Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

OK... the new mobile phone law is live....

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2003, 11:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Pugo, I am repeatedly having to avoid cars being driven by people on the phone who are not capable of doing both. of course some people are quite capable of doing that but you have to legislate for those who are a danger to others.

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 12/1/2003 11:56:09 AM]
Old 12 January 2003, 01:08 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

What are police pursuit drivers going to do then? I've seen some on the tv (W Yorks force AFAIK) who picks up his phone and is talking whilst driving?

I would expect someone like that to have adequate skills to drive and talk on the phone. Surely there must be a good % of drivers who can also do the same.

I would be more in favour of the police targetting drivers for driving without due care etc and levying a fine of £1k a time for that offence. That could then apply to mars bar eaters, smokers, drinking from cans/bottles of coke, trying to eat a packet of crisps (I'm sure most of us have tried that one!)

[Edited by Scooby96 - 12/1/2003 1:11:07 PM]
Old 12 February 2003, 01:02 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Talking

You can see the appeals already "Well your honour I never heard about it on the TV/radio/in the paper/down the pub.

Would we need nannies if we could all be trusted to do the right thing?

It doesn't work.

Why do we need a law to stop us shooting/stabbing & maiming each other?We all know it's wrong,we all you shouldn't do it.But lots of people still do do it.

Why do we need a law to curb our drinking & driving?Anyone with a gnats brain knows its not a good idea to sink a few & then jump behind the wheel.

We need nursemaiding because of the minority that cannot or will not help themselves.What is the alternative?Just get rid of all laws & let it be a free-for-all.

[Edited by FLAT ERIC - 12/2/2003 1:06:10 AM]
Old 01 December 2003, 08:46 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

...how many of you are complying?

On an informative note, West Yorkshire Police have decided to comply with the National ACPO Roads Policing Guidelines and have introduced a temporary policy (or recommendation) for a period of eight weeks where the officer should consider that the driver should be advised or "educated" rather than prosecuted. So it's not a dead-cert you'll get done (for the time being anyway).

I just thought you'd like to know.
Old 01 December 2003, 08:48 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

About time too. Why they had to wait this long to bring in the law i have no idea.
Old 01 December 2003, 09:17 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

BuRR, think you will find that the eight weeks grace covers all UK.
But as it's been in the news for the last 2 / 3 weeks, anyone caught should be fined (IMO anyway)
Old 01 December 2003, 09:20 AM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

Angry

Dazza01, This grace period only covers England and Wales !!!
Up here in Scotland We get done from today
Possible Descrimination ?

Big Daz
Old 01 December 2003, 09:28 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

OK, i stand corrected, but like i said been on the news for weeks now and u should be done from today,

Dazza
(waiting to hear who's the first to get done for this offence,cos i got a nokia car kit fitted in both my cars so it ain't gonna be me)
Old 01 December 2003, 09:31 AM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

Agreed.
Watched a muppet almost pile into a row of stationary traffic last week 'cos he was on the phone, Just think the same rules should apply throughout.

Big Daz
Old 01 December 2003, 09:31 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

what really annoys me is people who have very expensive cars but are to mean to pay for a proper hands free kit? why? also it is about time that manufactors fitted them as standard with Blue tooth so that they are universal for most of the new phones.
Old 01 December 2003, 09:41 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Big Daz, with u on that m8
Old 01 December 2003, 09:50 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I hope the police enforce it with the same dedication! as seatbelts
Using a phone is potentially much more dangerous than not wearing a seatbelt
Old 01 December 2003, 10:09 AM
Carter
Scooby Regular

What about smoking, driving with children or using a two-way radio?

I just don't understand why there has to be a specific ban for this one thing. How about a statutory fine for women driving whilst up on blocks?
Old 01 December 2003, 10:12 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Dazza - I know its National.... its the ACPO recommendation. I was just saying that West Yorkshire are adopting the policy - saw the order this morning on our works' intranet. np mate
Old 01 December 2003, 11:04 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

So driving in my skyline on the phone is more dangerous than the lass I spotted on the M6 on Sat in a car that looked ready for the scrappy screaming at her five kids whilst smoking a ***?
Old 01 December 2003, 11:48 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I dont understand why people seem to have a problem with this

I drive around 20,000 miles a year i see all sorts of crap driving but i have seen more near misses caused by mobile phones than ****/eating mars bars talking to passengers etc.

What you must remember is that some drivers cannot talk on the phone and drive at the same time but they try

some cant even reverse in a straight line

Old 01 December 2003, 12:03 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

bravo i dont agree i see people driving badly while using their phone everyday i see the occasional person who can handle it but not many

the worst ones are the women in their bmw/mercedes if they can afford a fancy car why cant they afford a car kit?

i use my car kit all the time i feel more in control as i have two hands to change gear indicate etc holding a phone is just plain stupid
Old 01 December 2003, 12:06 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

how would you react if someone on their phone ploughed into you would you still feel the same way ?
Old 01 December 2003, 12:06 PM
Hammy Hamster
Scooby Regular

Just thought it was worth pointing out, that although drivers in England and Wales are not being prosecuted for the specific offence of holding a mobile phone whilst in-charge of a vehicle, you may still be prosecuted for driving without due care, if you are not deemed to be in control of the vehicle.

I'd say a good 50% of the drivers I encounter using a handheld mobile phone, should be charged with an offence related to their driving anyway. The other 50% only have one hand on the wheel, so I wouldn't trust their avoidance technique, in an emergency situation.

IMHO
Old 01 December 2003, 12:13 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

if you were hands free they would have no reason to pull you
Old 01 December 2003, 12:18 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The problem is it's one rule for everybody which is being applied to everything we encounter more and more.

There is clearly a difference in peoples abilities to do certain things but everybody is being thrown into the "fairly dim" or "brain dead" category which totally goes against the grain of those who without doubt have the ability to use their own discretion.

I know there are also a lot of people who think they are good in certain areas and quite frankly are as dangerous as the "dims", that is why the restrictions are being introduced daily.

But all this doesn't help those that really feel "caged" by what they see as pathetic mind numbing steps backwards in personal expression.

Old 01 December 2003, 01:02 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

fine you win LOL
Old 01 December 2003, 01:10 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

they will do what they allways do

2 rules did you not know that
Old 01 December 2003, 01:11 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

The new regulations are simple and unambiguous - it will be a criminal offence to use a handheld mobile phone at any time while driving. The regulations do not prohibit, or allow, any specific type of equipment, phone or connector but simply make it an offence to hold a phone when driving and cover all activities associated with making or receiving a call, including dialling.

The new regulations do not affect the present law, which imposes an absolute obligation on drivers to have full control of the vehicle and to drive with due care and attention at all times.

While the use of a hands-free phone will not be an offence, drivers will face criminal prosecution and penalties ranging from a simple fine to disqualification and even imprisonment if any aspect of the call adversely affects their driving, and especially if it leads to a crash.

Anyone caught using a phone handset after December 1 may be convicted for one or a number of offences covered by the following statutes:

The Road Vehicles [Construction and Use] [Ammendment] [No 4] 2003 creates the offence of using a hand held phone whilst driving.
The offence of 'Driving whilst not in a position as to have proper control of a vehicle' is dealt with by Regulation 104, Road Vehicles Construction and Use Regulations 1986, Reg 104.
Driving without due care and attention, or reasonable consideration for other road users, is dealt with by Section 3, Road Traffic 1988.
Dangerous Driving is dealt with by Section 2, Road Traffic Act 1988.
Kevin Delaney, Traffic and Road Safety Manager for the RAC Foundation, said the new regulations leave no grey area when it comes to using mobile phones while driving.

"The new regulations introduce a welcome note of clarity and send a clear message to drivers and their employers about the hazards associated with the use of handheld mobile phones.

"The time has come to put speculation and rumour behind us and take a realistic approach to minimising actions which can and do reduce concentration and car control.

"As well as using only hands-free phones, drivers and employers should adopt a more responsible attitude to using phones at all. Keep your hands on the wheel, your eyes on the road and your mind on driving."

Copied this........
Old 01 December 2003, 01:14 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

well copied
Old 01 December 2003, 02:18 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

West Yorkshire traffic cars have handsfree radios.

Quick Reply: OK... the new mobile phone law is live....