Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New Watch Required

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2003, 08:07 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I am in the market for a new watch and like the look of the Omega Seamaster range. Searching out some of the old threads there are certainly a few watch aficionados on here so can anyone point me in the direction of a good deal.
Have heard they are cheaper in the Canaries but how much cheaper and a little searching online shows ny choice can be bought £250 cheaper online from the states but what about getting stung forthe duty and vat. Any ideas people?

Les H
Old 07 October 2003, 08:40 PM
yoza
BANNED

Are you going to the Canaries?

If so, yes you can save a few bob, about £250 on each thousand you spend(approx rule of thumb).

If you do purchase a quality watch, make sure you go to the reputable dealers situated in the capitals of the islands.

(someone I know) have bought a few in my time one from Tenerife', and shall we say a few from Lanzorote'. He saved £200 on a Brietling Jupiter Pilot, and £350 on an Omega Seamaster Professional Chrono Titanium. Pay cash, "NO CARDS". Wear the watch, and post the box and papers to yourself. If your stopped youve had the watch for ages, and bought it in England.

You will also find that the selection of models is greater on the islands, you will see models that are not readily available in England.
Old 07 October 2003, 10:31 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Les - I went through the same trauma about a year ago. You can get them from abroad, but Costco do the Seamaster Pro (in steel) for about £900 - I ended up lucky and bought the Seamaster Pro in titanium on Ebay for £920 (under a year old) and yes it is the real thing, (£1550 uk retail).
I would buy from abroad if I could see the thing, but not off the net, the ones from the US (proper) US web sites are genuine, but if you get stung for tax, import duty etc. then its not worth it.
As I say, I got lucky on Ebay, and I fully checked the thing out.
I would say go for Costco, a genuine watch is a genuine watch, its not like some jap import Scooby, they're all the same.

p.s my 300m Seamaster recently made it 5m under the sea on my first ever dive wtf is a 300m watch all about
Old 07 October 2003, 10:52 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Yoza, Not thinking about a trip to the Canaries at the moment but if I could save 2 or3 hundred quid then a long weekend with the Mrs might be in order. Cant risk getting one from the States and having to cough the Tax so a trip to costco may be in order. Been looking on ebay and amazed to see that people will pay close to new prices and risk dealing with somebody with low feedback.
Old 08 October 2003, 09:10 AM
JR55
Scooby Regular

Les - It may seem a bit extreme but if you can scrape together the cash for a trip out to Dubai the savings you can get are immense! I purchased a Tag Heuer for £725 got it back here and valued for Insurance rrp is £1250, Nice! If you can go in March they have a "Shopping Festival" where prices are normally 10% less than normal (which is already cheap).
Old 08 October 2003, 09:20 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

I bought a looky-looky watch from a genuine looking beach roaming rolex dealer.
fair play to him, he sold it to me at exactly mid-day.

it was ten minutes later i realised it only had one hand!!!

...and alas he was long gone, with my 1000 potato note.

lol

BB
Old 08 October 2003, 10:29 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

PMSL @ BB