Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

health and safety, work lighting.

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2003, 04:27 PM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,
we have a minor problem as in some people turn the office lights off and prefer to be in the dark to look at thier terminals, whereas others complain and prefer the ligths on.

is there any health and safety guidelines for a minimumm level of light within the workplace (office based, everyone at laptops/pcs), but also i would see being hazerdous as you cannot see the floor properly..

cheers
Old 27 November 2003, 04:52 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Lots of info available. Do a search for "Display Screen Equipment Regulations". Adequate lighting must be provided, and it must be non-reflective and produce little or no glare. Each user must have separate document illumination (desklamp etc). Footrests should be supplied, but not wrist supports, the wrists can be catered for by the desk and chair (which must be fully adjustable with the right number of feet) being height and angle adjustable. Best bit is, you should have a 10 min break every hour, or 20 every 2.
Look here, here, here and here
These were just the 1st 4 my search brought up. If your employer won't listen, get as many people as possible to request eye checks (they must pay), take some time off with eye strain induced migraine and suggest that your wrist is beginning to hurt and you've heard claims direct can pin it down to RSI through using a mouse.

[Edited by corradoboy - 11/27/2003 4:53:22 PM]
Old 27 November 2003, 05:02 PM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply, my search didnt come up with quite as much.
My employer will listen that isnt the issue, however it is to stop petty squabbling from the office staff about having the lights on/off.

Cheers
Old 27 November 2003, 07:09 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i would suggest that in order to solve the problem you ask your employer to get some localised lighting - i.e. people get anglepoise type lights that they can use to illuminate their own area. the poeple who want it dark need to consider what they are doing - maybe their eyesight is poor and they need max. contrast. whatever the case - it isn't advisable to work with a vdu in a dark environment.