Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Water softener advice....please.

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2003, 06:30 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi everyone....need some advice please....

We have moved to a VERY hard water area and have been having problems with our washing machine.

Over the last few months I have noticed a `smell` coming from the machine and think it must be the fact that the hard water isn`t dissolving the washing liquid properly......the reason I say this is because it doesn`t happen to the dishwasher,(adding salt I guess softens the water?)and it didn`t happen in our old house either.
The bath and shower both need cleaning everyday, not just a usual wipe-over.....a proper Mr Muscle all over scrub down!!!

So we have come to the conclusion we are going to need a water softener.....

So, does anyone have any advice please.......or any other suggestions we might try, believe me I have tried a lot of things so anything would be considered..

Thanx in advance....
Joan.
Old 11 November 2003, 09:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
We, looked into this, well still am..we just never got round to it

I think that you should'nt use some types in-line to taps used for drinking water, as some use sodium as a main ingrediant to soften water.

Calgon is supposed to help with washing machine...but never tried it, our washing machine managed to live for 15years without it breaking and our water is quite hard.
Old 11 November 2003, 09:39 PM
CheekyChimp
Scooby Regular

hard water? whats that then?? *he he he*, Ah the luxuries of northern living.
Old 11 November 2003, 10:30 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

We recently installed a new shower room and a new bathroom, and because of all that shiny new kit I decided to buy and install a water softener as well. It is absolutely brilliant - all the water except the kitchen cold tap goes through it, no limescale at all. The shower glass doors haven't had to be cleaned or even wiped down for several months - just swoosh the water over them.

I got ours from Canterbury Water and plumbed it in without much trouble.

They do their own-brand Kite model, their website allows some comparisons between models, depending on your requirements (for example, if you are on a water meter you might want to go for the least waste water). I'd certainly recommend getting one, and they were extremely helpful. And cheap !
Old 11 November 2003, 11:08 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Suffer from hard water too and often get a musty smell from the washing machine, even though I use Calgon (which is bl00dy expensive in the long run).

I'm getting the bathroom completely re-done at the beginning of next year and I'm seriously contemplating fitting a water softener.

A mate of mine has had one fitted from a company called Silverline, which is meant to use top quality parts. Could be their sales pitch, but he's had it for a couple of years now with absolutely no trouble. I think the maintenance intervals for them are pretty far apart too which is what I'd be looking for.

Best bet if you can wait is to get to a home exhibition like Ideal Home and do some haggling. They're all gagging for your business, especially as there are usually several competing companies!!

Old 11 November 2003, 11:20 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

As above, fitted a softener about 6 months ago to save damage to the shower and fittings, they are superb and cannot imagine going back to hard water. Everything bar the kitchen cold tap and the outside tap goes through it.

Got ours from Homebase when it was on special offer and on a 10% day, only paid £359 for a water metered type as apposed to the cheaper time controlled type.

Costo do 25kg salt for about £4.50.

Allan
Old 12 November 2003, 11:29 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your info guys........

Peter reckoned I was imagining the smell in the washing machine, but I don`t want it to get to the stage that it might make the clothes smell!!!!!
I have phoned the water company (am I allowed to tell you which one?) and they told me that the water in this area has added calcium, when I told them that I thought that added calcium would be adding to the problem they replied that they `add calcium as it is good for teeth and bones in children`.
Sorry, but if I wanted to my child to have `added calcium` then surely I would be giving it to him in vitamin form!!!!!!

Now that most of you agree that it is probably the hard water that is causing us problems......itchy skin and dry flaky scalps after washing our hair, kettle is furing up every week and the washing is as hard as bullets.....Time for Peter to let the moths out of his wallet and invest in a water softener....Ta very much guys...off to check out some sites.

Joan.