Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Confused by police

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2003, 10:21 AM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Out for a little drive this morning and get overtaken by police Discovery with the blues flashing away. Was on a dual carriage way with virtually no traffic. As he gets past he pulls in front of me then winds down his window and starts waving his arm to indicate 'slow down'. Fair enough I think and do just that - he keeps doing this for a few hundred yards and I'm now a little confused as to what he's playing at. Next thing he slows right down and pulls into a lay-by. I decide to pull in behind me to see what he wants - BIG mistake.

Pull in behind and then his reversing lights come on. He starts reversing towards me and I think '****' he's gonna hit me. He literally forces me to the back of the lay-by until I'm virtually boxed in!

At which point he gets out and I get out. -

Copper - 'What on earth are you playing at?!'
Me - 'Excuse me?'
Copper - 'Just what are you doing?!'
Me - very confused - ' I thought you wanted me to stop'
Copper - 'Are you so stupid you can't see what I'm doing?' (My telepathic powers obviously hadn't kicked in yet)

At this point he points to a small piece of chipwood with a nail lying on the inside of the inner lane. Promptly picks piece of wood up and chucks it into the hedges.

Me - 'I thought you were pulling me over'.
Copper - 'If I was pulling you over I'd have pulled you over - now get out of here!'

At which point I left being slightly p1ssed off at this prat's attitude.

Was I being dumb or would his conduct have confused most people?
Old 28 September 2003, 10:24 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

He's a copper. Went through the attitude training course while at police college. They all do it. Turns them into arrogant,pig headed idiots.

Chip.
Old 28 September 2003, 10:29 AM
Coulster
Scooby Regular

think most people would have done exactly the same mate.
The attitude of these guys is very unproffesional, i mean wtf, what way are you suppost to interprate the hand signals? It would have been all one if he did want to stop you and you just carried on, that would have amused him - "why didnt you stop when I indicated" imho most of them are above their station, the guy could have just explained what he was doing and said just carry on your way. no need for the attitude.
Complain about it mate. might not get any reply but at least you will be registering a complaint.
Old 28 September 2003, 10:32 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Typical Discovery driver me thinks

Copper - 'Are you so stupid you can't see what I'm doing?'
Nope we not as cleaver as you because you a copper in a Disco with a brain lapse [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I would have got his bagde number and reported him For being a Prat

Huxley

Old 28 September 2003, 11:39 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Make a complaint. Let's face it, they are putting a camera up on every road to watch us so it's about time they got the message that they've lost our confidence and now we are watching them.

If you can report the date, place and time that is usually sufficient information for a complaint, you don't necessarily need badge numbers etc.

I believe you can even fill in the form on-line so it should only take 10 minutes of your time.

http://www.pca.gov.uk/complain/index.htm

It is a bit of a joke, of course, in that it's the local police who decide if you have any grounds for complaint. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not worthwhile. As you will be aware "the system" is slow to react and protects it's own, but things do eventually happen.

I guess that you take the line that the actions were not only rude but dangerous and ambigious and also that the police vehicle reversed without, it seems, being aware you were behind it.
Old 28 September 2003, 11:53 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

He's a copper. Went through the attitude training course while at police college. They all do it. Turns them into arrogant,pig headed idiots.
So you've met every copper and vouch for that statement?

I have 3 friends who are police officers and all 3 are top, unassuming blokes who haven't changed one bit since joining the force.

I am waiting for my date to join the police after passing selection and don't intend on becoming any more arrogant, pigheaded or idiotic than I may be at present.

Sweeping statements about a profession with 1000s of members are hardly intelligent.

The police force does have its fair share of w@nkers, I'm sure. But probably no more % wise than any other job.

[Edited by fatherpierre - 9/28/2003 11:55:39 AM]
Old 28 September 2003, 12:07 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Fully agree with you fatherpierre.... tbh it's getting extremely tedious reading all these threads about what people think of the police
Old 28 September 2003, 12:17 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

To save anyone else posting on this thread let me give you a summary of how it will go.

Initial complaint about police's attitude and behavior

Agreement that they were out of order

Further comment that they're all like this, they're useless, all arrogant etc. etc.

Agreement that they were out of order, but they're not all like that (must just be unlucky then eh?)

Comments from people with friends in the police

Comments from people waiting to join the police

Comments from police officers on the board saying why he acted like that, giving examples of similar incidents where masses of people had been hurt due to a piece of wood lying in the road and saying the police have a jolly hard time of it and there's nothing wrong with them it's the judicial system (even though the thread was nothing about this in the first place).

Thread will eventually split into two camps saying police are great and the rest of us who are fed up with them persecuting the motorist and doing little else. Of course by tis time the thread is completely off topic.

Thread eventually peters out 'cos the next police thread has started.

There you are - no need for any more posts

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 28 September 2003, 12:24 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

Fully agree with you fatherpierre.... tbh it's getting extremely tedious reading all these threads about what people think of the police
when i was at school we always were told to behave when outside school wearing the school uniform as each students behaviour reflects on the school. so yes, when one police officer has a bad attitude it can and will reflect badly on his or her colleagues.

i guess your best tactic is to complain as there is no need for this sort of attitude. it will benefit both the general public and other police officers alike.

harsh but true. (now where is CC these days?)

steven
Old 28 September 2003, 12:35 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Lol @ tiggers. True, True.
Old 28 September 2003, 12:53 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

It's as fatherpierre says "Sweeping statements about a profession with 1000s of members are hardly intelligent.
The police force does have its fair share of w@nkers, I'm sure. But probably no more % wise than any other job
so if you're basing your opinions on the w@nkers in any profession, then you must do for all professions too...... all IT/all Builders/all Doctors/all Solicitors/ all Dealers etc etc.

Britain is a nation of moaners.... very quick to moan, but very slow to praise!!
Old 28 September 2003, 12:55 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

***** aren't they
Old 28 September 2003, 02:01 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lol

Some people need to read the Highway Code me thinks
Old 28 September 2003, 02:44 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

The Network dude at college is a tosser. I hate all IT pros, ****, power crazed ****s the lot of them, just because they have a computer and more rights on the network, ****ers, they get in IT Pro training school, "How to be a ****er lesson 1", ******s.
Old 28 September 2003, 03:14 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Red face

Some people need to read the Highway Code me thinks
Well, I guess that is my home work assignement set for this week.

Quite frankly, I couldn't figure out what he was doing hence pulling over. It would have been quite simple for him to 'nothing to do with you'; instead he chose to be incredibly rude and drive (the reverse) in a dangerous and bullying manner.

Old 28 September 2003, 03:20 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

maybe you should've had a 'Muppet on board' sticker
Old 28 September 2003, 03:28 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Nah - think it was more applicable to him in hindsight.
Old 28 September 2003, 04:07 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Wink

next time I get stopped I'm gonna make a point of reading the guy's badge and then shout "got your number" and jog away
Old 28 September 2003, 04:19 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

PMSL @ Bob.T
Old 28 September 2003, 04:27 PM
jhdee
Scooby Regular

Britain is a nation of moaners.... very quick to moan, but very slow to praise!!
Sweeping generalisation ??? Not really true either - take a trip across the Atlantic if you really want to see people complain/moan about poor service.

Maybe the tedium would be reduced if the moaners gave up ??
Maybe the tedium would be reduced if the police improved the public service we all pay for?? I know where I'd put my vote.

jhdee
Old 28 September 2003, 08:12 PM
Luke
BANNED

No plod have the right to talk to anyone in that manner. they are wearing the queens uniform and are officers of the law.

A wpc jumped out in front of my car last week.... she must have been 2 foot 3inches tall... maybe a few years out of school... |Started mouthing off about why |I nearly hit her..... Listened to her. and said well with that attitude let me reverse and try again......

No plod will ever speak out of term to me. I wont allow it. They have ajob to do for sure but they will do it in a polite manner.
Old 28 September 2003, 10:13 PM
calgonis
Scooby Regular

Happend to me a many years ago...

It was during some pretty heavy flooding in my area, I was making my way down the back roads, when I saw a poice sign for heavy flooding (or similar) down the back road I travelled, I saw a car stuck in the middle of it.
I did the usual in this situation I put the car in 1st and traveled through the water at high rpm, then upon exiting the water I pulled over to see if I could lend a hand to the stuck motorist.
Not 30secs later a poice car comes through the water and presents me with the statement "Are you a F'ing idiot or something?"
Me "What?"
Cop "Didnt you see the bloody sign? Now we have another car stuck here"
Me (getting angry) "Yes I did, and im not STUCK! after exiting the water I stopped to see if I could lend a hand to the stricken motorist"
He just looks angrily at me and then accelerates off.

Dont get me wrong I have met many nice officers, and the majority have been great... but damn there are some bad ones out there

Andrew