Kidney Stones

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2003, 05:08 PM
248SPG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I found out yesterday I had a Kidney Stone

Not in as much pain anymore and feeling loads better.

Now here is my dilemma.

I am meant to be going to MPH03 tomorrow and wondered if any of you guys had suffered with this and how long it was before you were ok?? I really want to go!!!

I have searched the web and it says nothing about how long it lasts just every other detail about it
Old 11 December 2003, 05:22 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Never having had them, I can't speak with any authority, however:

- If you were in pain and now you're not now, the stone has probably moved and settled again.

- How long until it moves again? You'll know better than anyone. Take some heavy duty painkillers with you just in case.

Cheers
Kav

[Edited by Mark Miwurdz - 12/11/2003 5:23:50 PM]
Old 11 December 2003, 06:31 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Not really my field but what treatment are they giving you? If its "drink lots of water" then presumably it will take longer than breaking the stone with ultrasound.
Old 11 December 2003, 06:39 PM
248SPG
Scooby Regular

Yea its the "Drink lots of water and take loads of Pain killers" route.

Unfortunatly by the sounds of things

But I am feeling loads better abd have just eaten my first meal
Old 12 December 2003, 11:39 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

My dad gets them regularly, every 2-3 years. No worries now with the ultrasound hammer, just p1sses some 'gravel' and he's sorted.

It used to be agonising 15 years ago tho' -- the only options were surgery or the water method.
Old 12 December 2003, 12:10 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fresh orange juice helps dissolves the stones....
just one of my `natural remedies`, beats taking pills.

Joan.

Old 12 December 2003, 12:36 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Not necessarily Joan. It depends which type of the two sorts of stones you actually have. Fine with Calcium Carbonate stones , but the Calcium Oxalate stones are caused by too much orange juice, baked beans, tea, etc , so be wary of giving advice too easily...

I've had 3 removed, two by lithotripsy (ultrasound wave jobby), one by laser and grabbing tool through a catheter. Not nice, and i am likely to get them again as its a family failing.

If it's stopped hurting and its a "loads of water & painkillers" job, then they are relatively confident that its small enough for you to pass . Have you had a scan yet that has showed the stone (again oxalate stones are translucent to ultrasound scans, but not MRIs, whereas calcium carbonate stones show up on both)?

Alternatively they are waiting for it to really start hurting when they will intervene. Some symptoms aside from the back pain and lower groin pain can be misleading and scary, like a fever and blood in the urine, to the extent of it being bright red or strong tea coloured.

Make sure you have loads of serious pain killers, ie prescription drugs, if you go out, like Co-Drydamol or Voltarol,for instance, as if it shifts to the wrong place at any time, you will really know all about it. After my first lithotripsy, I was driving myself home, having ignored the doctor's advice to let someone else do it, and some of the fragments must have shifted. I nearly crashed the car, but just managed to get it to the side of the road and to crawl out onto the pavement where I curled up into a ball leaving the engine running and doors open (on the Old Kent road!!) After about 5 minutes it passed, but I couldn't speak nor hardly breathe during it. I've broken bones and done all sorts of stupid things to myself over the years, but this was unbelievable pain. They say that its the only way a bloke can understand the pain of childbirth. All I can say is if that's true, then I don't know how the human race has kept multiplying ...

Good luck