Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

how long will this last??

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2003, 12:20 AM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting discussion.

I think this is a difficult one but reckon it is quite natural, socially, for people to be biased toward a minority group. As a liberal country we have chosen to allow various races to migrate here so it is only normal to want to welcome and guard their interests. Otherwise why let people in in the first place if we are going to openly air our frustrations and alienate the ones we are trying to welcome? Naturally this extends to frowning on people that upset immigrants in any shape or form - hence it’s bad to be openly racist/non PC and why some people work hard to ensure that we conform loosely to some form of social etiquette.

Admittedly it does seem unfair as things are becoming strongly biased toward the minority but I guess the objective here is on promoting integration and not alienation.

Having said that there are some things that get to me with races in this country. I am Chinese and have a reasonably big family but have chosen to integrate with the rest of society. By integrate I mean live independently of my race. What I find odd is that many Chinese, Indian, Jewish and Pakistani etc. families choose to live and settle in large communities. I’m sure there’s a logical reason for it (thoughts please) but I cannot understand how it is possible to fully integrate into a society whilst living in a community containing a single race.

I’m pretty sure if all races decided to spread out and integrate more then we would be able to all take the pi55 out of each other like those sheep worriers over the border and the other ones down under but then who am I kidding (flipping idealists )

[Edited by civictyper - 11/1/2003 12:30:13 AM]
Old 11 January 2003, 12:35 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, Lucky git!

alot of chinese women are very very very sexy....hmmmm Zhang Ziyi....Drooooooooooooooooooooooool!

Sorry, Bit off topic there!

Edited for spelling!

[Edited by EvilKyote - 11/1/2003 12:44:58 AM]
Old 31 October 2003, 09:25 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

As scoobynet is now a politically correct board, and has been made to toe the pc line, how come we can poke fun at ourselves but not at anyone else????

is there a pikeysnet where they poke fun at us??? will they have threads locked because some dont like what they say about us??

hows this then

we quite happily shipped our dregs of society off to a foregien(oops) land and abandoned them ... they then colonised that land and became independant...

We regularly take the p*ss out of them, and they out of us,,, yet we or they are not considered racist,and it is all accepted. yet we can be called racist or xenophobic if we dare to suggest we dont like x or y

Our forfathers fought to provide us with the freedom of choice and speech we have today, yet we live in a society which favours the minority not the majority!!

my understanding was that we lived in a democracy for which the definition is

1. Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
2. A political or social unit that has such a government.
3. The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
4. Majority rule.
5. The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community

Interestingly we apply definition 5 with such vigour it strips the validity of definition 4 yet in doing so we breach the definition of the statement

example we post on scooby(pc)net about members of the self travelling non fixed abode community formerly p***ys

yet the threads are loked asap

the board itself states it is a forum of which the definition is

1 a) The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
b) A public meeting place for open discussion.
c) A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.
2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.
3. A court of law; a tribunal.

yet we cannot apply the medium of open discussion !!!!

Prehaps we all need to apply the one thing that has dissapeared since we adopted the pc line common sense!!!

no one goes out deliberatly to harass or offend people yet certain sections of our rich multicultural society seem to be able to overule the basics and turn the very principles we established against us.... and its accepted................

one question why.....

M

[Edited by mart360 - 10/31/2003 9:28:10 PM]
Old 31 October 2003, 09:29 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

We are also "fat free".
Old 31 October 2003, 09:35 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Why?

Because your not allowed to have an opinion in this country in case you offend somebody. Its pathetic.

Unless of course your from an ethnic group or some other type of weird sector ie gays etc.

Its about time this country listened to the the majority of its people and not give in to these minority groups.

Chip

In answer to your original ? . Not long I would say as you used the P word which is of course terrible.
Old 31 October 2003, 09:38 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Wink

oh no i didnt... i used the p****ys word which equates to

p star star star star star y s so its not offensive unless you are a ........P **** etc

M
Old 31 October 2003, 09:39 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

pikeysnet. Oh yeah thats OK then. I do apologise.

Chip.
Old 31 October 2003, 09:50 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I have been shouted at many a time by lots of people because of my opinions.

Personally I disagree with a lot of things all these 'do gooders' shout about, but you don't see me getting all arsey when they voice their opinions the way they do when I voice mines. The whole 'kin thing is a joke really, I thought it was about equality in society?

Instead of trying to 'do good' they can prevent friction by accepting the fact that everybody is different.

My 2p
Old 31 October 2003, 09:57 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Being Welsh I get called Taffy, Boyo etc .
Also has a letter from a customer this week praising our work. He said the only problem with us as that as we were working in the country we kept on running off trying to catch the sheep.This guy actually put this in writing.

Did I get offended. No I just had a larf at his sense of humour.
Pity a few others couldnt do this. Maybe I should send the letter to Trevor Philips. I,m sure he'd love to take up my case for me.

Chip.
Old 31 October 2003, 10:10 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

sfunny i kept the welsh out of it... jus in case... (??)

but we can take the p*** out of the australians??? and they from us??

M
Old 31 October 2003, 10:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
I find it odd that there is so much mod intervention on threads like those mentioned

especially when:

Opinions expressed are not the opinions of ScoobyNet
So what's the problem? scoobynet can't be held liable, and the opinions are of individuals.
Now if a person, or user was being singled out and persecuted - thats a different story. As are insulting things that are mentioned that cause a large number of objections.

Seems to me it's mod-ing for the sake of mod-ing. Sort of "mod-dread" Police, Judge and Jury all rolled into one
Old 31 October 2003, 10:44 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

aha interesting that must mean that there a thousands of p*** (fill in the blanks) viewing scoobnet for them to object..

but then again it overules the idea of a forum, and a democracy...

and in turn is offensive to me..... as it overules my right to freedom of speech and printed word....

M
Old 31 October 2003, 11:12 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Meh stop complaining. Its about time us darkies gets to hold the whip.
Old 01 November 2003, 12:06 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Talking

fat pikey *******s :P
Old 01 November 2003, 12:17 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

so we can't say Jap scooby any more because shortening names can be found offensive :shrugs:

I can see that scooby drivers would find this offensive having Subaru shortened to Scooby. After all - Scooby is a fat dog with an eating disorder.

Please sign petition below to get offensive 'Scoobynet' name changed
Old 01 November 2003, 12:18 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

I'm not pointing at any one moderator, and I do not wish to intentionally offend any of the moderators, but I think that there are either too many of them, or that certain moderators use there power to lock threads that they don't agree with or that aren't in line with their own way of thinking far too much.

As already stated 'these opinions are not of that of scoobynet' or whatever, and what ever happened to freedom of speech.

Fair enough if someone is directing abuse at an individual that is not called for, but just because a moderator does not agree with the topic of a discussion, or because that discussion is controversial in some way, does not give them the right to go round locking every thread they do not agree with!!!!

It really is *VERY VERY* annoying to take part in an open discussion, thinking you are putting forward valid point and opinions, only to have it locked!

It is not right and it is not the way a forum should be run!

Thats my 2p's worth.

Completely agree with you mart!

EK

Old 01 November 2003, 12:27 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Agree with you there Civic.

I would also be interested in hearing the opinions of the moderators on this!
Old 01 November 2003, 12:31 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

civic - I used to go out with a Chinese girl who had been brought up as Irish (I.E. - Not as living in a small portion of China existing in Ireland)

She got abuse from both sides, but always laughed it off, taking the view that only a retarded person could dislike someone for the history of their predecessors. She used to refer to herself as a member of the banana community. It took me a few weeks to get up courage to ask her what it means. Her reply

'Basically - I am yellow on the outside and white on the inside'

I did ROTFLMAO
Old 01 November 2003, 12:34 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
I agree with you civictyper on the racial integration.

The area I live was mainly white, and in the last 10years it has been changed to mainly Pakistani, I feel alianated in my own area by migrants. The Primary school teaches Urdu, The social centre has signs written in Gobbel-de-gook. It's a classic scienario of what you mention. These poeple fail to integrate by accepting the English language and ways of living, how can they expect to be accepted? I'm not saying they should ditch their own languages and culture, just that shouldn't expect our public services to bend over backwards through their own Ignornace/arrogance.

Opps, I'm going off topic and back on to the race topic

Can a mod please delete my post
Old 01 November 2003, 12:37 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Yummy! Wicky wicky wicky
Old 01 November 2003, 12:46 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

dammit, now I'm in the mood for watching crouching tiger hidden dragon.......for the 150th time!
Old 01 November 2003, 12:51 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah man! Play it...
Old 01 November 2003, 01:04 AM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

the board itself states it is a forum of which the definition is

1 a) The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
b) A public meeting place for open discussion.
c) A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.
2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.
3. A court of law; a tribunal.

yet we cannot apply the medium of open discussion !!!!
Very true but IMHO the word 'open' is a complete misnomer when combined with 'discussion'. All made to make people feel like they can say what they want but not really.

I reckon if we look at each of the above definitions we would find that in each case we would not be able to apply the medium of an 'open discussion' at all.

1a,b) In public I'm almost certain that I would not be able to get away with saying chinky in the company of a group of Chinese folks (well I probably could being Chinese but I digress )
c) There's no way an editor, DJ or director would allow me to talk openly about chinkys using their media.
2,3) as 1a,b above.

Unfortunately we've been duped into thinking that we can post what we like on a forum but in reality we can't as we still have to conform. Probably even more so as we can't see the people with which we are holding a discussion.

Personally I'd like it if we could all say what the hell we wanted because if we did we wouldn't have this namby pamby PC stuff. I could say that my partner's **** looked fat in jeans if that was what I thought and it would be accepted without further conflict. We'd all be happy

Hell I'm getting all idealistic again Time for bed.
Old 01 November 2003, 01:05 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

moving off topic a bit!!!

Old 01 November 2003, 01:10 AM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Fast Bloke
Old 01 November 2003, 06:32 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

This thread has a lot of valid points. A few things to note though:

1) Mods don't like locking threads - it is the last resort
2) It's not some mad power trip - mods are not paid, most of us have been of the board for several years - it's just a way of putting something back into the community that is Scoobynet. Personally speaking I've met a lot of people who I now consider to be very good friends through Scoobynet. I've also been and done a lot of things that I know I wouldn't have without Scoobynet.
3) Despite what you might think, freedom of speech does not exist - fact.
4) Scoobynet has the disclaimer at the bottom, but it only protects you up to the point.
5) Consider the recent example of the footballers accused of raping the girl in a London hotel. Several BBS's were shut down and threatened with very serious legal action because of threads posted on their boards. It was not just the individual who posted the thread that be could threatened with legal action.
6) Scoobynet has on quite a few occassions been threatened with legal action itself. It has come close to being shutdown because of it.
7) Simon and Shaun don't want to fight costly legal battles (who would?), so because of that, we try to keep the board mainstream and friendly. If there was a way of letting people post exactly what they wanted all of the time, then we would, but it isn't practical. The same goes for every BBS I've ever been on. They all have mods.
8) Work with us, rather than against us. We are all members of the board and we are all here for the same reason.

Chris
Old 01 November 2003, 07:59 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

Its difficult to disagree with a general "freedom of speech" view,but you have to draw the line somewhere,or some members may be offended when they read the bbs,and its no arguement to say "well you can call me a white git and i wont be bothered".That hardly stacks up as an arguement for allowing racists views to be posted under a general freedom of speech banner.
I have been a critic of several moderators in here,and i don't want to drag it all out agin,but some are spot on most of the time,so in their defence (the good ones),I would through the question back at Mark,would you draw a line somewhere,or just allow all abuse,no matter how offensive?

footnote-I do agree that moderation in here is excessive and the view that its for legal reasons to be just laughable,and the constant referring to Friends Reunited to be a lazy and cheap get out of jail clause.But I still think Mark has over generalised a bit in as much as you can't have a total free for all,imo.

[Edited by dba - 11/1/2003 8:01:55 AM]
Old 01 November 2003, 09:52 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I'm still amazed that Scoobynet gets threatened with so much legal action, I'm involved with several boards at an admin/moderator level and none of them have ever been threatened with any kind of action and yet they allow some seriously "dodgy" threads stay active, and yes, they are as active as Scoobynet. So what makes SN so litigious?
Old 01 November 2003, 10:25 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I would have thought cos of the people that post here. I remember talking to simon and he said at any point, 24 hours a day there are 350 people on here. There are approaching 30,000 registered users now, okay some of them are duplicate names, but that is still a hell of a lot of people. All with very different outlooks.
Your for instance of the "Honest law abiding travelling folk" threads getting locked. Some of you considered it a laugh, but others obiviously felt strongly enough to ask the mods to lock it.
The point is that if they didnt then that could leave the board open for legal action, action which could lead to the board being closed. I dont want that to happen, so I respect the mods for their decisions to lock threads.
astraboy.
Old 01 November 2003, 10:59 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

So what makes SN so litigious?

maybe its just a myth

Quick Reply: how long will this last??