Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

November 5th

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2003, 11:44 AM
nkh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As one who spent 5 weeks in a burns unit and is scarred for life, I urge everyone to attend a professional display. My accident happened when I was 7 years old through no fault of my own when a firework from another partly malfunctioned. Fireworks are dangerous no matter how many precautions you take. I am fully aware that fireworks are pretty and exciting but to me November 5th, and the days that surround it, is a trial and I am petrified by the smallest bang.
Old 20 October 2003, 01:05 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Good advice mate but sorry to hear of your accident

oh and if you are scared by the smallest of bangs then I urge you not to be a passenger in my car when changing from 3rd to 2nd

Old 20 October 2003, 01:19 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

nkh,
Whilst what you have experienced is undoubtedly a tragedy, and fireworks are indeed potentially dangerous, people should remember that more than 99% of private firework usage goes off (no pun itended) without incident.

Geezer
Old 20 October 2003, 02:19 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

I personally think private firework parties - should be banned. Or rather we shouldn't be able to buy fireworks without a licence.

We're quite happy with professional displays.

Round here (Leicestershire) the fireworks start at Diwali, and go on to the end of November, if not the beginning of December.

Right pain in the 4rse with small children - you just get them to sleep then some pratt lets of loads of those banger things - or decides to have a firework party in their back garden.

Can't do much for the environment either - all those bonfires sending cr4p into the atmosphere....

Sorry to hear about your accident nkh. This is the main reason they should be banned - explosives should only be in the hands of the professionals and the experienced, or this will happen year after year.
Old 20 October 2003, 03:32 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

i was discussing this with my girlfriend the other day that fireworks should only be sold to professionals with some kind of liscence issued
Old 20 October 2003, 04:14 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

...and professional fireworks displays are usually 10x better than the stuff you can safely let off in your garden anyway
Old 20 October 2003, 04:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had a near miss a couple of years back, misfiring firework hit the back of the house and dropped amongst the assembled freinds an relatives. Luckily no one was hurt but it was close.

Too many people take liberties with these things, they can hurt you even when you follow the instructions. Its mad, there was one in homebase today, it must have been about ten inches across and two feet high, it cost 50 quid, imagine the problems that could cause. There are loads of ***** round here that set off a selection of fireworks at 2 am for some reason, WTF, oh its 2 o clock, time for a big noisy firework in a resedential area a month before bonfire night, ignorant *****, I mean they aint the cheap ones round here, they must spend thousands bloody wedged up ignorant w4nkers.

Some new neighbours moved in and had a party, fair enough loud music until midnight, then they started the firewords, they went on sporadically until about 3am along with more music and honking laughter, had a word with the old fella the next day, who was on his way to Belgium with his biker mates in a day or two (all eight of them), two days later our new neighbours were treated to the sound of eight race cans attached to various blades, gixxers and Ducatis at 5 am for a minute or so and they still dont know why !

Shame it woke the whole street up though.