Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

teeth extraction?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2003, 10:39 AM
hoyleyboyley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting a wisdom tooth out tomorrow :0

any advice so i can better prepare myself...
Old 24 September 2003, 10:50 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

By what method??? Have the soup ready!!! if it goes well, you'll have a couple of days discomfort, if its a problem 1, be prepared to look like a hampster!!!

Most of all get the sympathy in

S
Old 24 September 2003, 10:51 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

The dentist had his knee on my chest when i had all four taken out!

Jaw ached for a week.

Fine apart from that

Old 24 September 2003, 10:54 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I would advise you to be prepared for a lot of pain
Actually I had 2 removed a couple of years ago and it didnt hurt at all. Depends whether it is top or bottom - one set has a single root and comes out fairly easily, the other has 2 roots that go out in a V shape so these are harder to remove. Unfortunately I cant remember which one is which!

Steve
Old 24 September 2003, 11:01 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Bottom have split roots. If you have any questions talk to the consultant. I had all 4 out in 1 go, only wanted 1 lot of pain.

Simon
Old 24 September 2003, 11:21 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

HAHA - don't want to scare you, BUT!

I had 2 bottom wisdom teeth out at dental hospital - one at a time, a month apart. Both done under local anesthetic. Both were impacted.

It was a comedy of errors.....

Tooth 1 : Dentist dropped drill on floor after 10 minutes. Took 5 minutes to find another one. 2 tubes in my mouth - one for water in, one for blood out (and it was dark red for 30 minutes!), as well as a mouthful of drills, saws, corkscrews etc. My mouth felt like it was being stretched open beyond where it should stretch to with all that gear in my mouth!

So, dentist cut lots of bone away from jaw, and then inserted the corkscrew device into the tooth to pull it out - oops, the top came off and left the root in. Oh dear, so he had to cut more bone away from jaw to get to the root. The sound of drilling bone from the jaw is nice - NOT :-)

By this time, we were approaching 40 minutes, and dentist asked if I could feel anything as anesthetic obviously only lasted a certain time. By this time, I could feel more and more pain as it WAS wearing off. However, after 45 minutes, it was all over.

Was pretty painful for a day or so, but after that, the "hole" stopped bleeding, and was more or less ok. Jaw was a bit sore where the bone had been cut away, and your face feels twice as big.

Funny thing was, the dentist said "come back next month for the other one, it WON'T be as bad" - it wasn't far off - top came off again, and took more effort to get out than he thought.

I'd still go for a local over a general though even after all the above!

Old 24 September 2003, 11:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

I've only got one left.
Of the ones that I've had out, one was done without me evn really knowing, and the other two were painful later, but nothing that 6 hourly CoProxamol couldn't cope with!

The only prob I had was that one of the lower two went septic, as the dentist left a stitch in place, and my breath started smelling like something died in my mouth
Alcazar
Old 24 September 2003, 11:24 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

PS I got handed HUGE pink pills of Ibuprufen as I left - pretty essential to help with the pain!!!

The stitches I got were soluble so didn't have to go back to get them out.....

[Edited by imlach - 9/24/2003 11:25:43 AM]
Old 24 September 2003, 11:30 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

Watch out for the pliers.....there bloody massive
Old 24 September 2003, 11:30 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

My teeth were in a similar state to Imlach's, but I had all 4 out under a general. Never been in so much pain as when I came round in Recovery, I spewed blood all over the nurse who then gave me a pain relief injection straight into the wound (nice touch). After 3 days the sockets stopped seeping blood, but at 10 days the soluble stiteches disolved. Sadly this was before one of the sockets had properly healed and I bled badly for 8 hours. Unfortunately I was on a ferry between Harwich and Hook of Holland at the time... "Is there a doctor on the boat", etc, etc.
Eventually everything went back to normal, even the nerve damage in my jaw which meant I couldn't feel my chin for 6 months.
Old 24 September 2003, 11:32 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Don't upset any traffic wardens right afterwards...
Old 24 September 2003, 11:32 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My advice to you would be dont try being hard, & take the feekin pain killers !!
Old 24 September 2003, 11:47 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

I still cringe about my single extraction - and it's over a year ago !

The tooth was barbed at the root, so they broke the tooth in four pieces in situ and then took out the parts. At one point, the dentist said 'i've burnt it out', 'the drill bit?' said the nurse - 'no, the drill' said the dentist !!! He'd burnt the motor out !!!

Now I'm as blokey as the next guy, but I almost passed out as I left the hospital...

1 down 3 to go - I'M KEEPING THEM !

All the best.

Matt
Old 24 September 2003, 11:57 AM
hoyleyboyley
Scooby Regular

**** !! :0

only one to come out, lower LH side.

how long *should* it take? been told anything between 15 and 45 minutes...

15 sounds good

hard- no mate, cut me open and load me up with painkillers.

booked tomorrow and friday off work to convalesce(sp?)

someone i know has been having them out in her lunch hour and then going back to work!!! :0 fool!
Old 24 September 2003, 12:00 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ick I'm booked in for an oral surgery consultation on the 21st October at Lister in Stevenage, two top wisdoms will be removed eventually.

Are you given a choice of local or general? I want to be out of it, I seriously don't want to know.
Old 24 September 2003, 12:22 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Had my back teeth out when I was 14 or 15 to make room for my wisdom teeth. That was bad enough!! Good luck to anyone going through it I say!!!
Old 24 September 2003, 12:49 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
The feeling of my jaw repeatedly dislocating and the sound of crunching tooth remains with me even now. No pain afterwards though, 'ard b'stard me.
Old 24 September 2003, 01:23 PM
GU5
Scooby Regular

Had an impacted lower one taken out a few weeks ago as it was giving me some grief.

Looking on the net and found a place that was doing research into pain relief drugs and not only would pull it out for free, but pay me for my time. I thought this might be a bit dodgy, could see them inflicting extra injury so that you'd take the drugs etc, but did it anyway. (Although I had deceided before the tooth was pulled out that no matter how much it hurt I wasn't going to be used as a guinea pig).

Had the tooth out within 15 minutes, done by a professor at a training hospital in London so felt a bit better about it . When it was out and my mouth had come round there really was not a lot of pain. So I stayed the night for observation (don't know what they were observing as I didn't take the drugs ) and left 250 quid and a bag of strong pain killers richer the next day

Also now get 30 quid for anyone I refer, so if anyones got impacted lower wisdom teeth let me know

Gus
Old 24 September 2003, 01:42 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

I have, £250 might make it easier! doesnt hurt at the moment but is growing at about 30 degree angle
Old 24 September 2003, 01:51 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Had ALL mine out in one go - in hospital, absolutely no pain... until I got home and they hurt like **** for days. get some alcohol down your neck when you get home - better than any pain killer IMO
Old 24 September 2003, 03:02 PM
MIRP !
Scooby Regular

Haven't read the full post so if I'm repeating any one sorry.

Had a wisdom tooth out, Jan this year took and long time to get out and stretched the side of my mouth, my check and lips which then scabbed over, nice. so when it's done put moisturiser or Vaseline on you cheek and lips to stop this.

Soup was the best thing to eat but found that using a spoon was a pain so just put it in a pint glass and downed it, Not to hot.
One last thing ICE CREAM and lots of it.

Hope you make a speedy recovery.
Old 24 September 2003, 04:56 PM
Mr Gee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Take loads of Ibuprofen 30 minutes before your due in !!
Old 24 September 2003, 05:45 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

ask for a drug called midazolam, little jab in the hand and your away with the fairies but not asleep.

think its about 50 quid extra
Old 07 October 2003, 10:40 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Got my wisdom teeth out in December. Totally bricking it but general anaesthetic means i miss the gory bits
Old 07 October 2003, 11:09 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

I had 2 out in hospital woke up in recovery and was sick all over this sexy nurse!!

came out of hospital after 2 days and was in severe pain for a week
Every day i could close my jaw a little bit more
bruises over my cheeks and you look like a hampster

You cant even shave
you had better get stocked up on porridge and ice cream as thats all you will be able to eat for a week
sorry you have to go through this
Old 07 October 2003, 11:11 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Red face

Its the puffy cheeks and pain that makes me want to be on my own after its done! If im going to be a hamster , i want to hibernate

I didn't like the way the doctor said "oh they're impacted" and "see how close that nerve is?" when looking at my x-ray
Old 07 October 2003, 11:14 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Smile

At this point I am feeling very lucky. I don't have, and never have had, wisdom teeth. The X-ray I had several years ago shows they just aren't there.
Old 07 October 2003, 11:35 AM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Red face

I didn't know that some people didn't have wisdom teeth?

Lucky Sods!!!!

Old 07 October 2003, 11:47 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

Doesn't taking Ibuprofen or similar beforehand render any anaesthetics ineffective??
Old 07 October 2003, 05:26 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"
Not had any wisdom teeth out but have had a molar out due to a filling coming out and then leaving it for nigh on 5 years until I couldnt bare to eat on that side. Operation took about 45 mins and had the hole filled with an oil of cloves mix and stitches. Everything was fine apart from the buzzing feeling in your head when drilling and the cracking of the tooth finally breaking away. Then they put the oil of cloves in and the taste was absolutley awful. Made me feel so sick as I hate cloves and was constantly having to spit into a bucket as the taste was making me feel worse and worse. Bleeding stopped after about 24 hours but the acheing whent on for a lot longer.

Had an x-ray prior to the op and my wisdon teeth are lying horizontally instead of vertically!?! Was told It was very unlikely they would come through and cause problems.