Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Not sure but I think I've been caught speeding

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2003, 04:15 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was travelling home yesterday down a duel carrigeway. I came over a brow of a hill and noticed in the distance a police car parked in the a laybye. I immediately let my foot off the throttle but didnt brake as I thought he was just parked up. When I got closer to the car the copper was standing by the passenger door pointing what looked like a double lensed camera. Is this a form of gatso and am I going to get a speeding ticket through the post?

Stuart

[Edited by Stuart Taylor - 10/5/2003 6:00:01 PM]
Old 10 May 2003, 06:00 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Marked or otherwise - why would they bother to stop a driver if he's caught speeding on camera?

[Edited by Fatman - 10/5/2003 6:01:15 PM]
Old 10 June 2003, 08:47 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Harvey - it was a car not a van. It IS usual for a car to stop you.
I have a feeling Burr may know these facts though

Hedgehog - most laser devices are NOT linked to videos these days, and traffic officers do not work on quotas so it's not all about making money for your local bobby. Don't mix up Gatso's and camera vans with your average copper. You've no idea.

As has been said already - If it was a traffic car with a laser, they nearly always stop you.

[Edited by medders - 10/6/2003 8:50:51 AM]
Old 05 October 2003, 04:18 PM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

Question

how far was he in the distance? and how many others cars where on the road?
Old 05 October 2003, 04:22 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

He must have been about half a mile in the distance and there were 8-12 cars on the inside lane and about 4 on the outside lane.

Stuart
Old 05 October 2003, 04:32 PM
lush
Scooby Newbie

if it was a small camera its for speeding. other than that it's
for checking your tax disc.
Old 05 October 2003, 04:35 PM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

would of thought he would of stopped you if he got you speeding,but av a look on here http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/
Old 05 October 2003, 05:16 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

There is a fair chance that you've been done. Remember, it's all about making money and points mean prizes for your local bobby. It takes somewhat less than a second to get a reading from you so chances are he did everyone around you who was exceeding the limit.

Most of their laser devices are now linked to a video recorder and the "evidence" will be in the form of a video with your speed information recorded on it. Just to discourage you from fighting the case you are not entitled to see this video or the photographs produced from it until 7 days before any court appearance, though some police areas are more open with their material than others.

However, the folks going down the unsigned forms route are still having considerable success at avoiding conviction, despite a lot of bluff and bluster from their local police. So, that might be a route worth thinking about. You can subscribe to the unsigned forms mailing list from here:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/unsigned.html

As far as I am aware no one on the list has ever been taken to court, their cases have all been dropped at the pre-trial review. Even if you are not going down the unsigned route there is a LOT of worthwhile information concerning your rights available on this list so it's well worth signing up to.

Idris Francis is also taking the government to the European Court of Human Rights on the issue of the NIP forms and this approach is being supported by the Association of British Drivers. You can check this out here:

http://www.abd.org.uk

The ABD also have a range of mailing lists where members gather to "fight them on the beaches." and they may be worth a subscription.

I do hope you haven't been caught but in view of how keen they are to remove your money from your wallet and place it in their coffers I would say there is a pretty high probability of an NIP popping through your front door within the next few weeks.

OH, one other thing. If the NIP does drop through the door DON'T OPEN IT until you consult with the folks on the unsigned forms list. If you can get an "agent" (i.e. mate, gf etc.) to open it and fill in the details without signing and without discussing it with you then you are probably right off the hook. This case law depends on the recent Dwight Yorke case where his "agent" filled in his form but didn't sign it. Dwight walked out of court despite their very best efforts to set him up as and "example."

Either way, they might have gathered some evidence that a car like yours, with the same number plate as yours might have been exceeding the speed limit. However, that in no way connects the crime to you and unless there is a mug shot of you on the video or you sign the NIP to say it was you then they have no actual evidence that it was you. The car can't commit the crime so they need you to implicate yourself. If you don't do it then you are in the clear.

OH, don't post on here that you were doing it. Edit your post to remove any confession as under PACE the fact that you confessed to us would be admissable as evidence in court even if you didn't sign the NIP.
Old 05 October 2003, 05:23 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

If it was a marked car, and he didn't stop you, then I would tend to say that you're clear.
Old 05 October 2003, 05:32 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

Wink

Listen to Hedgehogs words - sound advice
Old 05 October 2003, 06:02 PM
Stuart Taylor
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replys. Very interesting reading.
It was a marked car, hopefully he was just checking tax discs, but I doubt it.
I will just have to sweat it out for the next few weeks and see if anything comes in the post.

Stuart

Old 05 October 2003, 06:21 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Who's saying its a camera? The Pro-laser device has a lens very similar to a camera, but doesn't record anything apart from the speed of the car its targetting.
Old 05 October 2003, 06:39 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Burr: When a van is in use as a mobile unit at varios sights is it not normal NOT to stop the vehicle but just send an NIP. Also, must the NIP be served within 14 days of the offence.???
Old 05 October 2003, 07:35 PM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

As Harvey says, wait anxiously for 2 working weeks then breathe a sigh of relief.
Alternatively, cross yourself and prey to your chosen deity.

Good luck.
Blobster
Old 06 October 2003, 09:41 PM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

here have a look on this page,2nd picture down, on the left

http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/