Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Oh no not the 'P' word....

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2003, 09:06 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never read anything like this before, I don't know whether to laugh or be appalled, but I'll let you guys decide for yourselves.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/3222321.stm

Its always an interesting discussion when the 'P' word is used.
Old 29 October 2003, 09:08 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

In before STIShrek defends this.
Old 29 October 2003, 09:09 AM
Luke
BANNED

Good

Like bloody rats.
Old 29 October 2003, 09:33 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

Probably a true reflection of public opinion (mine included, fwiw)

Surely it is the Gypsies who need to change their behaviour in order to address the public perception?

Suresh
Old 29 October 2003, 09:34 AM
Tommy 2000
Scooby Regular

LOL, time to bring out the best quote in '******'!
Old 29 October 2003, 09:41 AM
mwp
Scooby Regular

regardless of who's in it ... one less caravan on the road has to be a good thing

5th november ... come on you know it makes sense
Old 29 October 2003, 09:47 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Havent grown people got anything more constructive to do with their lives.

[Edited by paulr - 10/29/2003 9:53:23 AM]
Old 29 October 2003, 09:52 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LMFAO
Old 29 October 2003, 09:55 AM
Luke
BANNED

well tell that to the pikeys then.....

If you are not paying into the society that you live in or not wanting to educate your children and live of a life of crime..then dont be supprised if people hate you.

[Edited by Luke - 10/29/2003 10:34:38 AM]
Old 29 October 2003, 09:56 AM
mwp
Scooby Regular

i personally cannot think of anything more constructive than keeping people warm at this time of year with a burning caravan.

honest
Old 29 October 2003, 10:03 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Dammit I agree with Luke
Old 29 October 2003, 10:09 AM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Whats the big deal was anybody injured.......No

So why the **** do we have to be accused of being racist everytime somebody has a laugh or a joke, it is about time people lightened up and got a life!
Old 29 October 2003, 10:26 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Pikey doesn't necessarily mean anyone of romany origin does it? Well to me at least, it conjurs up the image of people who live in caravans, squat on land illegaly, bring a mini-crime wave to the area then **** off leaving the place in a tip. Nothing to do with race or racism- I'm the first one to stand up against that cr*p. This is to do with people who generally seem to behave as they wish, without regard for the law or common decency. I'm sure there are many people of romany origin who don't behave like that, just as I'm sure there are people of other racial origins that do.
Seems to me they were lucky that it wasn't them being burnt rather than a mere effigy.
Old 29 October 2003, 10:40 AM
Tommy 2000
Scooby Regular

How long before the mods edit the P word in Luke and NACRO's posts? Place your bets...

[Edited by Tommy 2000 - 10/29/2003 10:41:43 AM]
Old 29 October 2003, 10:44 AM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

i also dont see it as a race slang against romany origin, as it is only used to refer to gypos. words change there meaning over time, like does anyone ever actually say there feeling gay today? (as in happy?)
Old 29 October 2003, 10:46 AM
Luke
BANNED

Well concidering its used in the "Times" ,by the BBC and many other parts of the media..I dont see what the problem is with it???

Also in th elast few months...it has been used many times ...also by a moderator.

Anyway as long as nobody mentions "Fat pikeys" we should be ok.....
Old 29 October 2003, 10:46 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Angry

I can't believe the report is so biased in the terms of burning the caravan was completely worng. There is a very valid point, and that is gypo's travellers, pikeys whatever you want to call them, are complete scum. So why defend them?

I think the bonfire would have gone up even better if they'd burnt a truck mocked up so that it looked like it was carrying a load of "asylum" seekers too. (and when I mean "asylum" I mean economic migrants looking for a country to sponge off).

[Edited by ALi-B - 10/29/2003 10:53:26 AM]
Old 29 October 2003, 10:47 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Agreed these are not romany/gypsy but what we call tinks/gadges up here. They appear every summer - park in the laybyes like the Ben Nevis viewpoint with the caravans, trucks, dogs and finally leave with sh*t strewn freely over a 100 yards round about.
Great for both the tourist and locals to have to put up with these lowlifes.
What gets on my wick even more is that there is a campsite for them 2 miles from where they park that is always empty. Campsite has individual block toilets for each van, power points etc. This was built to stop them having to park in laybyes. With our cash!
Makes me mad.
Alas
Old 29 October 2003, 10:48 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

I agree with Narco,

I'm not against anyone, but at the end of the day they have brought this upon themselves.

They come along, ruin lovely area's with thier rubbish/human waste etc, thier kids and probably the parents too, go out vandalising and stealing from the area they are in at the time, have no regard for other people, or law, alot of time they park on private land (Not their own!), and park on council land.

The authories spend loads of money trying to get them evicted and shortly before that can take action they leave, leaving the local authorities to spend yet more of OUR money cleaning up after them.

The police have inadiquet (Spelling?) powers and can more or less do nothing about it whether they like it or not.

They brought this on themselves and the public hatred towards them is well deserved. I know the actions taken by the bonfire society people might be a little extreme, but if you think about it, these p!key's are always in the local news and the government never does anything. It would seem best way to get noticed now is to do something that is so contraversial that people have to take note.

As Kevin Spacey in seven said it best 'You can't just tap people on the shoulder anymore, you have to hit them with a sledgehammer, then you will find you have their full attention!'

Unfortunatly, it would seem this quote is all too true now adays, Goventments don't give a flying f*ck what people think and don't listen to people..... Until they do something that they *Have* to take notice of!

P!keys brought this on themselves through thier own selfish behavour and I don't think they derserve our sympathy!

Sorry if people think this is a little extreme, but just take a step back and look at the big picture!

EK

Edited for spelling

[Edited by EvilKyote - 10/29/2003 10:51:10 AM]
Old 29 October 2003, 10:53 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Thumbs up

Here Here EvilKyote.
Old 29 October 2003, 10:55 AM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

<Bowe mode on>

Thank you, thank you!

</bowe mode off>

Old 29 October 2003, 10:56 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

"laugh or be appaulled"

Laugh here!

Maybe if the pik.... err travellers didn't cause misery everywhere they go then people wouldn't hate them enough to burn effigies of them.

At least they didn't actually burn one of their caravans!

And as for racism... errr no. Its a demonstration against a SELFISH way of life that creates destruction, mess, crime and misery for innocent people. To suggest they should be locked up for protesting against a scurge is an absolute disgrace! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 29 October 2003, 11:26 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Angry

ajm,

We have them camp in a car park near us a couple of times a year and I totally agree with everything you say.

I have nothing against them as people but I hate the way their selfish way of life effects innocent people.

The mess they leave behind is disgusting and last time they were moved on by the police they damaged 25 cars parked in the car park before they left...
Old 29 October 2003, 01:33 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the line was crossed by putting images of people in the caravan. It suggests you want to burn them alive, and let's face it, that's as close to the original form of genocide as you can get. Just burning the caravan with the number plate would have been a bit more acceptable to society - they damage your property, you want to damage theirs. They aren't most famous for killing people.

The other thing is, is it true that pikeys are defined as a race? Or is it just a lifestyle, like New Age Travellers, people who rejected the riches of the late 80s and went "alternative"? How can it be racist? The word originates from travellers who used to sleep in turnpike booths. As I see it, pikeys and romanies (a race of gypsies, originating from E Europe I think) are two different communities, now blurred. Anyone know?

...anyone care?
Old 29 October 2003, 01:50 PM
Mercury
Scooby Regular

What happened to the once, well-used term 'didicoy' to describe these travellers? Rarely hear it nowadays.