Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

If you want your kids fed well send 'em to Prison not school!

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2003, 07:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Report on Channel 5 News this evening. The average school dinner contains cheap fatty products all chips, potato waffles, etc and costs on average 31p to produce.

The average prison meal has fresh veg and meat and cost 60p per meal.

This is not down to the portion size, it is the quality of the products that go into the meal itself. Yes i am sure that if kids had a choice they would go for the chips etc but why can't there be a decent healthy choice

Shocked and to be honest disgusted that this is the case. I am not saying feed the crims sh*t food but what sort of country feeds it's criminals better that it does it's childeren.
In some cases the school dinner might be the only hot meal some kids get.

Besides if kids grow up on a diet of unhealthy food thinking it os OK to eat it as and when they like then who know what problems it could lead to later, obesity, other health problems eating disorders and the inability to stick to or even recognise a healthy diet. This is a recipie for disaster (no pun intended)

If i could get hold of the idiot(s) who allow this to happen i would knock seven shades out of them - At least if i got locked up i would get a good meal each day!

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 10/6/2003 7:38:48 PM]
Old 07 October 2003, 07:26 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I was hoping for at least one comment!
Old 07 October 2003, 07:52 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Well, you said it all really. Yes it's stupid. And what's more is that school children actually pay for their meals, at least I did when I was at school. I assume it's the same now.

Steve.
Old 07 October 2003, 09:51 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Here you are Paul.

clicky

I think this says it all...

"The children don't ask me what they are having for lunch any more. They ask me what shape they are having. They have learned they can't tell the difference on the basis of texture or taste."
Can't say it bothers me too much, my little precious goes to a private school. With the fees we pay, they should feed the little sod on caviar.
Old 07 October 2003, 05:58 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

This is just sick!!!

Convicted Peados,terrorists,killers Get better looked after than our kids of the future.

When is this country going to sort itself out?Im getting more and more ready to move elsewhere unless the UK ****hole gets better!!!
(guess i better get ready to move now then!!)
Old 07 October 2003, 06:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Hmmmmmmmm!

I wonder if this is down to one word: CHOICE?

If you give kids a choice, they choose junk food: believe me, I have two! If you put healthy choices on the menu, they aren't chosen, go to waste, and waste money. Prices would have to rise again to compensate. Schools meals stopped being a viable option when they stopped family service with no choice!
And they had to do that because kids craved junk food, and went out of school to get it, leaving cooked dinners on the tables. Not enough meals sold = not enough revenue= higher prices.:

How much choice will the guys in prison have, do you think? And if their stuff doesn't suit them, can they nip down the local chippy?

Prisoners may have done the crime, but we are supposed to be civilised..........we HAVE to feed them properly, or we are as bad as they are, aren't we?
Alcazar
Old 07 October 2003, 06:59 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Angry

The reason is that most schools are now fundholders - ie they manage their own budgets. so when it comes to providing the little hooligans with chow, do they go for the organic, healthy, won't give your kid ADHD within five minutes caterers at £2.00 a meal, or the any old sh*te with enough salt, sugar and fat in it to make the kids eat it at £0.70 a meal? Bit of an easy choice, innit? If the kids aren't unhealthy enough after eating that sh*te, the school then makes a bit more money by licencing companies to install coke and mars bar vending machines. this is how we promote the health of the nation...

it's a sad state of affairs.
Old 07 October 2003, 07:07 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

These people are convicted of horrible crimes.They shouldnt have the right to be alive most of them.

They DID what they DID.They had enough sense to think"Hey i'm doing wrong raping and mudering this 90 year old pensioner" but they still carried on and are now doing the time for it.

Children might come from poor families ,its not their fault the mum and dad cant afford to feed them as much as they liked.School meals might be their main meal of the day!!And look at it!!
Its disgusting how children are worse off than these Prisoners.

About time the fat cats with no idea (except to put taxes up!!) left government and let a NORMAL everyday person run it.
Old 07 October 2003, 07:12 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

If the govt. hadn't taken away local authority control over schools (actually that was the tories but never mind) then people could do something about it vai their local council. as it is you can't do much other thn get in touch with the governors. the argument will be that they need the money for other things and catering is "tendered competitively" - another tory brainwave that doesn't work. not that the new lot are attempting to make it any better.
Old 07 October 2003, 07:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Proper Charlie: can't disagree with you, BUT: if schools were given enough money so that they didn't need to make more, it would remove the onus to install Coke/Mars machines.
And if school meals were removed from the education budget, and put onto the social services budget, that might help too. People think schools spend loads of dosh, but a lot of it goes on subsidising meals. No bad thing, but it hides what is REALLY being spent on educating kids[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
I remember a deputy headteacher here saying to a parents meeting: "Do you realise that your kids are eating 2 teachers a year?", and no-one believed him.

Scoobynutter: again, can't disagree, as far as your argument goes, BUT: what about the people who are in prison for UN horrible crimes?? Like refusal to pay a fine? Or motoring offences? Or those who just fall foul of the system?
NO. Sorry, WE have a choice as well. We put them there, so we must feed them. The days of the oubliette are over, we live in civilisation now, even if some prisoners don't:

Alcazar

Old 07 October 2003, 07:20 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

I'm actually impressed that someone can feed someone a 2 course meal admitidly with 1 veg and 1 potato dish for 60pence thing is though this doesn't take into account portion size. A grown man will be fed roughly 8oz of meat plus 4oz of each veg a child would consume half that.
Recently i've be working in the care sector, primarilly nursing homes and resident daily budget varies greatly from company to company £1.74 is the worst i've come across and the best is £4.00 this is for everything the resident would consume in 24 hours (Breakfast, lunch, tea afternoon tea if applicable and any tea's coffee's juices etc)

Si