Omega watch

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2003, 01:59 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

really not very impressed..

I bought Seamaster Pro Chronometer (the big chunky self-winding one) three years ago. This summer I was coming back to UK and in the process of moving the time back the winding 'button' came off along with the little shaft.
As it was due a service I sent it via Watches of Switzerland back to Omega. Came back three months later (AFTER my two months diving in Caribbean) with a £300 bill, which seemed a little steep.

A few weeks later I was putting up a shelf and the pin holding the body to the strap came out, watch fell on my head (funny now but that watch is bloody heavy!) but luckily landed on the sofa.

Took it back to WOS, they changed the pin on the spot for free.

Haven't worn it so much recently, so when I picked it up last it had stopped - unscrewed the button, gently pulled it out to set the time, and the bloody thing came of again, this time without the shaft.

I'm hoping the work is still warrantied, was done in July, but just means I've got to send it away an wait again.

I'm pretty careful with my watch, doesn't get chucked around and I don't wear it all the time - but it does seem to be more fragile than you would expect from a 1600 quid 'diving' watch.

Anyone else had the same problems?
Should I ask for replacement watch?

ian
Old 01 December 2003, 02:13 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I have one and got it serviced about a year ago and it cost me £100.
That included pressure testing.

Darren
Old 01 December 2003, 02:36 PM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

My Speedmaster played up after I bought it in 2000. It had two complete replacement movements in the first 12 months, but Omega never quibbled and ever since its been working like...er..clockwork...

should also mention that mine is in daily use - always has been...

[Edited by andrew6321 - 12/1/2003 2:37:59 PM]

[Edited by andrew6321 - 12/1/2003 11:03:52 PM]
Old 01 December 2003, 09:01 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I had an Omega Seamaster GMT that would lose and hour every now and again depite constant use. I had it returned to Omega who replaced the necassary parts under warranty - this took them 8 weeks.

1 week later and I notice that the watch is losing an hour again, so sent the watch off again. They fix it, send it back, 'only' taking 6 weeks this time.

A week later, once again the watch loses an hour, so I got bored and asked for my money back which I duly used as a deposit for a SS Rolex Daytona

Wouldn't buy another Omega...
Old 01 December 2003, 10:31 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yoza?
Old 01 December 2003, 10:49 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Stick to TAGs... they seem to be indestructable, for me anyway! I normally destroy my watches through various means. I do a lot of shooting and have found the recoil can take its toll, hands falling off chronographs etc.

The TAG has had one £80 service done at the same time as the battery was replaced and it is still going strong after 7 years of daily use and abuse!
Old 01 December 2003, 11:04 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My Seamaster is great...I love it No problems at all
Old 01 December 2003, 11:14 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Wink

Amazing in'nit....they work fine on the moon, and keep perfect time with all the **** that 007 has to cope with, shelves however

Sorry to hear about the watch...I've got an Omega Constellation (quartz) although I don't wear it much now I've got the Breitling. Went to get the battery changed and the cell had burst resulting in a £180 cleaning bill, luckily no real corrosion. Had to have it done as the movement would have just corroded away
Old 01 December 2003, 11:21 PM
Luke
BANNED

I am having to get a watch serviced whilst I am away. Its a Omega Seamaster Chronometer. The Glass got scratched and I wanted it re sealed. As mentioned in another watch thread.."The Watch Doctors" In tring where reccomended. A friend sent the watch recorded delivery. They contacted me the next day with a full quote to change glass. All seals. Clean/polish bracelet and fully gas pressure test watch. It will be ready by friday!!!!!!!!

No thats what I call service. And very very cheap to what you lot have been paying.

Rumour has it most companies etc et do not send the watches back to the importers.... They get the work done by companies like The above.

Watch Doctors
Tring
tel: 01442891435
Old 03 December 2003, 09:54 PM
met
Scooby Regular

yikes, i just bought an automatic seamaster today after 9yrs of happy tag ownership, lets sea (no pun intended) what happens
Old 03 December 2003, 11:56 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

My Tag has had the clicky thing go on the bezel 3 times...and I only wear it occasionally. Omega is worn every day as it's my fave watch with no problems. I still like the Tag tho...

I guess my point is in general you are only going to the people who've had problems complain...if the thread had been about Tag's maybe I'd have posted me too!

On the subject of watches see my new thread

B

Old 04 December 2003, 03:48 PM
yoza
BANNED

This post is a bit embarrasing, as I sold the GMT to Andy172 in good faith. I wore it only a few times and it was fine. I bought it brand new, and had it for only a few months. Just goes to show, you pay alot of cash for quality, and they can still mess up.

Ive had problems with a SeaMaster professional(auto) and SpeedMaster(mechwind) excessively losing and gaining time, and also I had problems with a clasp on a GMT. I have now decided never to buy Omega again.

Ive never had problems with Breitling, Rolex, Tag Heure, Chase Durer, or the watches I have at the cheaper end of the scale ie. Citizen, Seiko, Accurist, Casio, Swatch etc.

In fact I have a number of (swiss)replica watches, that have been worn hard, and yet they have given me better service than the two Omega's mentioned.

If I remember rightly, you send the watches back under guarantee through the retailer you bough them from. And wait for upto 2-3 months for it to come back! No sorry, no compensation, or loan watch, nothing. Pi55 poor really.

As for what watch to buy for £50-£100....I would go for a Russian automatic chrono, cheap, reliable, different, and rugged.

Type in RUSSIAN WATCH on E-Bay search worldwide and be amazed. Dont go for private one off sales, buy from the dealers, steer clear of anything sub £35.

Later Yoza

Some of the Pilots/Divers watches are cheap but very high spec. See my suggestions on the 'cheap watch suggestion' thread.

[Edited by yoza - 12/4/2003 5:15:32 PM]
Old 04 December 2003, 04:15 PM
Luke
BANNED

Watch servicing is a huge rip off. To have a quote within 24 hours and to be told the watch will be ready within 3 days is the service i want. "Watch Doctors" in Tring seem to be good for this.

When I am in the Uk...i sometimes have a little meet with some watch people on a sunday morning.. Bloody hell the stories about Rolexes and the quality of servicing etc..I wouldnt want one. I fancy a IWC but these cost a bomb to look after..

Back to work.