Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BT call centres, speak clearly...

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2003, 05:09 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I phoned BT yesterday to change something on my account, first dealings since the call centres moved to India. I had to give my credit card number, and first line of address. It took half an hour!! Twenty minutes to read a sixteen digit number!!
ME: four... five... three... eight
BT: three five two six
ME: No, no, four... five .. (repeat ad nauseum)
The guy dealing with the changes didn't seem to understand house numbers either. I think I was very patient, but for a very simple matter it was a long drawn out affair. Thankfully it was a 0800 number as I'd definitely cancel all accounts if I had to pay for the call!!
I wouldn't like to have to explain a problem to them.
Old 08 December 2003, 05:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Norwich Union have done the same thing. I had to ring them to get a letter to prove my NCB as I was moving over to Elephant (NU won't let you send the original docs, they want them back to cancel your insurance with them).

I explained that all I needed was a short letter confirming my current NCB. The woman at the other end of the phone said "We will renew your insurance". "Noooo, I am cancelling it, I am selling the car you insure and I want a letter about my NCB". "OK I have renewed your insurance". "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

I finally gave up. Over the next 3 days I had 7 letters from NU. Mostly with 1 or 2 sheets of paper, which were either letters confirming my NCB or partial copies of my Insurance certificate, schedule and other documentation.

I wonder if the money these companies will save by outsourcing is out weighed by the number of fustrated customers that leave them? I know I won't be going back to NU, can't trust them to get a simple thing right like sending an NCB confirmation, how much faith do I have they would have a clue if I needed to make a claim?

As for Elephant?? Did most of it online then called to check something out. Nice clear english from the bod on the other end, couldn't be more helpful 10 out of 10.

[Edited by OllyK - 12/8/2003 5:22:58 PM]
Old 08 December 2003, 05:32 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The first guy I spoke to at BT tried to be a smartarse when he told me I would lose my email addresses if I canceled an account.
ME: I would like to pay the £1.50 extra charge on my BT broadband and keep my addresses
BT: (You-are-thick tone) Why did you get BT broadband? If you had got BT Yahoo broadband you wouldn't have any extra to pay.
ME: Hmmm, BT phoned me a month ago, that's what they offered.
BT: ahh, ok.

I wouldn't have a problem with the call centres, but when I have to explain that EIGHT is a NUMBER between SEVEN and NINE, it develops into a frustrating waste of time.
Old 08 December 2003, 07:24 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Similar thing here as my bank has moved it's call centres to india. Instead of phoning them now, i'm going to go into the branch and bother them there. Will cost the bank more to deal with me.

It's only a little bit, but it'll cost them more to have my account.

John.
Old 08 December 2003, 07:37 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Norwich Union - yes, well I had to change a few details on the Motor Policy and was put through to either Bradford or India and struggled somewhat with the language. It's not that they don't speak good English, they DO! It's just that little 'understanding' thats not there ... it's a culture thing.

When I wanted to go ahead and re-new however I had an English lad who I could joke and have a laugh with ... a culture thing again!

I have noticed that when you are a NEW customer or a customer re-newing (ie. important to them) you get a UK call centre ......... for mundane queries and stuff its off to India.

I have to say that Norwich Union were absolutely superb 2 months ago when I claimed for water damage to the house - perfectly handled!

Pete
Old 09 December 2003, 10:17 AM
DAC
Scooby Regular

on the news the other night. - Australian call centre based in India - made them watch crocodile dundee 2/3 times a day for 2 weeks. - that was their training !

and apparently there are too many jobs now - not enought graduates, so they are struggling to get reliable, intelligent staff - as its seen as a studenty job - not a career.