Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

how soon after your test did you have your first crash ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2003, 04:08 PM
Ridge Racer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a mate of mine lasted three days before he put his car on its roof, i lasted about 9 months before putting an xr2 in a ditch ,
Old 22 September 2003, 04:08 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

been driving 4 years and havent crashed yet (touch wood)
Old 22 September 2003, 04:11 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

4 years
Old 22 September 2003, 04:14 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

It was a M reg Clio 16v with full black leather interior beautiful car absolutely mint, still miss it now 3 years later.
jpmason33
Scooby Regular

I once drove into a wall 3 months after passing my test, then crashed into the back of someone on the way back from getting the car repaired!

LOL
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just under a month I learnt to drive in the summer and got caught out on the winter roads the fact it was a metro didn't help either I had 2 incidents soon after passing and have stayed out of trouble since My mate crashed his capri only 2 days or so after getting it as his first car

Paul
Old 22 September 2003, 04:16 PM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

Nearly three months!!!!

It was a good accident, I remember describing it before and the vague details go......

Forwards into a hedge clipping a tree, flipped round and into the hedge backwards, then straight into a two and a half turn pike landing hard on the grass verge and an approximately 100 yards sliding roof finish.
Old 22 September 2003, 04:23 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

6 months 10 days !

I know this as I can remember saying that I had been past that long that very afternoon at school and bragging to those whom had smashed cars that I hadnt had even the slightest of bumps............proceeded that night to total my old mans Ren 19....and the car I hit.
Not entierly my fault but it happened
Old 22 September 2003, 04:28 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

No fault accident 3 years after - lorry driver hit me.

So far not any that have been my fault (appart from the table tennis table in the garage which I keep reversing into! )
Old 22 September 2003, 04:32 PM
Andy486
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine wrote his Capri off the day after his test. The gear **** came off in his hand halfway round a corner which distracted him enough to drive through a wall.
Old 22 September 2003, 04:36 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Talking

A mate of mine wrote his Capri off the day after his test. The gear **** came off in his hand halfway round a corner which distracted him enough to drive through a wall.
It probably wasn’t at the time but I have to admit that did make me laugh.
Old 22 September 2003, 04:50 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Talking

PMSL at the Capri

no accidents for me in 11 years - touch MDF
Old 22 September 2003, 04:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking

About a month: driving out of Brum, young lass in short skirt bends to pick something up , distracted me,: and into the back of the guy in front.

Ended well though. Turned out he wasn't supposed to be there, so he repaired his car himself, and I paid: £5.

My grandad, a retired blacksmith, straightened the bumper on mine, and you couldn't tell.
Alcazar
Alcazar
Old 22 September 2003, 05:01 PM
Lois
Scooby Regular

been driving 6 years and not crashed yet....

is posting this tempting fate??
Old 22 September 2003, 05:01 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

My 'best' accident was -8 years from passing my test Aged 10 I did over £1000 worth of damage to my dads car (and this was 1979) not to mention the damage to my grandparents house.....

First accident was 4 months after passing my test - aquaplaned on the M4 - certainly learnt a lot from the experience and it DID alter the way I drive. Luckily though accident was witnessed by an off duty police officer who stuck up for me when the on-duty police arrived because a) in his opinion I was at a sensible speed for the conditions especially considering > b) the car I hit had stopped in the fast lane for no reason and turned it lights off (it was dark) Oh yes and again damage was to my dads car
Old 22 September 2003, 06:04 PM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Two weeks.

Ended up in a ditch, squared a wheel on a brick in the ditch, bashed a wing and took the mirror off in a MkII Cavalier, fixed it all up myself though.

Only crash so far since 1990......

Convinced myself the 'cause' was the standard 165 tyres (nothing to do with me driving like a **** ) so put 185's on

[Edited by Mufasa - 9/22/2003 6:04:46 PM]
Old 22 September 2003, 07:25 PM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Talking

2 years.
I was only 19 at the time (young and stupid). Girlfriend goading me to show off my 'skills' to her two mates.
It was late at night, I was tired. Country lane, I was only doing 40 but decided to drive round a bend rather than cutting the Apex.
Big mistake as understeer took my Fiesta Supersport wide, the rear wheel clipped a tree stump and flipped us over a couple of times. Car ended upside down with me and g/f dangling in our seatbelts and the rear two passengers were flung out of rear window as we rolled.
Incredibly everyone was OK.
Taught me a lot about my 'ability' to drive.

14 years later no further accidents.

Blobster
Old 22 September 2003, 08:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No major bumps but many near misses,

lifted of over a hump back bridege (in my MK1 Capri), tractor the other side, went over the grass verge and got away with it, sideways onto Manchester airport cargo centre narrowly missing avgas tanker (could have been messy)

some small bumps but no damage to speak of

Handbrake turn in ice went wrong when the handbrake cable snapped and I gracefully slid into a car, slow motion !

hit a Wythenshawe (8 inch high) curb front on in my Golf GTI mk1, just ripped the chin spolier off, got it checked out the next day and no damage (how ?) tough little cars.

Foot slipped off greasy wet shiny clutch pedal and took the drainpipe of the side of the house, no damage, to the car that is.

Came to a junction in a resedential area of Didsbury (Manchester) and an old lady was crossing and my car was in the way so Ireversed to let her cross, right into a Taxi, the driver thought it highly amusing !

Working for a garage aged 18, two weeks after passing my test, we were buying vans from a construction company in Wales and dragging them back to manchester one a time behind a Diahatsu jeep (50 mph max), did the fourth one of the day (4 round trips from Manchester to Colwyn bay in a day starting at 6 am ending at 9 pm) and got the last one into the compound, ready to trot across the road to get some chips and meet my mates in the pub, daydreaming and knackered and dragged the last van down the side of a BMW. The boss got irate and called me all sorts of names having just worked me for 15 hours for 20 quid (out of which I had bought my lunch, drinks etc and had 8 quid left), then gives me a clout which didnt really hurt but shocked me, I called him a **** etc etc and go to get my stuff from the lock up to leave, Pressure washer was left on and as he came to give me my marching orders, further bollocking, apologise whatever I let him have it with 100 psi of foaming Karcher which knocked him over and must have really hurt cos he got up and give me a right kicking especially since he was just ready to go out (Gold, Leather Kouros etc), I got a few punches in but I came off worse.

Funny thing was he called me in the morning and I kept my job, he was even quite nice to me, until I washed a Sierra with truck wash and took the paint off !
Old 22 September 2003, 08:39 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

shut up Shut up SHUT UP!

Ive just got my GT6 for when i pass!
I dont wanna hear this!
Old 22 September 2003, 08:48 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Talking

My mate crashed only 6 miles after passing his test
What a prat! I think he's had about 3 more since.
He's not the most observant and still day dreams while driving.
Old 22 September 2003, 08:59 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

15 years and counting
Old 22 September 2003, 10:19 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

6 weeks. Totalled my Fiesta Van, understeered off, felled a telegraph pole and cut the phones off in Marton village.

Got away with a bent nose: the Moto Lita steering wheel looked good, but I would have preferred to butt the standard plastic item.

Had plenty since then (mostly rallying related), but never been over. (Yet?). Luckiest was a high speed spin on a narrow road between trees in my old Impreza road car: somehow I scratched all 4 corners of both bumpers and nudged a wing, but missed EVERY tree.
Old 22 September 2003, 11:10 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Managed to roll my Mini (cooper head, twin 1 1/4 SU's, LCB exhaust etc) a couple of months before I passed my test, with my mate sat in the passenger seat. Aquaplaned on a big puddle, hit the bank and over it went . Funny thing was he had a brand new Ford Ralleye Sport jacket on, and in the process of getting out I managed to stand all over it
Old 22 September 2003, 11:15 PM
j.r-xrs
Scooby Regular

I know a guy who is born funnily enough on the same day as me, we both turned 18 last Wednesday, anyhow he spent the Tuesday night exactly 3 months after passing his test in the pub with his mates, who at the end of the night insisted he drive them home. No prizes for guessing what he did on the way back? First accident and conviction in one!
Drove into a parked BMW head on writing both cars off, he spent that night in a prison cell and woke up on his birthday with no licence and a bitch of a hangover!!!

[Edited by j.r-xrs - 9/22/2003 11:19:47 PM]
Old 22 September 2003, 11:35 PM
J4MES
Scooby Regular

I lasted about two and a half years. Rolled the rally car into a ball of snot in Hafren forest on my 4th or 5th event.

That was in April 2000 I think, then freddy fearless here totalled his Dad's car in August 2000. Still kick myself about it now, stupid schoolboy error and I stacked it, but Dad was very understanding.

Luckily no one else involved and no major injuries sustained but it taught me a valuable lesson. I now consider myself a far better driver because of it.

We moan about high insurance premiums for younger drivers but we're all to blame!
Old 22 September 2003, 11:37 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

About 2 hours

Passed test, went home, borrowed car, picked up girlie, m8 and m8's girle. Decided to show off by setting off car alarm and then doing flash stunt by screaming into carpark and handbraking into the space between two bollards at about 60.

(I saw it on TV once ) Managed to get into the carpark, get the handbrake on, get between the bollards and then hit the 11 inch high kerb side on with both passenger side wheels.

Told my Da I got a blowout and was just too inexperienced to save it. He laughed and playfully smacked me on the head with a baseball bat.
Old 23 September 2003, 01:02 AM
owbow
Scooby Regular

killed my 1st car when I was 16... Saab 99, 2 fir trees felled (nice strong car!)
Did my MKII Escy 1300 about 3 weeks after my test Grit Box adverse camber too fast...
Did mum's Metro about 6 months later is the lanes 106 Rallye coming the other way oops sorry...

err... can't remember the rest, snapped a Golf Gti Mk1, put a borrowed Nova through a big hedge (no damage!) but no more write-offs yet...

o.

[Edited by owbow - 9/23/2003 1:03:20 AM]