Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have people in London got more money than sense

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2003, 11:33 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Having just watched the Million Pound Property Experiment, I can't believe that anyone in their right minds would pay £1.25million for what was basically a tarted up 2 up 2 down terraced house. It was tiny.
Who gives a **** about location.
Buy a big house in the country and stay in a hotel if you have to be in London during the week.
If there is a house price crash in London, then quite frankly the muppets deserve it!!
Old 17 December 2003, 11:49 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

In the scheme of things- that was a cheap property for london....
Old 17 December 2003, 11:53 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Expensive place to buy.

£200k will get you a 1 bed flat in an average area that sill has 3 times the national average crime rate.

I'm looking at a place in N8, 2 bed, house conversion - £300k. I could get the same flat, in a better area in Leeds for £75k - £90k.

Fooking scandalous place to live. Sh1thole too.
Old 18 December 2003, 12:00 AM
snowybear
Scooby Newbie

Angry

its not only the house prices,we get ripped off on everything down here,money goes absolutely nowhere
Old 18 December 2003, 12:00 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

yes.
Old 18 December 2003, 12:02 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Supply & demand my son, supply & demand.

The market will tolerate what people are willing to pay.

Easy.

Sure, one could live in a hotel all week and have a place in the country, but funnily enough, not everyone can be ar$ed with that, hence they live in the city and are happy to compromise on space. They want to be 2 minutes from the pub/curry house/chinese/supermarket/school/work/etc etc rather than have to travel 20 miles for it.

[Edited by imlach - 12/18/2003 12:03:45 AM]
Old 18 December 2003, 12:05 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

More importantly would you buy ANYTHING from that pair of w*****
Old 18 December 2003, 12:12 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

No.

Old 18 December 2003, 12:26 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Classic quote from one of them on tonight's prog at frustration of maybe not making £1m :

"We don't want to just borrow £1m to make £1m, that'd be stupid"

Err....you did
Old 18 December 2003, 12:36 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Left the rat-race 4 years ago

Got top whack for our property, bought a nice place in the country, next to a pub - bigger etc etc. Just sold it & got a slightly smaller place (bigger garden) in a location to die for.

We are immensely happy & do not regret one little bit not being near a curry house blah blah.

If (as is a possibility at the moment) I get a job back in Central London, then I shall commute the 75-90 (sometimes more no doubt) minutes to work every day knowing that I'll be returning to something that most of the people who are frantically scrabbling about to buy a small pokey bedsit can only ever dream about.

**** living next to or near "everything" - life's too short to be struggling to live in a shoe-box. FWIW our house isn't a mansion, its a not massive 3 bed detached house.

Not worth the effort and especially when you get kids you realise.
Old 18 December 2003, 12:37 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

LOL.

Didn't see any of it, but that sounds like a big failure

Those 2 guys are too annoying - hence me not seeing any of it. More mincing between them than a Walls sausage factory.
Old 18 December 2003, 12:50 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

PTMW - of course, I am in your boat and would not give a hoot about not being near amenities, but my point is that for some people, this is important.

Each to their own etc. ie, in your 20's, most people do not want to live in the country and want to be near where it's at. Naturally people in their 30's and 40's with kids often prefer to be IN the country.
Old 18 December 2003, 12:56 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I would add, however, that a 90 minute each-way commute would be a no-no for me every day. I value my time more than that, and would pay more to live nearer work to avoid 3 hours per day of travelling time.

To quote you, PTMW, life is too short, and I'm afraid 3 hours every day commuting would pi$$ me off.

[Edited by imlach - 12/18/2003 12:57:45 AM]
Old 18 December 2003, 01:01 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't say London is a ****hole but it has its good and bad parts like most places. Its certainly livelier than many places but thats less important when you get a bit older. It is bloody dear though.

I does make me laugh that people rattle on about how much money they've made on thier house but the reallity is unless you prepared to move a long way out you haven't.

What part of N London are you guys from ?

AllanB

Old 18 December 2003, 01:07 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Work is a nice 15 min drive down some nice twisty country lanes. When I get home my place overlooks a lovely rural park in the greenbelt. Lots of farms all around, nurseries and rural Hertfordshire is just a few minutes away.

I'm very happy with where I am in Enfield, N London but I'm so glad a bought when I did or I'd not be able to afford a shoe box now and I earn a well aboove average salary for London so god knows how most people can afford it, err thats right they can't. I cannot see the properlty market increasing much more and indeed the signs are that its levelling off.

AllanB
Old 18 December 2003, 01:49 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Ah, Enfield isn't N London - faker! You're Middlesex.

I live near Turnpike Lane tube but have place in Crouch End and Muswell hill.

How you can say it's not a ****hole is beyond me.

I've lived in Germany, Italy, USA, Cyprus, France, N Scotland and can confirm that this is by far the worst place I've ever encountered. A dump with people that have no manners and worse driving skills. I thought Rome was bad - but London is worse, overall.

England is a nice country, on the whole, but London is a fooking dump.

That's a view from a Northern boy that's doing well, living in London. We'll move when kids come on the scene - no way I'd subject my babies to a 2nd class education and danger.

Old 18 December 2003, 07:56 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Yes, lots of cash, little sense but without the place the UK would be worse than it is already.
Old 18 December 2003, 07:56 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Fooking hate the place. Ive got more than enough amenities within 5 mins from my house and I dont live in london so that argument really doesnt wash unless you live for designer shops and harrods food. Really dont see the attraction. Plus if I ever need to go to london it takes about 40 mins on the train.

Simon.

Old 18 December 2003, 08:19 AM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

I remeber they did say that the retired couple had a rarther large house in the country and this was going to be their London pad. So they get the best of both worlds.

Si
Old 18 December 2003, 08:38 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

like imlach says - it depends what you want. when we were first thinking about selling the flat (last year) we looked around at "country" places, cambs, herts, essex, suffolk sort of location. at that time we were looking to spend about £250k and really didn't see anywhere that we wanted for that money. plus i wasn't sure if i could hack living around a load of bog hoppers and bumpkins. so in the end we bought a house in the same area, E17. It's not exactly the most desirable postcode in the world but that doesn't bother me. i've got a good house for the money, i've got the space that i want and i have no intention of moving for the forseeable future. the offy is 2 minutes walk away, the kebab shop 5 minutes. if i want to meet people in town the tube is 10 minutes walk. it works for me at the moment, so i'm not complaining.

[Edited by ProperCharlie - 12/18/2003 8:46:34 AM]
Old 18 December 2003, 08:46 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

One of the benefits of living in the boonies is open roads and lots of

CORNERS

Old 18 December 2003, 09:21 AM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

the offy is 2 minutes walk away, the kebab shop 5 minutes

You see how classy people from London are

id
Old 18 December 2003, 09:24 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Cool

id - that's me mate, pure class. i forgot the mention the greasy cafe that's between the offy and the kebabish - great for those hung-over saturday mornings. and the good thing is that they know what breakfast i have, so i don't even have to bother ordering. just slump into my usual table, they bring over the mirror and a mug of tea. heaven.

Old 18 December 2003, 09:27 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

Very few areas of London i'd like to live permanently. Many have gone massively downhill in the last thirty years or so, but that's another issue. It's still great for getting what you want/need though; there isn't much you can't get hold of in London.

[Edited by TelBoy - 12/18/2003 9:27:52 AM]
Old 18 December 2003, 09:34 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

London is a dump. I just couldn't live there, it would do my head in. It makes my heart sink every time I see the sprawling carbuncle from the air coming into Heathrow. Still, each to their own...
Old 18 December 2003, 09:39 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Got the best of both worlds here

I live in a very quiet hamlet with nowt but a pub and a couple of "local" shops. Got some of the best views around from my house. Only 2 mins in a car and I can be in a village with a top nightlife, indian, chinese, italian, english french restaurants all on one stretch.

Manchester city centre is a mere 5 mins by train with all the shops you could want.

I lived in London for 12 months and there is no way I would ever subject myself to that again.
Old 18 December 2003, 11:00 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Ah Turnpike Lane Ok I understand now. Muswell Hill is OK in parts . My Gran used to live between Turnpike Lane and Ottenham. Not a nice place at all, filthy, stank with lots of doggy people around.

AllanB
Old 18 December 2003, 11:04 AM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Black Bogeys Central

Old 18 December 2003, 11:17 AM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

I love the way one of those guys has got all the negotiating skills of George Dubbya and more camp than a field full of pink tents
I unfortunately missed it last night- how much did they make in the end?
Old 18 December 2003, 12:02 PM
DrJP
Scooby Regular

I live in NW London, I went to uni in London and have stayed for the last 15 years. I must admit I do find myself increasingly thinking 'Why do I live here'. I used to kid myself that it was near e.g. theatres/museams but guess what I never go to any.
I think I'll be making the move into the country soon, though my wife refuses to live in Wales where I'm from originally.

Quick Reply: Have people in London got more money than sense