Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Near Death Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2003, 09:25 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering how many people have thought there days are numbered.

A cxouple of years ago I was kneeboarding and for some reason a let go of the rope to late and was heading straight for a pontoon, out of sheer panic I just closed my eyes and leant back. Luckly when I leant back this raised the front of the board quite away out of the water and the board mounted the pontoon and took off. I landed a couple of meters along the pontoon perfectly straight. But for that fraction of a second when I released that I was coming to the pontoon at a considerable speed I really believed I would be dead if not seriously injured (or did I realise this afterwoulds)

And nope there is no real point to this thread I just had a flashback and decided to share it.
Old 24 September 2003, 09:27 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Angry

Like the drunk that hit me at over 100mph head on,OUCH!!!!!!!!!
Old 24 September 2003, 09:30 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Others for you Ian...
Old 24 September 2003, 09:31 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 25 September 2003, 12:08 AM
chopper
Scooby Regular

70mph impact whilst waiting to cross a major motorway in Oz... they have stop signs , not slip roads you know! Dozy Oz Van driver swerved into me whilst I was not moving.

My written off scooby says it all - I walked away with an acromio-clavicular dislocation grade 3. Lucky, or just bought a decent car? Worst bit was being airlifted in a chopper by the guys I had been piloting helis out of the same airport for 14 months!

He hit me so hard he imprinted Toyota from his front badge in my right front wing! It hurt by the way...so I came back the UK and bought a P1! Weyhey!

Sorry about the duff pic link - will fix it soon... http://adimitchell.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/wrx1.jpg

[Edited by chopper - 9/25/2003 12:26:10 AM]
Old 25 September 2003, 07:29 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

1. Being forced onto a grass verge by two Artic lorry cabs racing down a country road at about 10pm [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] did i hit the brandy that night or what!!!

2. Running through a plate-glass patio door (when I was 8) - severing one of arteries in my groin (ther are only 2, and the other one's the major one ), dying 4 times on the operating table, having over IIRC 150 stiches in that "area", and having a tube up my manhood
Oh, and then the 6 months in hospital and re-learning to walk.

All I've got to show for it now is a muvva of a scar and a trauma-related stammer [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

You could say I've always had a unique perspective on life But everything works - I've got 2 kids!!!

Dan
Old 25 September 2003, 09:05 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Bloody hell, Dan -- serious stuff that!
Old 25 September 2003, 11:48 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

My little story is not car related, but horse power was involved
I was once on a hack and the horse was spooked and took off at full chat heading for what I knew was a 50ft cliff.
Luckily there was a 6 ft ditch the 3 ft of ground just before the edge, which made the horse slow to jump the ditch.
It landed on the 3 ft of ground that was left, then turned 90 right in one stide, throwing yours trully over the edge head first.
All I remember is seeing thin air and thinking "I'm dead".
The only thing that saved me was not letting go of the reins !
They yanked me back at the last moment and as I let go I found myself sat upright on the edge of the cliff with my feet dangeling over the edge.
Horse ended up 1/2 a mile away and took some catching (especially with my pant sistuation )and my hand hurt for a week, after I planted a mother of a punch between its eyes, but other than that not a mark on me !
Soon learnt how to stop a runaway horse after that !
Old 25 September 2003, 01:49 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Wink

YOU PUNCHED THE HORSE....
LOL fantastic response to the situation
You brightened up my Thursday!
Thanks
Old 25 September 2003, 01:53 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Chopper - how much for the bonnet scoop - at least you're ok!
Old 25 September 2003, 02:35 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Looked down the barrel of a gun pointed at me for real a few times, sorts you out I can tell you. Been under direct fire about half a dozen times. Only go shot the once and that was from behind and it only did some damage to my flesh down my right hand love handle area and clipped my hip joint.
Got severely thrown around the inside of a Herc doing a 'dirty dive'. Dropped about 300 feet straight nose down with me not strapped in correctly bounced off all walls ceiling and floor. Got away with a broken arm and some very serious bruising, biggest bruise was to my ego though.
Walked away without a scratch from a completely totalled Volvo 440 once. Got sideswipped by a 40ft wagon and thrown into the central reservation and out again. I was the passenger, driver got a shattered right pelvis and multiple fractures to his right arm and skull. Funny how it seemed to happen in very slow motion.
But on each occassion it doesn't hit you till afterwards. In the Army your training hopefully kicks in, and in my case luckily it did. And in the car accident I didn't start sweating till I was in the hossie an hour later being checked over.
Still every day your alive is gravy and you should live it that way.
Old 25 September 2003, 03:36 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Red face

Blinkin' Flip, Dan!

That's why you wear those baggy shorts, eh?
Old 25 September 2003, 03:59 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Regacy glad it cheered you up !
Bloody horse got it own back a few weeks later !
It waited till the reins were wrapped around me wedding pinky before rearing up and dislocating the knuckle (still got a lump after it was relocated).
Nearly broke the 4 fingers of my other hand punching it again !

Old 25 September 2003, 04:04 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Scoobydoo555,
Unless someone had it in for you.

Chip.
Old 25 September 2003, 05:39 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

1984, on leave from my army basic training. Brother takes me up to Darley Moor race circuit for the day on his 750 Honda. Pee'd down all day, crap, boring time. On the Leek to Macc road coming back, downhill and sharp left bend, brother loses it on the slippy road.....slow mo time......kick stand on the left side hits road, knocks us upright, straight over otherside of road, scrape along barrier for a while, at which point I must have left the bike, and managed to wedge myself between the barrier and a sign post.
Broken: Pelvis (2 places), femur, tibia and fibula. In and out of hozzy for 2.5 years after that, fortunatly, as I was military, better than private care.
Pensioned out of the army after 3 years as unfit for service!
Few years later, coming back from a hi-fi show in chesterfield (where REL SUBWOOFERS first displayed I might add!) along the A623 approaching Wardlow Mires here a Sierra was stopped in the road, oncoming, waiting to turn into the petrol station. I slowed down, but didnt flash him to go, he stayed put, until the guy in the 4 wheel drive jeep came round the corner, sightseeing, and plowed into the back of him. That knocked him across the road right into my path!
Crunch

(thats the wife and a mate with the remains of the car!)
The worst of that particular accident was the sierra driver was out with his missus for the weekend in derbyshire, as she had just been diagnosed with cancer.
Injuries sustained in the car: ME:none, REAR SEAT PASSENGER WITH NO SEATBELT ON: none, WIFE IN FRONT: very badly twisted back and off work for about a year with back problems due to the passenger in the back using her as an air bag!
Has affected me, live life as much as possible to the full, within means obviously, but dont hesitate when doing stuff, life really can be too short.
chris.

ps by far the longest post I've done to date!

[Edited by cw42 - 9/25/2003 5:46:28 PM]
Old 25 September 2003, 07:05 PM
yoza
BANNED

I once ate at McDonalds........Bad, really bad!
Old 25 September 2003, 08:21 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think the general point to take away from these experiences is "live life to the full. Life's far too ****** short"

I do, and I've turned out OK.... well... relatively....

Regarding the stammer, I had to larf the one day. Had to call up a certain Subaru dealer that has someone with the same type of afflication as me (but much worse). Mine is very good, but I do have bad days.

This day, I was having a bad day....and I had to call the dealership.

Talk about Arkwright from "Open all hours"...

Between us, it took 20 minutes to say "hello"

Dan