Impressed with the Met...

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2003, 10:11 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

... or part of it anyway.

For reasons I don't intend to go into here, I have recently had to deal with our local collision investigation unit as well as handling someone who had received the "I've got some bad news for you" Police visit.

The traffic coppers who we met at the hospital were both utterly professional and human with it. The CIU have been completely helpful and have answered all our questions with sensitivity and tact. It's obviously not easy but they have made the whole thing far easier to handle.

Must be a crappy part of the job and no doubt something they forget to put on the recruiting posters. I remember doing it myself when landing at the local hospital from a search and rescue flight that too often became a search and recover job instead. I wish I could have done it as well as those guys did.

SB
Old 19 November 2003, 10:24 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of a friend used to work for the Met as a Berievement (sp?)Counseller, running workshops teaching the police how to manage 'I'm sorry to tell you...' situations.

Coincidently he was once sitting next to a chap on a plane going to America on holiday and was explaining what he does, turns out the guy he was talking to was a high ranking LA Cop who was very interested in this sort of thing.

The Americans cops had no training on this at all. After a few phones call from the LA cop, the guy has now sold up, moved to America and is making a large fortune consulting to Police Forces all over America teching how to approach these very delicate subjects.

So for all the slating the Met get, they do do some things right.