Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kid's School fees

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2003, 01:45 PM
TimGR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Aaaargh. Gone up again. It's killing me!

Anyone else?
Old 12 September 2003, 02:01 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Send you kids to a normal school

Or do what I do and don't have kids!

Is the rise above inflation?
Old 12 September 2003, 02:03 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Cool

I thought parents only sent their kids to private school if they were concerned about their ability?
Old 12 September 2003, 02:09 PM
Mercury
Scooby Regular

Thats a fallacy, IMO private education is far better than whats provided at majority of state schools
Old 12 September 2003, 02:12 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

I would concur with that. When I was 6 my parents were told that I could stay at school A (primary) and twiddle my thumbs, go to school B (comprehensive) and twiddle my thumbs or go to school C (private girls' school) and learn something.

So C it was.
Old 12 September 2003, 02:16 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Ez has been in private nursery (no other option) since 5 months. Now she's started @ private school & its cheaper than the nursery!!

We've also prepaid 3 yrs fees and saved 20% on the gross cost + are inflation-proofed against anual rises of 5% ish, so we've prob saved 25%

Find me stocks & shares that will guarantee that return in 3 years, let alone just ISAs & bank interest. No-brainer
Old 12 September 2003, 02:17 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wish I could have had the opportunity to go to a Private Girls School

TONY
Old 12 September 2003, 02:20 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Cool

LOL..
Old 12 September 2003, 02:28 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

In a couple years we'll have to decide between moving home and leaving the neighborhood we really like because the local secondary school gets such awful results, or sending the kids to a private school. There's no denying the fact that a kid in a class full of other children with zero ambition will under-achieve.
Bugger
Chucky
Old 12 September 2003, 02:29 PM
TimGR
Scooby Regular

Quote by Mice_Elf:

I would concur with that. When I was 6 my parents were told that I could stay at school A (primary) and twiddle my thumbs, go to school B (comprehensive) and twiddle my thumbs or go to school C (private girls' school) and learn something.

So C it was.

Unquote

Why not take option B, you would have been unique - the only 6 year old at Comprehensive School!

I went to Comprehensive so I have no problems with the state system. It's just that where we live none of the kids speak English, so I really have no choice in the matter!

Old 12 September 2003, 02:34 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tim

Where do you live? Bradistan?

TONY
Old 12 September 2003, 02:43 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm not going to comment on individual circumstances but: how many peeps reading this post went to their local comp for their O and A levels, but are now sending their kids private?

Not me, by the way -- you should see the state of the kids at the local private school
Old 12 September 2003, 02:47 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

What a load of tosh - parents send their kids to private school for a number of reasons IMO:

1) One upmanship
2) To make themselves feel godd for being seen to be doing the best for little Johnny
3) Cos they went to private school and don't believe a state school and deliver for their little one (often right, see the next point....)
4) 'cos they know little Johnny may not be the brightest and therefore he'll learn a lot more having his lessons rogered into him!

Surely kids will have a more rounded upbringing going to a state school?

If your local state school is really soooo bad (and I acknowledge there are bad examples of both state and private schools), if you can afford private education IMO you'd be better investing in a house in a better area instead.

Gordo
(sits back to watch the fun )
Old 12 September 2003, 02:50 PM
Dastardly
Scooby Regular

Wish I could have had the opportunity to go to a Private Girls School
I echo those thoughts. Bushes were always prickly nearby.
Old 12 September 2003, 02:50 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

LOL.

Who's going to be the first person to mention the dreaded "j" word?

And who's going to be the first to vigourously deny that they are?

Old 12 September 2003, 02:52 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Why not take option B, you would have been unique - the only 6 year old at Comprehensive School!
Uh...because I wouldn't have been....? This particular comprehensive took in children from the age of 7... So I would have been one among many...
Old 12 September 2003, 02:53 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Talking

J....

=tries to think of applicable J words=

Jaundiced?
Juvenile?
Justice?
Judge?
Juror?

??
Old 12 September 2003, 02:55 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Wink

None of those Mice. I'll let you know when it appears. Won't be long i'm sure...!
Old 12 September 2003, 02:58 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

[Superhero mode]
.....Justice for all!
[/Superhero mode]

Old 12 September 2003, 03:00 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Note to self - learn to read before posting!

Old 12 September 2003, 03:01 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I went to the local state school, in Mansfield, inthe east midlands. I got 10 o levels and 4 a levels and went to the university I wanted. So I have no problem with the idea of state schools. But there are certainly 'good' ones and 'bad' ones.
The 2 local state secondary schools near home just do not perform well. Many of the children go there with their parents low expectations and aspirations and then fulfill them and go on in life to work the docks or become sales assistants at Top Shop.
Why do you think houses in a 'good' schools catchment area are soo expensive compared to those outside the catchment area?
I know my kids are bright, and I'll do my damndest to allow them to achieve the most they possibly can, if I were to handicap them by sending them to a school I *know* underperforms the national average I'd feel incredibly guilty...because I can afford to give them advantages.
Chuckles
Old 12 September 2003, 03:01 PM
Scooby Regular

If I had some glue to hold this group together, it might gell us.
Old 12 September 2003, 03:03 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

lol @ 289 'J'
Old 12 September 2003, 03:42 PM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

I too did well in the local comp.. but that was 20 years ago. Now the same school is pumping out morons by their own admission.. Just need to look at their league tables. Standards have been grossly eroded in the public sector and the only answer is to lower the bar..

If you are in any doubt about receiving a better education in the private sector go along on an open day or just make an appointment to look around. We did and were so impressed 5 year old kids learning exel on a computer of their own.. respectful and obedient children... I would sell my sole to get my kid into that environment...
Old 12 September 2003, 04:22 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

What a load of tosh - parents send their kids to private school for a number of reasons IMO:

1) One upmanship
2) To make themselves feel godd for being seen to be doing the best for little Johnny
3) Cos they went to private school and don't believe a state school and deliver for their little one (often right, see the next point....)
4) 'cos they know little Johnny may not be the brightest and therefore he'll learn a lot more having his lessons rogered into him!

Surely kids will have a more rounded upbringing going to a state school?
How can you perceive it that way? Points 1 & 2 statements are total rubbish as is Point 4....you will find more parents strive to get 'bright' children into private education because they will not be held back as many are when they attend state schools.
Old 12 September 2003, 04:29 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Wink

haha, hit a nerve, have I Redkop?

and, as for......

"I know my kids are bright, and I'll do my damndest to allow them to achieve the most they possibly can, if I were to handicap them by sending them to a school I *know* underperforms the national average I'd feel incredibly guilty...because I can afford to give them advantages."

this is quality - I've yet to meet a parent who believes little Timmy is thick as fek and a good result would be a job for him as the local Stop Go man. Surely if your kids are as bright as you say then the school to which you send is irrelevant? The local school will continue to underperform the national average if only thick kids go there - this is not necessarily a symptom of poor teaching standards within the school or that your 'bright' child will underperform by going there.

However, if little Timmy is average, then it wouldn't do any harm to boost his chances by sending him to private school, would it now ?

I wonder how many people who send there kids to private school are also keen on paying tax for public education and are against PFI projects?

Old 12 September 2003, 04:38 PM
Scooby Regular

Everyone has a choice on how they spend their money. Some spend it on huge quantities of add-ons for their car, others have fantastic holidays. Still others spend money on health care or education. I'd be amazed if many of them do it just to show off, as private schools are not cheap by any means.

Not really right to criticise people for the way THEY spend THEIR cash, is it?
Old 12 September 2003, 04:48 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Gordo, PLEASE do not mention the "j" word.

We'll all just sleep tight tonight with the knowledge that if you had all the money in the world, you still wouldn't provide your kids with the best possible education available. Very honourable. Tony Blair will be relying on you in a couple of years' time.
Old 12 September 2003, 04:52 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

If you've got the money to send your children to private school, fine, its a good investment (in their future). But i don't have any sympathy when people moan if the fees go up as no one forces you to send them there!
Old 12 September 2003, 04:56 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Fair point 69, although for some people, the non-private alternative is a massive step down, which is a sad indictment of the state of education in this country, sadly.

Quick Reply: Kid's School fees