Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

3 Speeding cameras in 2 weeks!

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2003, 01:12 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have held a clean licence for a number of years now and in the last 2 weeks I have been 'through' 3 'safety camera vans'.

1st one was while I was driving a Transit on the A1(m) northbound through 50MPH zone nr Sandy....was travelling between TRUVELOs at traffic speed when noticed everybody in front stamping on brakes...there was a bloody 'safety van' with its rear doors open (so you could see the clear markings on the side)...I was probably doing 55mph to 65mph

2nd one was on the A45 approaching coventry....again a 50mph zone again between Truvelos...doing 55mph to 65mph...slammed on brakes but not sure if too late.

3rd was on a sunday on A46 between coventry and warwick...3 clear lanes...ideal driving conditions...was coasting along between 95mph to 120mph when I saw another bloody 'safety van' on the bridge...again slammed on the brakes to around 50mph...

What a rotten couple of weeks!

I've been meaning to purchase a laser diffuser since I purchased the car (over 2 years ago) and have never got around to it...and boy do I regret it!

Any links to helpful websites which might help me out? Have heard of returning unsigned NIP etc?

Aren't all cameras supposed to be signposted?

Comments from the 'no speeding brigade' or 'tut, tut camp' not required.

Constructive comments gratefully received.

Regards,

Bob
Old 03 December 2003, 03:03 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

keep up the good work

with income like that they won't have to put my council tax up anymore

I was the same clean until I got the scoob now I've got 6

Craig.
Old 03 December 2003, 07:05 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Try the following sites, you may get help from them.

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/index.html
http://www.pepipoo.com/

Get that laser diffuser, Target LRC 100 and a Road Angel, level the playing field a bit. Be aware though that the diffuser is technically illegal.
Dont wait, contact K300, brilliant might well do you a good deal on both and the RA connector too.
Let us know if you hear anything.
STEVE...............
Old 03 December 2003, 08:12 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

You might not have definitely been caught...

First thing to do is wait for the NIP - allow up to 17 days. Technically it's 14 days, though. If the van's registered to you, the NIP'll come to your address. If not, it'll go to whomever owns it.
Second thing - upon receiving the NIP, if you do, request the photographic evidence to prove that you were the driver. (Sometimes they transpose digits of the numberplate... My brother was sent a NIP for speeding at 110mph on some road somewhere. He contested it, having never been to the area and we were sent the photo as "proof".... Proof of a black Ford Sierra caught on camera, certainly...just my brother owns a silver Celica...or did at that time - the only difference being that 2 digits of the numberplate had been swapped over.)
Thirdly - I'd wipe off your post above.. You've just admitted speeding.

The only one to really worry about from the above is the latter, where you state that you were travelling up to 120mph in a 50mph. If you get a NIP for that one, best thing to do is to seek legal counsel.
Old 03 December 2003, 08:48 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Why would he have to remove his post? He has a hotmail address so can't get any info on him there then. "Bob5" could be anyone.

Andy
Old 03 December 2003, 09:28 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I think using the legal loopholes may well work in the case of the 1st 2 because they probably can't be bothered to come after you for 5 - 10 mph over (depends on the police force) but for the last one, if they've recorded you doing the speed you reckon, they're gonna send Richard Brunstrom in person after you.

I assume all the devices were aimed at the front of your vehicle? If so, the loopholes may not work as they *may* have a pretty clear image of the driver.

Read Safepeed.org's info on unsigned forms, it's your best bet, but still somewhat of a gamble.
Old 03 December 2003, 09:31 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

I totally agree with the above. there is no need to remove this thread as "admitting speeding", if this is the case, then there is also now case above for "inciting to pevert the course of justice" by openly suggesting that "he remove this thread".
Be careful what you say or incite, there are many legal routes open to such wording.
Old 03 December 2003, 09:39 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

I would like to draw everyone's attention to the at the end of the sentence.

Seems it may have been overlooked....
Old 03 December 2003, 10:05 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

I thought I got caught at the Sandy one on 7th October, but no NIP so far:

Alcazar
Old 03 December 2003, 12:19 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Best insurance is to mail order a set of number plates from a dyslexic plate manufacturer as soon as you pick any new vehicle up. Appreciate can't always be done if your in a works vehicle/borrowed a vehicle ( carrying some electrical tape with you can work as a temporary measure). For the law to give you any more than a small fine they have to PROVE you deliberately acted to deceive...which with your mail order receipt you can act innocent!
Any "show" plate can be orderd without having to show V5, and show plates dont have to be miles smaller than a "legal" plate , be discrett(ish) about it...

Works for me since 1987!......
Old 03 December 2003, 01:32 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

You reckon you cant be traced via a hotmail account? You only need to use it ONCE when buying online and the whole database world knows yer mobile number, where you live, what your e-mail addy is and what you just bought from Tescos!!! And it's all cross referencable... Be afraid
Old 03 December 2003, 01:35 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

order over the fone!........

As I said theyve got to prove it beyond doubt to nick you for summat more serious than giving you a vehicle rectification notice, ill leave the being afraid bit to you when your out speeding
Old 03 December 2003, 01:48 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I somehow don't think they would go to the trouble of getting ip logs from hotmail, cross-referencing with ISP ip logs and then cross-referencing with ScoobyNet post's ip just for a speeding fine.

Then again, it's easier than catching burglars etc!!!

Andy
Old 03 December 2003, 05:42 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Andy, you dont need the logs! Amazon.com have it all on file if you ask nicely or bung them a few quid! Anyway as you say - its easire than catching REAL crims
Old 04 December 2003, 03:19 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the help and advice...

will start looking into the available options.

Dont think I was jammie enough to not get any NIP...

however am checking the post nervously everyday...

Van was a rental about 20 days ago...A46 was very recently...A45 been a couple of weeks...

Anybody sucessfully avoided ban using unsigned NIP?

Anybody know if its worth trying to avoid ban by not declaring who was driving and take the (lesser) rap for not disclosing...and cross my fingers that the Human Rights Act helps me out?

Still kicking myself for not investing in some licence protection in the form of a laser diffuser!

Bob
Old 04 December 2003, 05:20 PM
Scooby_simon
Scooby Regular

if you get an NIP for 30+ over the limit you could be in big Poo......however, if you do get one. get representation, and state the FACTS at court. If you need to be able to drive for work, have a young family and the other half does not drive etc....you may get a large fine and 6 points.....

I got done doing 89 in the Sandy 50 limit and got 6 points and a V nasty fine......However i am in IT support and need to drive for work, have a young family and pick the Kids up from Nursey school 2 days a week...........

let me know if you want any more info.....
Old 04 December 2003, 06:56 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Cool

Simon...just round the corner from me...sunny letch

...thanks for the advice...jus dunno which way to go now...

Guess I will wait for the NIPs to arrive and see what the damage is.
Old 04 December 2003, 07:31 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Firstly, as others have said, I'd delete the first post you made. This may be a confession under PACE.

Secondly, as it was a hired vehicle, the police have 14 days to get the NIP to the hire company but, basically, 6 months to get it to you so you have to watch your back for quite a while.

Currently there seem to be a range of successful defences and perhaps the most significant current event is that Idris Francis is taking an appeal which will determine if it is legal not to sign the NIP. If Idris wins then you will not be required to sign the form and it will not be admissable as evidence in court. However, it is unlikely that this will be heard before Feb/March.

There is also a useful PACE defence which you would need to investigate in detail with the help of a solicitor with experience of this defence. Basically Judge Owen in his judgement on the Yorke/Mawdsley case indicated that the NIP might fall under PACE. PACE is designed to protect your rights and is what dictates that police must caution you. As you are probably aware that caution says "you do not have to say anything..." and once you have been cautioned you do not have to say anything or, as I understand it, fill in the NIP. Now, PACE is much more complex than this so you would need a solicitor with the low down before following this line.

You must also be aware that, on occasions, it is possible to identify the driver from photos taken from in front. You should bear this in mind as to make an assertion that you were not driving only to be shown a clear picture of yourself could lead to other charges or a more significant penalty.

It is also worth bearing in mind that there are people successfully defending cases similar to those you describe so it is certainly not a lost cause. However, you need to appraise yourself very carefully on all aspects of the situation including the risks of mounting a defence as the current legal system tends to deal with such offences as trivial "guilty until proven innocent" matters. Losing your license may not be trivial for you.
Old 04 December 2003, 10:23 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

In answer to a couple of points not already covered. You say "55 to 65" for the first two. If your speedo was reading 55, you could well have only been doing 50, and almost certainly not fast enough for anyone to prosecute. Even if you were nabbed at an indicated 65 (perhaps a genuine 60), you might get away with it, depends on what the threshold was on that occassion. Also if you're very borderline, they might not go to the bother of tracking down a hired van driver.

Fixed speed cameras are meant to have warning signs according to some guidelines, I don't believe that applies to vans.

Another point - it is possible that one or more of the vans were road tax related things. I know I have seen a van when travelling - can't remember who was driving on that occassion, though - at 85mph in a 70 limit. After a few seconds panic by whoever was driving, we got close enough to see it was a tax disk thingy.

IMHO, the first two you're in with a decent chance of excaping, or worst case fixed penalty 3 points / £60. The only one I'd really worry about is the 95mph+. Be very careful for the next few weeks and either breathe a sigh of relief or feel rotten when the NIP arrives.

All the best!
Old 05 December 2003, 06:35 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback mate.

The plod vans were definately all for speeding as the road tax ones always have LOTS of traffic police around at the same time so they can clamp you there and then...

...I remember the first time I saw a police van with lots of traffic police waiting at junctions coming into the city...I was thinking at the time, wow somebody has pissed them off alot for something very serious...then I find out it is merely anti-road tax evasion!!!

Never-mind...somebody tried car-jacking me at gunpoint just 2 minutes from the main police station. I went straight there and reported it all shook up and scared to $hit and they told me they were too busy to follow it up even though they had good cctv and good description of the vechile they were using (they even knew which car it was as it was car-jacked at gunpoint the day before)!

I've previously had any major grievances with the police, but this just made me sick.