Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ID Cards

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2003, 07:14 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As some of you may be aware today plans were unveiled regarding ID cards.

Some information can be found on the Sky News website on the link below:-

Sky News Story

What are peoples feelings on the ID cards?

*** Edited to fix URL to Sky News, you would think I could do a clicky link by now! ***

Ian

[Edited by IanW - 11/11/2003 7:15:48 PM]
Old 11 November 2003, 07:17 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Angry

Yet another tax - £80 for a ******* passport - just so they know it's mine when I lose it ! (oh and not everyone will need it - handy for sorting out terrorists and shirking theiving scumbags !!!)

Apart from that it's a top Idea !
Old 11 November 2003, 07:17 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

not realy bothered as i've nothing to hide, though if they are made compusary they should be free and not need to pay for them like passports and driving licences.

mike
Old 11 November 2003, 07:20 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Great, more keek to keep in my purse

They can **** off if they think I'm buying one!
Old 11 November 2003, 07:26 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

so will the tens of thousands of illegals who dissapear in the UK every year reapear to get 1???????

if the illegals don't have them whats the point
Old 11 November 2003, 07:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

hmmm, kinda emotive this one.

I do not have a photo ID UK drivers licence (have to have photo on Canadian one) used to be very very anti ID-card. Why? guess i thought it was an invasion of privicay to have to carry a card 24/7 saying who I was.

If they are to be made freely available then it might be ok, however, i do not want 'biometric' data on the cards, not unless I know with 100 percent accuracy exactly what data is held on the card and who will be able to access it and for what reasons. The usual 'oh, we'll put your blood type on there for you, so when you end up getting MRSA in hospital we can give you a transfusion' hmmm, I reckon it'd store other medial info as well, and no doubt it'd extend to whether you have certain dieases or have had them. ok ok, sci-fi getting a bit real there I guess.

Seriously though, the image of someones eye, or fingerprint, hmm, could someone not nick your card and then do something with that info? maybe? or is that sci-fi fare again?

It would not suprise me if the bastids would also put RDIF tags on the bloody things as wel, thus giving big brother the ability to track everyone 24/7, oh, but it's for tracking criminals, yeah right, of course it is!

scaremongering? quite possibly, but, it would not suprise me.

If it means that the thousands and thousands of people who are illegal immigrants in our country can be identified, by virtue they do not have a card, and get kicked out, then bring it on.
Old 11 November 2003, 08:06 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I don't mind having one, I do mind having to pay for it though! Why don't they just fine the **** off you for not having one or am I being far too sensible again

Actually, it really p*sses me off that we have to pay for the "what ifs", it's like speeding, if we speed we get fined because we might have an accident, well I might not go to the doctors this year, can I have a tax break?

Trending Topics

Old 11 November 2003, 08:20 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bring them on.... it'll get rid of dole cheats, identity thieves, and in time, illegals. Worth the extra money when taken over a ten year period.

Most other European countries have them already. Don't let the usual 'human rights' mob put you off. We know already about how much they damage this country.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

UB
Old 11 November 2003, 11:05 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Angry

If we have them as usual it won't work and it will cost a fortune to set up despite not working.

Then all the people who don't have a right to one will just claim asylum so we have to give them benefit and then they will get legal aid to not get deported and eventually when we have paid for all that as well they will just refuse to go and our Police are to busy with speed guns to actually go out and deport them.

To Sum up a waste of our money.
Old 12 November 2003, 10:37 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I'm very wary of such a scheme - its not necessarily the cards themselves that worry me, but the information that goes with them.

To introduce such a scheme, ALL of your personal information will need to be recorded somewhere - a national database would be set up. It could quite easily contain every piece of information already known about you, but collected in one place e.g.

Address
Phone numbers
Car registration, MOT, road tax
Email address
Credit rating
Criminal Record
Traffic offences
Medical information
Tax and NI information
Employment details
Your physical location history (tied in to either the chip in your mobile phone, or in the card itself, working via the national cellular network)
Websites visited
Dodgy or interesting email content, sorted by filters by your ISP
Spending habits

The list goes on........

Now all this can be tied to your fingerprint or iris scan, so you can imagine, all a copper needs is an iris or fingerprint scanner, and he can access all of this information in a matter of seconds - he doesn't even need your ID card. Its no more difficult than a vehicle PNC check.

Think about all that info about you stored on a national database - for 60 million people. Its going to cost bigtime - initial cost would be borne by the taxpayer, but imagine who might be interested in all that info ? Big corporates, retailers, employers, market research, private investigators hired to expose any indiscretions you may have committed. People who would be willing to pay for that information. All of a sudden its a revenue generator.

None of this is rocket science - it all exists today, its just not all joined up yet.

Think about it.

Is it just an anti-terrorist or illegal immigrant measure, or is it an infringement of your civil liberties ?

Is it right that someone, whether its the government, police, employer, or whoever, should be able to access every bit of personal info about you ?

Know where you visited over the last month ?

Know what websites you like to visit ?

Make a judgement about you based on this info ? What if there's an error somewhere ? Would you even know about it ?

Information is power.

T
Old 12 November 2003, 01:41 PM
dj_maskey
Scooby Regular

Illegal imigrants and terrorists can get hold of fake passports and other documents now, what's to stop them getting hold of fake i.d. cards if they are introduced?

But, IMO, if only people who deserve them, get them, they might be a good idea.
Old 12 November 2003, 01:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Thumbs down

Exactly my thoughts. You can copy/clone credit cards

Make fake driving licenses, passports etc. etc. what's stopping these thing being faked too?

Sure all the ID's are entered on to a big database, but only after someone ID's been checked via computer. And for that you'd probably have to be caught doing something wrong in the first place

And the a database that can be accessed nationally via authorised usesr (like police etc.). What's stopping it being hacked, and personal info being changed, stolen, or fake detail being entered on this database. No system is un-hackable IMO.
Old 12 November 2003, 01:57 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Load of bollox although I reckon it could be a good idea to chip a criminal like u do with dogs so they can be scanned if found by a vet, if we scan a criminal then they cant waste police time giving false info when they are caught thieving again innocent people dont need a bloody card saying who they are where they live an cr@p like that, IMO is asking for trouble, we'll be turning into these sci fi films soon, you know where ever u go machines know who u are etc etc apart from a whole community who live in the sewers and back streets who dont have an official identity lmao
Old 12 November 2003, 02:02 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

It will be tied in with postcode matching to provide yet another two tier system, not that this isnt happening atm, ID cards will just make it further reaching.
Old 12 November 2003, 02:19 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

What I object to is HAVING to carry one, basically I won't do it. Being forced to carry an ID card is the same as getting us all tattooed with our ID. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12 November 2003, 04:20 PM
Mr Gee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

They will up the fees for passports and then reduce the term from 10 years down to 5 or even 3 years, which means you will have to re-new these when they expire. = More money more regularly !!!
Old 12 November 2003, 10:27 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

So if i "accidentally" connect 12-volts across the 5v input terminals on the COMPULSARY ID card in my wallet, who will pay for a new card? Indeed who will know exactly when my "track innocent members of the public" card was activated, should it be "broke".

Bunkett - are you blind???????????

mb

p.s. PC morons, please see the irony?
Old 13 November 2003, 09:23 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Interesting comments so far!

I'm not opposed to carrying one. (nothing to hide etc).

What I am opposed to:

1. So far, it has been stated that it will NOT be a legal requirement to carry it with you at all times. Police stop you, ask you for your id card.
Terrorist: Sorry, dont have it with me.
Police: Thats ok, here is a "producer", pop along to you local police station in three days time and produce it.
Terrorist: No problem, of course I'll produce it in three days time. (Like **** I will!)
Police: Ok, off you go....

Whats the point in that then??

2. If implementated, it will be like every other large IT project commissioned by the bumbling idiots we call the goverment.
LATE / OVER BUDGET / DOES NOT WORK

3. Biomectric finger print scanning, is a lot easier to "fool" then iris scanning. No doubt, we will do the finger print scanning....

Apart from that, its fine..