Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

anti flash plates ???

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2003, 09:30 AM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again at the scottish motorshow yeterday came across this often talked about trade stand, selling anti -flash plates with a free demonstration for the asking !! anyway chap hands me two identical looking plates, one having been made up with the anti-flash material, takes a photo using a normal digital camera and guess what ??........

it works !!! the anti-flash plate could in no way be identified !! where as the other standard plate was pefectable readble.
now okay only possibly proves a few things ??

1/ that normal plates are not always over exposed when subjected to flash photography.

2/ that yes it works, but work with the gatso camera flash with its fancy filters etc ??

the old story also goes that all the police have to do is invert ( ?? ) the photo for the plate to become perfectable readble ??!!

this particulary company as far as I know were not claiming that this police method off ( inversion )did not work, but have seen similar plates sold on the net, etc ( ca-automotive, ) for one, all claiming that even with this inversion, etc process these plate cannot be identified ??

someone in the know, please tell us more ??? more for general interest understanding than anything else- honest !!!

by the way, show was a good day out !! and okay not as big as the ones south off the border !! but oh the dollys were all there !!which is worth the entrance fee alone !!!!!

cheers,
john..
Old 14 November 2003, 09:47 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Why don't you buy some, then drive past all the Gatso's in the area as fast as you can. If you end up with an array of fixed penalty tickets - they don't work!

TONY
Old 14 November 2003, 11:36 AM
jono400
Scooby Regular

"no they do not work, trust me " thats why I did not buy them ! merly stating that the demo off them was enough to convince me they worked for normal digital camera flash !! thats all !! and as also stated above not sure if the modern tech within gatsos themselves can identify the over-expossed plate ??!!

but that is a strong statement " they do not work, trust me " had a little black and white photo thru the post perhaps ??!! or maybe you know that little bit more than the rest off us !!!!! let out the secret please ??!!

cheers guys,
john...
Old 14 November 2003, 11:50 AM
Pislewis
Scooby Newbie

l

[Edited by Pislewis - 11/14/2003 11:50:26 AM]
Old 14 November 2003, 12:07 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Being the lazy sod that I am I might buy a set, even if they only work with digital camera's.

It'll save me having to photoshop reg plates out before posting then in members gallery.
Old 14 November 2003, 12:40 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

GOLDFINGER.

STARRED: Sean Connery as Bond, Gert Frobe as Goldfinger, Harold Sakata as Odd Job and Honor Blackman as ***** Galore
This film had 5 times the budget of the original Bond Movie and at the time the most expensive set built by Pinewood studios. This involved a Full scale model of Fort Knox. This film also introduced the most famous Bond vehicle the Aston Martin DB5 complete with modifications. The revolving number plate was a genuine working feature and offered 3 number plates, this was an idea by director Guy Hamilton after he became frustrated at a parking ticket he had received at the time of preproduction.
This 3rd instalment in the Bond series finds Bond Tackling Auric Goldfinger the world's top gold smuggler. Bond discovers a sinister plot known as Operation Grand Slam. The film climaxes with Bond defeating Odd Job and his killer Bowler hat and deactivating an Atomic Bomb with the timer ending up at 007.
Old 14 November 2003, 02:17 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Have a look at this weeks Autocar. They got pulled for a set on an M5
Old 14 November 2003, 02:22 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Will do !!! will read with interest as these plates that were being sold at the motorshow were inin my eyes no way any differentin looks to other non flash proof plates.

Is this particualar issue off " autocar " still on sale ?? or is there a new one out ??

thanks for your reply anyway mate, appreciatted,

john..
Old 14 November 2003, 03:25 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Invert the colours and your plate will be a clear as day!
Old 14 November 2003, 05:48 PM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Yep I saw the Autocar add.

Still for sale

Might be able to scan it. Basically if you look at the plate from an angle you cannot see it.
Old 14 November 2003, 05:58 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Yes a small e-mailed remonder off this particular article would be great if you could be bothered ?? !! if not, then no problem !! what page is it on within the mag ?? as had a quck look in the newsagents today, but could not see the relevant article, mag was dated the 11 th nov, correct one ??

cheers,
john...

thanks,
john...
Old 15 November 2003, 07:05 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Anyone do me this small favour ?? wouldnt mind seeing this particular article !!

cheers,
john...
Old 17 November 2003, 12:23 AM
jono400
Scooby Regular

BTTT !! what is the cover date of this particular issue ?? as the issue I looked at today cover dated 11th nov, never had anything relating to anythink like this !! or did I poss miss it ?? anyone ???

cheers,
john.....
Old 17 November 2003, 12:41 AM
jono400
Scooby Regular

RE. " invert the colours on the plate " incidentaly on this flash plate maker companies colour phamplet supplied at these car / bike shows there is included a picture off this anti-flash plate with the negative image shown with same succusful result !! is this what you are meaning with the term invert the colours ??

interestingly the site of "ca-automotive" advertise these anti-flash plates as being unable to be succusfully flash photographed and the plate will still be unread even under picture enhancment software procedures !! but at £110 a set !!!! will let someone else find out the truth about these ones !!!!

At the end off the day, there are a lot off folks who clearly do say that these plates do not work- full stop !!! but as I have personnaly seen them succusfully demonstrated using a digital camera flash, and having now read off some adverts claiming this total unreadblty off them, even after photo enhancment software has been used, ( ca-automotive ) am beginning to wonder if there are such a thing as total stealth plates ??!! the technolgy must be possible ?? is it not ??!!!!

the debate goes on !!! ...............

cheers,
john
Old 17 November 2003, 12:42 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Read the extract below and make your own mind up as to if you think they are legal or not, I know what I think!

As posted by a serving police officer on 5ive-o:-

Further requirements for registration plates
11. - (1) No reflex-reflecting material may be applied to any part of a registration plate and the plate must not be treated in such a way that the characters of the registration mark become, or are caused to act as, retroreflective characters.

(2) A registration plate must not be treated in any other way which renders the characters of the registration mark less easily distinguishable to the eye or which would prevent or impair the making of a true photographic image of the plate through the medium of camera and film or any other device.

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001
Old 17 November 2003, 01:04 AM
jono400
Scooby Regular

" Legal or not " ?? think it was always clear that they were always going to be illegal,no doubt there !! but thanks for the clarification anyway, dont think there are any loopholes within these regs ??!!

cheers,
john...
Old 18 November 2003, 07:18 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Anyone scan or sell me this particualr issue off autocar ?? just really interested in the plate related story- m5 car stopped for dodgy plate, one !! anyone do the honours for me ???

cheers,
john.....
Old 18 November 2003, 10:08 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Do these plates work?

Well, according to my trusty digital camera with flashgun...

...no

SB
Old 19 November 2003, 06:53 AM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Wonder who the supplier / maker off these particular plates are mate ?? take it the one with the words "photo shy" is supposed to appear as just a blank plate, ie no writting at all ?? as normally these plates are made up with just the normal reg numbers / letters and when photographed appear blank.

but will say it again !! have recently wittnesed these so called anti flash plates being tested with flash photography and can assure you that the plate lettering could not be read with this type off flash photography, gatso camera flash - pass dont know ?? also see the other thread within the main scooby forum about the chap with the black scooby with the fancy rallye graphics on it, as he has his car pictured adorned with these type off plates, with no readable reg plate visable on his photos !!!

the saga goes on !!! again wonder who made / supplied these particular plates shown ??

cheers,
john...
Old 19 November 2003, 09:09 AM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Autocar article
Online at their new site

September 17, 2003
Is that your car sir?
Category: The Police
Oh the indignity. Got pulled by her majesty’s constabulary this morning driving the long term test M5. Not for tearing up the outside lane of the M40 as you might expect (not that I can claim innocence on that one either). No, for the addenda that an unnamed staffer has added to the rear number plate. To whit a see through cover that promises to fox speed cameras, rendering it unreadable should you be unlucky enough to be caught doing photogenic speeds.
I know what you’re thinking. Plain stupidity, of course that’s illegal. But we were led to believe that it was a law friendly extra for the Beemer. Use one though and you could get done for conspiring to pervert the course of justice – an imprisonable act if the judge really flexes his long arm. And rather than take the heat for an offence of that severity – we’re taking the rozzer’s advice to whip it off within 14 days and get an MOT station to give it the all-clear.

[Edited by Regacy - 11/19/2003 9:10:24 AM]
Old 19 November 2003, 09:35 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Yes, the photo shy plate was supposed to be totally unreadable. The 'sample' picture they had on the stand was just a mass of brightness and was totally overexposed.

So I tried bracketing the exposure as well. This one is the most obscured until I overexposed a ridiculous anount. The other three I took in the same burst are clearer than this one.

OK, so my camera is reasonably sophisticated but I somehow doubt that the ones in a Gatso are just Box Brownies...

It won't have a BS plate and the reflective letters will show very clearly ina car headlights. That means that the Old Bill will be able to spot them from a following car and have due cause for pulling you over.

Getting done for conspiracy to pervert the cause of justice as well as all the other hassle that a not so friendly tug normally leads to, just for the knowledge that you have anti-flash plates that look as though they don't work anyway seems like a dubious approach.

I think I'll just stick to not speeding past cameras...

SB
Old 19 November 2003, 11:36 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had an argument with a guy selling "Backflash" plates at last years Motorcycle show for a rediculous ammount of money. He was demonstrating it by taking a digital photo of two identical plates and showing the result to his audience. I took a photo with my camera and he immedietely pounced on me with all sorts of excuses before I'd even had the chance to look at my picture. As it turned out, the backflash plate was clearer and brighter than the normal plate. It was quite obvious his camera was set to manual (over)exposure.
There was a guy just about to shell out his hard earned (£150) cash until he saw my picture. He reckoned I saved him a packet so he offered to buy me a pint.....nice chap!
Old 19 November 2003, 02:45 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Probably the same guy who was trying to sell the backflash at this years scottish motor show !!! it was always mentioned within the motoring press that this particular device was off a total waste off money !! remember reading within one test off it that the side mounted flashers actualy started flashing when it was driven into direct sunlight !! cant believe anyone could still try to still sell this item !! but there is always someone, somwhere, who has possibly missed a review or bad presscoverage off something and will sadly part with there cash !!! the very reason I for one will always try to do a little research before buying !!

cheers,
john...
Old 19 November 2003, 02:50 PM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Thanks to the kind person !! who took the time to put up the " autocar " story for me, it was appreciatted,
cheers,
john....