Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rock Tribute bands - your' opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2003, 06:19 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening all, I am currently a drummer with a Bryan Adams tribute band called RECKLESS and have been for approximately 7 years, unfortunately we play our last gig on 19th December due to reasons beyond my control.

I am going to start a new band up, a tribute band, and was wondering what people thought of a DEF LEPPARD tribute idea? There are currently no other DEF LEP tributes playing the UK circuit, and the circuit is both vast and fairly lucrative if managed correctly.

What do you guys and girls think? Even if the music is not to your taste I'd like your comments please.

Many thanx in advance.

SKOOSH

p.s: If I had my way I'd start a SLAYER tribute band but I'd prefer to play more than a few gigs per year.
Old 16 November 2003, 06:25 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been to see the Australian Doors twice and both times I got pissed and it was just like going back to 1967, Jim Morrison and co may as well have been in the room. Superb.
Old 16 November 2003, 07:53 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Will you be chopping your arm off for this?

UB
Old 16 November 2003, 09:26 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Going to see the Australian Pink Floyd tomorrow. I'll let you know.

chip.

[Edited by Chip - 11/16/2003 9:37:11 PM]
Old 16 November 2003, 09:34 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I went to see "Hells Bells" who are a tribute band to "ACDC" though they were very good and would be more than happy to see them again.
Old 17 November 2003, 07:48 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The Bootleg Beatles, saw them a year or so ago, bloody brilliant, if you closed your eyes it was like the real thing, well it was the closeest I'll ever get to see The Beatles.
Cheers
Colin
Old 17 November 2003, 09:02 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

As UB mentioned in order to get Def Leppard's sound you will have to invest in an electronic drum kit. Unless of course you plan to do songs from pre-Hysteria.

The drum sound is so differenent and unique, you may find unless you can re-create it, you'll sound like a covers band.

Trending Topics

Old 17 November 2003, 09:11 AM
SteveLegacy
Scooby Regular

Hateful, all of them. Nothing but Karaoke with instuments.

Put your efforts and talent into doing something original.

Old 17 November 2003, 09:19 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

I've seen the B-eagles and Talon and both band's were great the B-eagles were a little more polished but they both did the music proud
Old 17 November 2003, 09:55 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good tribute bands are good, bad ones are bad

The trick is getting a good name for the band. The best tribute band name ever, without exception, is the Bon Jovi tribute ....

By Jovi
Old 17 November 2003, 10:09 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Go for it. Def Leppard have produced enough material to make a decent set from. Probably be advisable to include songs from Hysteria as that album put them into the limelight, but avoid the songs with sound effects like Excitable etc.

I've seen numerous cover bands, and the likes of Dizzy Lizzy, Fred Zeppelin and The Hamsters (they do their own material too though) are really excellent, and draw in large crowds, night after night.

Good luck.
Old 17 November 2003, 12:39 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Nothing wrong with a good tribute band, if done well. Especially so if the original band don't tour anymore. I know of a great Clash tribute band called Rebel Truce who I've seen play a few times, they're superb !

A Def Lep band would probs be a good idea since the 80s hair-bands seem to be coming back into fashion (the spandex-clad Darkness spring to mind). The drum sounds shouldn't be too difficult to replicate with today's technology - a set of v-drums would probably do it. Go for it !

Old 17 November 2003, 08:12 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Thanx for the comments guys, all taken on board and I'll defo be buying a decent set of drum triggers for that big sound. One point worth mentioning is that the last 4 Bryan Adams albums were mixed by the same producer as Def Leppard, drums and vocals all sound exactly the same.

Stevelegacy, you're obviously not musical mate and you're entitled to an opinion of course, but have you any idea how long it takes to get a 2-hour set together and make sure they don't sound like covers? Although I appreciate the comments about talent and energy the circuit for original music is so small plus I'm not a song-writer. Reckless' gigs take 3 hours to set up, consist of ONE 2.5 hour set and involve about £30K worth of equipment, it's a serious
business.

7 years with this band, played to well over 60000 people, raised thousands for charity and enjoyed every minute. The songs themselves don't matter, it's how they are delivered by the band that is most important, make sure that the people that pay to see you get their monies worth. Could you go and see Bryan Adams for 4 or 5 quid, I doubt it mate.

Def Leppard tribute it is then, see you all on the road in late 2004 even with 2 arms!!!!

Thanx all.

Skoosh.

[Edited by skoosh - 11/17/2003 8:18:07 PM]