Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sony DSCU30 digi camera ????

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2003, 04:19 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have used towzers one of these a few times. Its good, handy and small, and with a 128mb card in can take alot of pics, but for good quailty you need it set to the maximum size.

I think you can get just as good cameras with a zoom tho, and the lack of zoon lets the Sony down. And also its ferocious appetite for batteries.

Dave

All my pics on http://www.steveabbottracing.com were taken with Phils

[Edited by druddle - 11/3/2003 6:01:47 PM]
Old 11 March 2003, 07:21 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

JimmyRB5PRO, YHM, although I think Mattstant has the best value for you...

[Edited by STi-Frenchie - 11/3/2003 7:23:09 PM]
Old 31 October 2003, 03:05 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Has any one got of these little jobbies, are they any good and realistically what size mem card do u need ??
dont want to take professional photos' just never take camera anywhere cos always to big , might take this if had one !!

these ...http://www.cameras2u.com/products/details.cfm?PRODUCT=DSCU30S%2ECEH&refer=dlt
Old 31 October 2003, 03:51 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

no one got one ??
Old 31 October 2003, 07:09 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

No, sorry. In general I don't recommend Sony because of their insistence on using the unnecessary, proprietary and low capacity Memory Stick format. I'd stick with something that uses Compact Flash (1st choice), Smart Media or MMC/SD cards.

Lots of my usual waffle about cameras here if you want some fairly heavyweight background reading

A.
Old 31 October 2003, 08:21 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

Sony have low capacity memory sticks? I've got a 512Mb Pro one but could have gone upto to 1Gb. So what's high capacity then?
Old 31 October 2003, 09:00 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

That's Memory Stick Pro - the new and incompatible format introduced to overcome the silly 128MB limitation in the original. Got an older camera? 128MB's your lot.

I'm just not impressed by Sony for using their marketing clout to push a format onto a market that simply didn't need it. If it had been technically superior to the alternatives in any way then I wouldn't be so hostile, but it wasn't.

FWIW, Compact Flash now comes in 6GByte...
Old 01 November 2003, 09:11 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

I have one of these and it's the mutts nutts for what it is. If you:

(a) want something which will slip into your shirt pocket
(b) aren't expecting to produce anything bigger than the usual postcard size prints
(c) plan to display your pics on the web

no worries.

Never mind all the techno-babble about flash cards, capacities, compatibilities and so on (no offence Andy) - if you just want a go-anywhere bit of kit which doesn't cost a lot and does the basics, the Sony is hard to beat. There's no zoom function and the mpeg movies it can do have no sound so it really *is* basic...but a lot of fun.

128Mb on a memory stick is plenty - so you'll get over 200 onto a 128 stick and at 40 quid for the stick, it's a bargain.

I bought mine so I'd have it handy when I see some of the minging cars that are around my area...and post the pics up here for a giggle. It's not supposed to be a serious tool so if you bear that in mind and accept the limitations, it's a cool little number.
Old 01 November 2003, 10:01 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I just bought a Canon A70 yesterday (the A60 is the cheaper 2megapixel version). Am very pleased with my purchase. It's a good size and weight and is dead easy to tak pics - but load of options if you want to look like a pro.

I did a lot of research here

http://www.epinions.com
http://uk.pricerunner.com
Old 01 November 2003, 12:01 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

See what I mean about mingers ?

This is a Nissan Sunny which I snapped this morning whilst out doing the supermarket run

Old 01 November 2003, 02:27 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

And then again...there are some rather nice cars (and drivers) around. Shortly after this passed, a silver Modena 360 drove past - didn't bother to snap it

Old 03 November 2003, 03:43 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers, sti-frechie,

that's what i want to use it for as the post said, ie carry to places that i neve take a camera ! chers for the info...ps where did u buy the 128mb car d for £40 i have only seen the 64mb for that price !!
Old 03 November 2003, 03:45 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers, sti-frechie,

that's what i want to use it for as the post said, ie carry to places that i neve take a camera ! chers for the info...ps where did u buy the 128mb car d for £40 i have only seen the 64mb for that price !!
Old 03 November 2003, 05:26 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

I'm just not impressed by Sony for using their marketing clout to push a format onto a market that simply didn't need it. If it had been technically superior to the alternatives in any way then I wouldn't be so hostile, but it wasn't.

Fair points Andy and i know you know your stuff but i bought a sony dsc p2 about 6 months ago for around £220 for work and i had a danmned good look round at the same price bracket and the closest in spec was a kodak something or other which was horrendously plastic had poxy aa rechargeables and you had to pay extra for the charging stand and the optics werent anywhere near as good.
yes the memory sticks are devisive but the old ones are now dirt cheap try here http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=7644

I took a 128 mb card on a 2 week holiday and got 100s of perfectly decent shots and still had room on the card when i got home.
Old 03 November 2003, 06:21 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Cool

OK, fair point. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything at all. BUT:

- I do have my feelings about Sony as a company, and saw no reason not to express them. I figure I'm allowed to be prejudiced when my beliefs are based on sound facts and reasoning. Your Mileage May Vary (TM).

- I've chosen Sony a number of times earlier in my life and usually regretted it. (My car stereo in particular has various software bugs and periodically retunes itself to Radio 2!)

- as with any opinions posted on the 'net by people you don't know, you're always free to ignore me

The camera in question might be great - I really don't know - but I'd still recommend checking out other makes. Nikon, Canon and Fuji would be the ones I'd investigate. These companies all have core competences in photography and their products are generally well reviewed.

As always, the best advice is to actually walk into a store and try out a camera for yourself - the 'best' camera in the world is no good to you if it feels too heavy, light, slow, complicated, fiddly, clumsy, awkward, unintuitive, plasticky or just plain naff. Read some reviews, pick a top three and then go try them out.

HTH

Andy.
Old 04 November 2003, 02:13 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No worries Andy i Know what you mean about personal experiences I once bought a sigma lense for a canon eos 600 and had it replaced twice after many ruined shots then bought a canon 28-70 to replace it
i wont touch Sigma since I even tried a second hand lense on approval recently after a salesmen insisted i had just been unlucky and that was faulty as well.