Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

monday mornin bb post

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2003, 08:57 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Right, I need help. Seated dumbell shoulder pressing. I would normally swing the weights up to the top position and start from there(whilst seated), but i went up to a decent weight yesterday and i got "stuck" and nearly had a bad accident.
What method do you guys use to get the big weights up avoiding bending at wierd angles

cheers

Paul

Old 13 October 2003, 09:11 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

i push a lot of weight on overhead work, and when using db's, i tend to put them on my knees and flick them up to the start position. i've not had a problem with that approach. there's no way i could realistically curl up what i military press, so i have to do it this way.

i do prefer push-press or barbell military press or strict overhead press for my main shoulder movement tho. my shoulders are even tho.

cleans are also nice and will fry your traps and rear delts
Old 13 October 2003, 09:13 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Few people start from the extended position Paul, what got you into that routine? I'd have thought that would just increase the chance of injury. Very unusual.

Nevertheless, dangerous exercise. Most blokes have had a "twinge" in the back from doing these at some point. Generally i use a preacher bench turned the wrong way round, so that it supports my back without impeding on the dumbell movement. Seeing guys do this without any form of back support always makes me cringe, but it's personal preference i guess.

The biggest accident preventer however, is a partner. Not to help you get the weights to the starting position (as in my opinion, unless you're *very* advanced and are using nutter-heavy wieghts, if you can't get them there on your own, they're too heavy), but to assist you with the heavy reps specifically to prevent this sort of twisting.

The only times i ever had problems with this exercise was when i didn't have any assistance. On these occasions, you've just got to accept you won't be able to use as much weight, so go for higher reps for variation instead.

Also worth mentioning are Arnold presses. Basically shoulder presses with dumbells, except you start at the bottom with the knuckles of your hands holding the dumbells pointing outwards, and twist your arms through 180 degrees during the lift so they're facing the other way round at the top. And reverse this rotation on the way down. Very effective - worth a go.
Old 13 October 2003, 09:23 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Thaks for the replies chaps. I didn't describe my method properly....I put the dumbells on my knees first, then kind of throw them up to a start position. Normally this is fine but i was pyramiding up for a change as well.
I cant barbell press as I've lost a bit of range in my right shoulder since tearing it a few years ago.

Maybe i was just tired.

Might try swinging them up standing then sit next time....