it?

There was a post on here the other night where the poster apologised if his post didn't make sense as he'd had n pints of this, n shots of that ....

So he was so drunk he couldn't put words together properly, but he could remember every drink he'd had - weird!

tiggers.

[Edited by tiggers - 12/22/2003 9:40:16 AM]
Old 22 December 2003, 12:34 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Amazing innit?
Old 22 December 2003, 12:37 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

I agree with tiggs people turn into a$$holes when they drink as they think they are invincable
you go out with the wrong people my friend
Old 22 December 2003, 12:41 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

V45DSM - what are:

Mackams, Monkey Hangers

???
Old 22 December 2003, 12:54 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Generally I go out with friends to have a good time and a laugh. I mostly have a few drinkies, and sometimes get well hammered (stop laughing at the back).

I dont care how many I have had, or what i've had. At the end of the day I turn in to a giggling buffoon, that dances like a chicken to anything vaguely musical and tell all me mates that I love them.

I dont turn into an aggressive retard cos thats not how I am.

I drink for pleasure and not as a competition, although I have mates that do that. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 22 December 2003, 12:59 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Generally I go out with friends to have a good time and a laugh. I mostly have a few drinkies, and sometimes get well hammered (stop laughing at the back).
That is what I would call perfectly normal - you go out to have a good laugh and end up getting drunk.

It's the other way round I don't understand! Still maybe I'm weird.

tiggers.
Old 22 December 2003, 01:00 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

yes you are !!
Old 22 December 2003, 01:06 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks mate - I knew it had to be something like that
Old 22 December 2003, 01:07 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 22 December 2003, 01:23 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Smile

i can never remember how much i've drunk after a night out. all i can usually remember is that i started out somewhere with a wad of money in my pocket and finished up somewhere else with a few coppers. sometimes i remember to transfer the taxi fare to a different pocket so i can get home, sometimes i don't.

Quick Reply: UK drinking culture - I don't get it!