Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Had the Debt collectors chasing me this week.

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2003, 04:06 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Received a letter week last Sat from debt collection agencysaying I owe NTL £15 from last December. I was a customer of theirs til last Nov when I cancelled due to their crap service.

It has taken me 14 phone calls and over 2 hours on the phone to sort this out. They eventually admitted I didnt owe them anything and have cancelled my so called debt.

Spoke to a manager from NTL today and told him my views and didnt even get an apology.

At first they insisted that I still owed them the money and would hear no different.Luckily when I cancelled I had the names of the ppl I spoke to and Ive got the times and dates of these calls in black and white. I also sent their little call box back via recorded delivery for evidence as I suspected they would **** up.

My advice therefore is to keep records of dates, times, names etc when cancelling something like this or they may send in the debt collectors without even having the decency to tell you that they think you owe them money in the first place.

Chip.
Old 16 September 2003, 04:16 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Could be worse, when they turned at my Moms house ( I'd just been sacked & owed council tax) she invited them in for a feckin cup of tea!!!!
Old 16 September 2003, 04:43 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

they are a joke, had the same thing about 1yr ago. they even sent a debt collector letter with regards to my tv use via them...even though the TV set top box had been collected by them 1 month earlier after i stopped it!!!!!

i told them i was going to inform the police that my set top box had been stolen by an NTL staff member as it was clearly not collected officialy as they where still billing me...that shut the retards up.

joke company staff by chimps.

T
Old 16 September 2003, 04:56 PM
topboss
Scooby Regular

Will that have affected your credit report?

Have heard some right horror stories where NTL are involved.

[Edited by topboss - 9/17/2003 11:43:40 AM]
Old 16 September 2003, 05:21 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

I've heard loads of stories just like yours Chip, about NTL. I wouldn't go any where near the ******* with a barge pole ...............well maybe to hit them with it.

Had some similar stories about AOL never cancelling agreements for standard charges for internet usage. A friend of mine works for himself so had to try and cancel the arrangement using his own phone, he said it cost near £150.00 to get it sorted in the end coz they charge an extortionate rate the number you have to phone

Well done Chip on keeping records, i do the same now!
Old 16 September 2003, 05:50 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

>>i told them i was going to inform the police that my set top box had been stolen by an NTL staff member as it was clearly not collected officialy as they where still billing me.

Ooo, I LIKE that approach...
Old 16 September 2003, 06:48 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I recently had a problem with Tesco chasing me for money I didn't owe, who then passed the account on to debt collectors. Even after I'd sorted things out with Tesco, the debt collectors chased me. I told them I'd sorted it all out and Tesco's agreed I didn't owe anything, they said I should send proof. I told them to speak to their "client" to which they replied "we don't talk to our clients once we've been passed an account" I resorted to "see you in court" where they told me that even if I had proof that the account had been settled, I'd still be liable for their court costs. Yeah, right.
Old 16 September 2003, 10:55 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Yeah Notorious WTF, I had a credit card with MBNA and paid off £1000.00. They said i paid off £150.00.

I had the bank stamp proof and traced the £1000.00 leaving my account to theirs. Didn't make a blind bit of difference and until it was sorted i had to pay interest on top of payments. I'm now nearly £300.00 in credit on the card

B@stards, seems like all one way traffic to me [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 16 September 2003, 11:07 PM
Maddriver
Scooby Regular

Had a problem with a electricity company chasing my employers for money - problem is we'd never even used this electricity company.

First time it happened we got it sorted and even got them to repay money we'd paid in error.

Second time we ended up calling the area rep in on the pretense of being interested in buying electricity. After an earbashing he went away saying he'd sort it.

Didn't hear anything for ages until we suddenly had a solicitors letter. So I told both the Lawyer and Elec company that we'd sue them for harrasement and attempting to obtain money by threats / under false pretenses if they continued. They didn't.
Old 16 September 2003, 11:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had some debt collectors chasing me a few months back. It was for £20 for an unpaid Dentist appointment last year. The stupid ******* had been sending reminders to my old address.

The fact that I've been going to the same dentist since I was at primary school (20yrs ago) and that I haven't lived at the old address for the past 8yrs , it never crossed their minds to fecking check.

My mum & dad, sister and younger brother have all been going along for appointments and they never bothered to ask them what was up

Turned out that some of the staff that have known my family for decades have retired so the youngsters didn't know jack.

It's daft admin screw-ups like that which can ruin a credit rating

Stefan

Old 17 September 2003, 11:10 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Chip - Check you credit record now. It will be recoreded that the debt was passed to debt collectors and you can be about 110% certain that they won't bother their *** correcting it
Old 17 September 2003, 12:11 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

When I cancelled my NTL service a couple of years back, They came and collected the cable modem, but wouldnt take the box. They said a box would be delivered with a return address on it for shipping back. (seemed stupid but plausable). A month went past and then a invoice arrived for £200 for the non returned STB. AFter months of agrow I turned Up at NTL's office in Cambridge with said stb under my arm and wouldnt leave until a manager came down and signed a delivery note and gave me an appology, The receptionist did threaten to call the police at one stage.

Crap serice before during and after, I was hoping they would of gone bust by now. Welcome back SKY and BT.
Old 17 September 2003, 03:20 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Fast Bloke
How can I check it.

Chip.
Old 17 September 2003, 03:34 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

check out experian and equifax websites, they hold credit details about you in respect to companys you have dealings with, Other companies then use this information to build their own credit score.
Old 17 September 2003, 03:50 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

www.experian.co.uk
www.equifax.co.uk

It'll cost you...... £2.00 each