Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fireworks.....

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 02:07 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But the point is that if people didn't have their own small displays there would be more, larger professional displays.

Next time you watch the news, listen to the radio or read the newspaper and see/hear someone seriously injured or killed. Ask yourself, if that was your wife/husband/son/daughter, etc, would you still feel the same?
No I woudln't feel differently - to do so would be irrational.

Of course I would want to know the reasons why they died, same as anyone. Either:-

a) It was a tragic accident - they do happen
b) someone was responsible for it happening

If it was b) then I would persue justice with that person.

[Edited by ajm - 11/5/2003 2:08:19 PM]
Old 11 May 2003, 04:25 PM
M J B
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Is there any need for all the swearing?

Its not good that the dog died, the answer is not to ban fireworks. If someone wants to kill a dog they will do it. If a dog was killed with a spade should we ban them?

I bet "most" of the people that have been to hospital due to fireworks are muppets.

MJB - Just got 34 rockets and a repeater to take to WRGB

EDITED i have 43 rockets

[Edited by M J B - 11/5/2003 4:26:49 PM]
Old 11 May 2003, 04:59 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

bleh wrong thread!

[Edited by ajm - 11/5/2003 5:00:47 PM]
Old 11 May 2003, 05:46 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Sick.

However, I like fireworks. Our pets don't really like them, but I'm sure if they had the choice they would be living wild and free in the countryside rather than being couped up in a tiny house??

A great philosopher once spoke:
"If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?"
(The Duke of Edinburgh, in 1996, amid calls to ban firearms after the Dunblane shooting).

J

[Edited by JamieMacdonald - 11/5/2003 5:48:35 PM]
Old 05 November 2003, 12:49 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Angry

I hate having to post this due to the content, I am sickened and mad about what I have read in the "Daily Record" today. What I have wrote below is as stated in the paper, I know that it will infuriate many people on here just as much as it has infuriated myself.

<Quote>

Firework kills Pup.
Firework thugs left a boxer pup to die in agony from burns and shock.
The yobs, some as young as 12, attached a lit firework to the helpless 11 month-old pup's tail.
Animal rescuers called by a horrified passer-by who heard the puppy'scries were unable to help her. She had escaped from her owners garden on an estate in Wishaw, Lanarkshire.
<Coninuation on pg7>
A gang of thugs-some younger than 12- killed a boxer puppy by tying a firework to her tail. The 11 month old pup died in agony from burns and shock before an animal welfare called in by a horrified passer-by could help her. SSPCA inspector Fiona Greig said last night the incident had been "horrific". She said "it was so traumatic. The poor dog was so badly injured she died before I could get her to a vet". " All the hair on her back was burned off, the woman who called us put a wet blacket over her, but it was too late". "She said she had seen a group of children under the age of 12 hanging about letting off fireworks earlier in the day, She said they had attached the firework to the dog". The pups owners were last night too distraught to talk about the killing of their pet on the notorious Gowkthrapple scheme in Wishaw, Lanarkshire. She had escaped from their garden into the streets. SSPCA spokeswoman Mairi Ball last night warned owners to keep pets indoors on Bonfire night and to keep them away from all fireworks. She added " it is awful that any animal should suffer at human hands but it is even more unforgiveable that any animal should suffer as a result of something that is considered fun, no animal should have to die as a consequence of human entertainment. The family are distraught. It is even more sad because the dog seems to have managed to get out of the garden somehow. Someone heard a group of children playing with fireworks in the street, the next thing they heard was a dog howling and screaming in pain. We were called immediately, but it was too late. If fireworks are only allowed on Bonfire NIght then precautions can be taken, the problems really arise when they are going off weeks before and after Bonfire Night".
<Quote Off>

I really hope the police catch these little ****s or better still somebody else catches them and gives them the beating of their lives.
I appologise if I have offended anybody with this post but I believe it needs to be aired. My sincere thoughts are with the family at this time.

John
Old 05 November 2003, 12:52 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Ive only read the first few lines (cant & dont want to read anymore) [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

TIME TO TOTALLY BAN THE FCUKIN THINGS IF YOU ASK ME!!!
Old 05 November 2003, 01:02 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Angry

TIME TO TOTALLY BAN THE FCUKIN THINGS IF YOU ASK ME!!!
No, sorry but this is the wrong reaction. This is a disgusting act and PEOPLE are responsible for it, NOT fireworks.

If it wasn't fireworks it would have been something else.

Target the pondlife and the people that are breeding the pondlife - they are responsible for most of the misery in this country. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05 November 2003, 01:05 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Banning them takes away the temptation for the thick tw@s tho..

Andy
Old 05 November 2003, 01:16 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

ajm? Time to bring back handguns then?

And should we allow knives on planes again?

If you cant educate the morons who mis-use these things then the only other option IS to ban them.

Off topic slightly, the last two organised displays ive been to have had "accidents" too. Full on DISPLAY fireworks falling over and being shot into a crown of parents and children.
Old 05 November 2003, 01:16 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

It also takes away the enjoyment for all the responsible people who enjoy doing their own displays in safety and in sociable hours!

No, the answer must be to get rid of the scum.
Old 05 November 2003, 01:19 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

ajm? Time to bring back handguns then
Boro,

Absolutely. It has had NO effect on gun crime, and all lawful sportsman suffered (myself included).
Old 05 November 2003, 01:26 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Me to ajm, i was also a member of a shooting club.

But, being unselfish, even if it saves ONE life. Its worth it.

Try looking at it from the other-side. Imagine your most loved is shot and killed by a legally held gun in the wrong hands? Worth it?

Anyway, this is getting off-topic. Fireworks are lethal weapons which children think they can play with safely. They CANT!
Old 05 November 2003, 01:28 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Every year the period of time during which fireworks are being let of before and after Bonfire night seems to lengthen, and they seem to go on until later and later at night. My parents have had to keep their cats in for 2 weeks now, and expect to have to continue to do so for a further 2 weeks.

This may be down to people, but in general I think it's clear that too many people are unwilling or unable to act fairly and responsibly when it comes to fireworks.

Every year people and animals are hurt in accidents involving fireworks and, worse, by deliberate misuse of fireworks.

I now believe fireworks should be banned except at organised displays run by licensed individuals or groups.
Old 05 November 2003, 01:45 PM
JR55
Scooby Regular

Banning them may be a dangerous thing to do due to a lack of control and a black market springing up. Serious control should be placed on who can sell them, at the moment any-one( who has a safe storage area) can stock and supply them. If a proper licensing scheme was set up and the minimum age increased to 21 it should cut down the supply route to these scrots or at least enable the police to have some powers to go after the scrots and there suppliers.
Old 05 November 2003, 01:45 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

The reasons a firework is used recklessly by a child are as follows:-

The child is badly disciplined
The parents are negligent
The shopkeeper that sold them the fireworks is negligent.

THOSE are the people that should be punished, not the innocent masses.

A blanket ban on fireworks is unfair and uneccessary.

With regard to noise, this is a harder one, but banning private fireworks will not address it because professional displays could still be organised at any time.
Old 05 November 2003, 02:00 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

How many professional displays are within earshot of your house?

One?

So, one night of noise and its all over. At the moment its every night for 3 weeks before and after.

Next time you watch the news, listen to the radio or read the newspaper and see/hear someone seriously injured or killed. Ask yourself, if that was your wife/husband/son/daughter, etc, would you still feel the same?
Old 05 November 2003, 02:05 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Angry

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I would get a hold of the little f|_|ckers and kick the living $hit out of them !!
Old 05 November 2003, 02:11 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Interesting FACTS...

Bonfire Night 2001

1362 people were treated in hospital after an accident involving a firework

685 of these were children under 16 (just over 50%)

Firework injuries went up by over 40% between 2000-2001

Where do most firework accidents occur?:-

40% family/private party
30% on the streets
10% organised displays
20% split over "others"

Rockets cause more accidents than any other firework

Click HERE for the full picture
Old 05 November 2003, 02:12 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Words cannot describe how sickening that is.

I would take enormous pleasure in tying a firework to the scum who did this..and their parents, they are just as guilty.

And then sterilise anyone, male or female who's "child" is caught doing anything of a serious nature. And sterilise them as well.

Stop the ******* breeding and you'll get rid of the scum.

And yes, punish the shopkeepers.

**** upsetting the masses....Shame. get over it, its only a poxy firework. Have organised licenced displays only.

Anyone else caught with a firework should be treated like they had a gun....

In fact, sod it, just ban fireworks period, easier to police that way.

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Old 05 November 2003, 02:14 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

If it was b) then I would persue justice with that person.
Sorry, but that wouldnt cut it with me. 10 years in jail? Nah, eye for an eye maybe.
Old 05 November 2003, 02:16 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

It would also stop them from using rockets and 4" waste pipe as a weapon to use against the Fire Service after calling them to put out the fire the little b@stards started !![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05 November 2003, 02:16 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

40% family/private party
30% on the streets
10% organised displays
20% split over "others
Right, but no one is disagreeing that MISUSE of firworks can cause injuries.

What we are talking about is stopping the injurys caused by people on other people and the way to do that is to tackle the perpetrators NOT to ban their particular weapon of the moment.
Old 05 November 2003, 02:20 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

But that doesn't stop fireworks scaring the **** out of cats, dogs, birds and other wildlife, does it?

Clearly you've never seen a distressed animal as a result of our entertainment.

Or perhaps you don't care.....

Old 05 November 2003, 02:21 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

f*#king disgusting, the lil ***** wants a f*#king good beating, Im thinking if that was my dog I wouldnt have no qualms about putting a gun to the f*#kers heads. I know they are only kids but theres no friggin need for that, its disgusting just thinking about what that dog was feeling. its a disgrace, to think these kids will get off scott free and probably do it again next years to some1 elses dog is a disgrace. Im in a really bad mood now.

Dont get me wrong I like to watch fireworks at the right time etc yes it nice but they are dangerous, Ive heard fireworks around our area for the last 2 weeks and they'll continue for another 2 weeks then a short break and it'll kick off again over christmas n new yr. my dog wont even go int he back yard for a **** cause of people letting them off. why let em off on a tues nite the 4th. it should be the 5th of November or the weekend b4 or after which ever is closer for those with kids that have school in the morning.

maybe fire works should be banned completely and only sold to the fire brigade and each town have its own proper big display on the 5th of November, that way it cant fall into the worng hands kids or adults. every1 can enjoy the culture of firework nite without the majority of the dangers
Old 05 November 2003, 02:27 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Lets face, the bloke were celebrating was a terrorist anyway, wheres the sense in that?
Old 05 November 2003, 02:44 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

OK - So some people use fireworks for cruelty and some people are careless - people and animals get killed and your solution is to ban fireworks?

Next you will be telling us that speed kills - in fact cars kill, so ban cars?

Fireworks have been banned in NI for the past two years except for people who have a govt approved licence to purchase and use. Two years ago I could walk into a local supplier and buy BS standard garden fireworks.

Now all I can get are 'made in a sweatshop in tiwan' display fireworks from the local hoods.

Banning fireworks will only stop legitimate users from using them. The hoods, yobs and pondscum will still get them and use them
Old 05 November 2003, 02:46 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

It also takes away the enjoyment for all the responsible people who enjoy doing their own displays in safety and in sociable hours!
Who are they then? Don't think I've ever come across them.

Organised displays ONLY and ONLY on the 5th Nov IMO.

UB[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05 November 2003, 02:48 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

FB, do you still have the same problems with fireworks or in general has it reduced the amount of use of firework? Do you still get the 6 weeks of constant noise and kids throwing bangers at OAPS and tying them to dogs tails?
Old 05 November 2003, 02:56 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

------
Organised displays ONLY and ONLY on the 5th Nov IMO
------

Spot on, exactly how it should be, youd still be able to enjoy bonfire night without 90% of the danger during a 4-6 week period and less stress for the Old and Animals
Old 05 November 2003, 03:01 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Question

What other times of the year can you buy explosives over the counter (for that is what they are)?

I'm all for public displays only. Living on a housing estate, I can't believe the amount of people that fire rockets from their back garden with complete disregard for where they land. Given that there is a busy main road near us, what would you do in the event that a rocket came down on your bonnet/windscreen, scared the $hit out of you and possibly caused an accident/damage? Who would be liable? Probably no-one and you'd have to pay for damage yourself.

Stick to public displays in large open areas