Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Raised on Top Gear; DVLA registrations....

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2003, 11:31 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I thought the point Clarkson discussed on TG last night was a good 'un; DVLA are selling registrations for some ridiculous amounts of money, many of which can only be read if the spacing or font is altered.

For example; B347LES would read 'Beatles' (£22k!!!!!) etc. etc. etc.

However, if you were to adjust the spacing, font etc., you could quite likely end up in trouble with the Police for making your plate unreadable, or whatever crime it is. Get caught three times, and you lose the plate with no refund.

How is it that an official Govt agency can sell you something (for massive profit !) that will only mean anything if you illegally 'adjust' it, but that you can then be nicked and fined for ???

Its like putting a massive tax on ****, then produce adverts to discourage the practice of actually smoking them, and then give smokers a hard time when they go to hospital to utilise the NHS which they have effectively paid for ?

Discuss.

I'll get me [flameproof] coat ready.

T
Old 17 November 2003, 11:35 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Quite!

One rule for them and another for the tax payers.

shoddy and ill concieved and excectued, sounds like a New Labour idea!
Old 17 November 2003, 11:38 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The answer is simple. Don't buy the plate! If you have to 'adjust' it then don't buy it.

The DVLA are just selling a plate, it's market forces (i.e. US) that determine whether it's worth £100 or £100,000.

It's also a chance to 'make some easy money' and any government agency will always try to make some cash by fair means or by foul.
Old 17 November 2003, 01:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

This is a bit like Sony too: they spend huge amounts of cash in r&d for devices able to record perfectly, then want the law changed when people buy THEIR devices to record music they also sell[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It's called "having your cake and eating it", and loads of large companies, and ALL governments do it[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Alcazar
Old 17 November 2003, 01:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Even I was surprised when I saw that. Comes to something when a government is openly conning the public in such a way. Wonder what answer they will give to that accusation, if any!

Les
Old 17 November 2003, 01:58 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

They do actually tell you BEFORE you buy that its illegal to alter the plate.

DOUBLE STANDARDS I THINK ITS CALLED !!

The Terms and Conditions of Sale will be read to you by one of our sales agents when you have decided to purchase a DVLA Select Registration.

"You are about to enter into a legally binding contract with the Secretary of State for Transport. Please stop me at any time if anything is unclear.

You have an initial period of 12 months to assign your registration at a DVLA Local Office, but the entitlement period can be extended shortly before expiry upon application and payment of a fee.

Your registration can only be assigned to a vehicle, registered, or about to be registered in mainland Britain. At the time of assignment the vehicle must be licensed, of a testable type and have a test certificate in force, if applicable.
Please note you cannot make the vehicle appear younger than it actually is, and it is an offence to mis-represent the registration number.

If the vehicle to which this registration is to be assigned is not registered in your name you should let me have the name of the registered keeper so that I can include them as your nominee. After the contract is formed a nominee may only be added or changed upon application and payment of a fee.

Finally, if you have any doubt whatsoever concerning your choice of registration then please say so now before the contract is confirmed as you will not be able to cancel or exchange your purchase.

Do you understand and accept the Terms and Conditions of Sale"

I now confirm your contract with the Secretary of State for Transport.

[Edited by Dazza01 - 11/17/2003 2:00:43 PM]
Old 17 November 2003, 02:00 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Get caught three times, and you lose the plate with no refund.
I can assure you that is not the case......

Ive been warned/fined/stopped many many many more than 3 times over the last 7 years.......im not alone in that either...

Its an idle threat and never actually happened to anyone as far as im aware

Trending Topics

Old 17 November 2003, 02:09 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I agree with Tony. Its taking the Pi$$. If they dont want people to mis-represent number plates then dont encourage the same people to buy them, knowing that they only look and are worth the money when mis-represented.

I mean, you would really have to **** around with B347LES to make it look anything like BEATLES. Then first time on the road, you'd get nicked.
Old 17 November 2003, 02:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Thumbs down

It's an issue that's alway irritated me, I mean even before the DVLA started their plate sales.

It always irritated me when I looked in the back of the papers/autotrader to find companies advertising plates spelling words, but physically (and legally) have very little resemblance to the actual word it's trying to represent. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] False advertising IMO [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Now for the past few years the DVLA have started doing it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] And blatantly advertising it!

It's a bit of a sore point with me, as my old man is a number plate obbsessive, so I hear no end of it. And he got fined for having his plate wrongly spaced (and it didn't even spell anything ) so I get this rant almost every week when a car with illegal plates drives past :rolleye:

If I'm the car I normally turn up the radio....he sometimes gets the hint
Old 17 November 2003, 02:55 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Strikes me that if you subsequently got done, you would be in a strong position to sue DVLA who told you it was OK to do it in the first place.

UB
Old 17 November 2003, 03:03 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

The DVLA are just selling a plate, it's market forces (i.e. US) that determine whether it's worth £100 or £100,000
When the DVLA sell direct I disagree - they're setting the value. other wise theyd sell all plates at he standard £299 or £499 prices

Dean
Old 17 November 2003, 03:04 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

...but surely if no one bought them, the prices would drop ?
Old 17 November 2003, 03:35 PM
yoza
BANNED

Freak,

If the DVLA recieve three photos of your none conformist plate they have the power to reclaim it from you, then they re-issue you with a standard plate.

When a copper pulls you for the plate, if He/She is doing his job to the (jobsworth) letter of the law. He/She will fill in a ticket, give you a £30 fine and take a photo of the plate. The photo gets sent off to the DVLA along with your details. They store it and cross referance it with any other photo/tickets taken.

Three times and your out.

So far as I know it hasnt happened to anyone as yet.

Later Yoza
Old 17 November 2003, 04:06 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

yoza- i know that they can do it...

God knows ive been told it so many times...also photographed before

I Was just making the point that its threatened a lot- but never actually happened to anyone.....
Old 17 November 2003, 04:37 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had mine taken from me.

Well the police took the plates with them, the DVLC didn't though, nor did I get a fine.
Old 17 November 2003, 05:27 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

posted by alcazar
It's called "having your cake and eating it"
Having your cake and eating it is an easy thing to do.
It should actually be "You can`t eat your cake and have it"

But I`m a pedantic git
Old 17 November 2003, 05:55 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've always thought that was a particularly pointless statement. Why on earth would you have the ******* cake in the first place, if it wasn't to eat it
Old 17 November 2003, 06:27 PM
Dremel
Scooby Regular

A little bit of info.........

The DVLA don't actually directly sell the plates, it's done through a third party - Premier Motorauctions Leeds Ltd -
They organise the auctions & website, you pay your money to them and not directly to the DVLA.
Maybe it's Premier who is sending out the press releases, obviously they must be on commission for each plate that is sold.

Jon.
Old 17 November 2003, 06:31 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
quote: "Its like putting a massive tax on ****"

it's exactly like that ie an idiot tax, along with the lottery etc. The best thing about the number plates is that firstly you can identify who is an idiot at a glance and secondly it's totally voluntary.
If people are stupid enough to buy a private plate then I'd like them to pay as much as possible to DVLA for them. Then the police can extract further idiot tax when they space them illegally. Sounds great to me, pay for your stupidity.
Old 18 November 2003, 12:02 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

NACRO always down to earth
Old 18 November 2003, 12:10 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

CO3 NER

How much for that one?