Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speeding advice please

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2003, 09:37 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morning People, Last night I was stopped for speeding by 2 coppers and a laser gun firstly Id like to say if I was caught at the registered speed then I actually feel dissapointed inmyself as there was no need for it the speed was 44 in a 30 whcih I am far from proud off it thats true... ALTHOUGH as the story goes, I left a 40 Zone off a roundabout and from what I remember I slowed down as I went through a coulple of corners. so if anything from 40 I would say Id backed off to at least 35. then I saw a white van parked on the side of the road, again Id let off the accelerator expecting to come to a standstil to overtake it. as I approached I saw 2 coppers walking towards me in the middle of the road. so obviously knew what they was doing, to be fair the cop was very friendly and I asked for the calibration cert. all he could show me was a sticker on the side saying June 2003 and said it had testing tongues in the van (which had pulled off by the time I stopped) that he could get for me. anyways I took the fixed penalty and whilst filling it out he passed the gun to the other copper. as I was chatting to him the other copper stopped a car for doing 42. almost the same speed, next thing I know he'd given him a chat and let him drive off, the copper talking to me shouted at his mate and asked why he'd let him off. I was by now saying its not fair blah blah. then the copper said to me, aparently the other cop aint certified to use the gun so it could have been contested in court ???? sounded like a blag line to shut me up.

As I said, theres 2 factors here, the other car getting away with roughtly the same speed and the calibration. I thought it was every 2 weeks they needed to be done but its been suggested that only cars need to be done every 2 weeks and not the laser gun.

hands up I was probably boarder line when I was stopped for speeding but I honestly didnt think I was doing 44, if so then I hang my head in shame and take it on the chin

any advice would be greatly received

Cheers
Old 20 November 2003, 10:04 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I can understand how you feel about that. maybe a letter to the Chief Constable asking why the "non qualified" copper was using the gun and also why he even stopped the other car if he was not able to use the gun properly might produce some kind of a result. Tell him you feel victimised because the other man was let off.

Les
Old 20 November 2003, 10:10 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Thats an interesting option. although a letter to the chief constable will take a little while no? considering I have a time limit on the fixed penalty to be waved. I dont want to psuh my luck end up in court and still end up with points and a £200 fine or something

Do u think a letter to the chief constable will be replied to within a reasonable amount of time?
Old 20 November 2003, 02:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes I would say so, with a copy to the boss traffic copper where the penalty was issued. Sort of thing they might well worry about for adverse publicity. Make sure they understand the need for dealing with it quickly. They may not want that brought up in Court.

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 11/20/2003 2:34:41 PM]
Old 20 November 2003, 05:47 PM
Missile Man
Scooby Regular

Could be wrong here but I think you'll find that, once a fixed penalty ticket has been issued, it is only a court that can overturn it. If a Chief Constable or anyone else had the power to waive it, then they are effectively deciding on whether or not you are guilty of breaking the law, which is the job of the courts.

And if you contest it in court it's going to be your word against two police officers.

As I say, I could be wrong, but that was the situation as explained to me a while ago by a Chief Superintendent when I raised a complaint in similar circumstances.

I would firstly seek professional legal advice if I wanted to challenge a speeding ticket.
Old 20 November 2003, 06:00 PM
Missile Man
Scooby Regular

PS. know how you feel about other people getting away with it when you've got done.

I was prosecuted for 47mph in a 40 limit last year, the only reason they caught me and not the guy in front was because I had slowed down more as we entered the 40 zone, thus opening up a gap and leaving them able to target my car with the laser gun, when they couldn't clearly see his because he was tailgating. I know this because I actually went to the police HQ to see the video.

Unfortunately the fact that someone else got away with more dangerous driving than me, didn't make me innocent of speeding...

[Edited by Missile Man - 11/20/2003 6:02:03 PM]