Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Need lights for band gig... advice/help please

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2003, 08:22 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My lad is in a funk rock Red Hot Chilli inspired band. Not been going long but have been invited to do a gig in Horsham in about 3 weeks. They have all their own kit except lights and I have been volunteered to sort this out. Help please. So I need to hire, buy, beg, borrow or whatever something suitable. Where do I start and what might I need? Note I prefer not to deal on e-bay. Anyone know of any second hand workable lights within 20 miles of Horsham for sale? BTW I do have power leads which I hire out for marquee lighting so that will help. Thanks in advance. David PS. Anyone used 811 recording studios in Cowfold?
Old 14 November 2003, 09:23 AM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Sorry, no decent input, but I saw Red Hot Chili Peppers and just had to wish them luck!

BTW, some of our local music instrument shops allow light hire etc
Old 14 November 2003, 10:31 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Rag'. I will ask in a couple of shops 'cos they will know someone. Yeah they are very Chillis and actually quite good (though I am biased ). They reached the final of the local "Battle of the Bands" but didn't get a top 3 place. Still in the top 7 of 160 entrants of all ages group bands. Described by a judge as "like Crusaders with Hendrix on guitar". D
Old 14 November 2003, 11:50 AM
JayBee
Scooby Regular

Talking

David

Mail me through my profile.

Used to be in that line of work and still keep my hand in. Wrong end of the world to you but can advise on what you need.

J
Old 14 November 2003, 11:57 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

You need to find out what sort of power supply they have where you are going to as this will effect what size lighting rig you need for example is it all off a 13amp plug or collection of them or is it a 63amp plug is it single or three phase Etc then you need to know if you are hanging the lights off existing lighting bars or truss or do you need to hire stands etc. as to lights at the bottom end of the market you will need parcans and gel of the colours you want. Proabaly better to hire untill things settle down and you know what you want.

As to companies the one i have dealt with for 15 years and would recommend is Trafalgar lighting over in North London though they would be able to pass you on to some body nearer if they couldn't help phone 0208 8870082 and ask for Alan.

it is an expensive thing to get involved in as you don't just have to pay for the equipment you have running costs like lamps Par lamps to you would proabably be in the £45 each price bracket they last for about 800 hours depending on how they are treated also you have to have the equipment PAT tested regularly though you could find most venues are not to worried and obviously if you are putting stuff up above peoples heads or wiring it up you could need liabilty insurance incase it falls over/down or gives some body a shock etc.
Old 14 November 2003, 12:41 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot guys. JayBee - I will mail you. Adrian. Useful stuff thanks. I will investigate. In fact their gig is at the place where they held the heats for the "Battle of the Bands" competition and there is have a small stage so I expect that will have most of the gizmos in place, I will ask. However I need also to think about future gigs where I expect there will just be a 13 amp supply. There are not at Wembley yet