Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

REDUNDANT

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2003, 09:14 AM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

Unfortunately as of this morning I have been made redundant from my current position due to the ongoing decline of the IT market.

As some of you know, I am in the process of joining Hampshire Police Force so this will give me more time to concentrate on this.

Please change the contact details that you have for me and direct any mail you have to jasondrumm@yahoo.co.uk
Old 12 September 2003, 09:21 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Good luck with your new career. I pity the poor Max Factor boys in Hampshire though!
Old 12 September 2003, 09:27 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

What are the physical tests for joining our boys in blue?

Stefan
Old 12 September 2003, 09:27 AM
Reib
Scooby Regular

Good luck mate. I am also being made redundant in January from my current IT job (also based in Hampshire).

Still, as you with the police force, I plan to join the Royal Marines when I leave anyways, so maybe this is for the good (it'll make me get off my butt and join them at that date!)

Good luck in the Police Force mate, my mate joined it and loves it.
Old 12 September 2003, 09:32 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the new career. Redundancy sucks, I should know, I'm sat at home bored as ****.
Old 12 September 2003, 09:34 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

but

good luck with the police
Old 12 September 2003, 09:37 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Do the rozzers™ still play up at Netley?
you`ll have to join our Hants meet then Badge, tis a smashing area
good luck
Old 12 September 2003, 10:11 AM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.............

Ozzy.mail me per profile address and I'll let you know. It's a piece of p1ss mate.

Old 12 September 2003, 10:15 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Good luck Badger! I'm waiting to find out if i'm going to be made redundant at the mo Life is sh*t BUT at least you are focussed on soemthing else
Old 12 September 2003, 10:17 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

Judging by the recent prog. on local TV re. the training college (Tullyallan) I dont think it will be that tricky Stefan.
Looked a bit holiday camp-ish to me All these training facilities are going the wrong way with this knowing your rights, bullying, not getting bolloxed and being made to stand on parade for hours on end
Old 12 September 2003, 10:37 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good luck J. I'll be staying this side of the Hants border from now on

Think of all the fun you'll have posting on here about the 120 mph on private drive threads occifer. How fast was that in that Skyline you mentioned a while back he he.... D
Old 12 September 2003, 10:37 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Jase,
Good luck mate, and remember, give me a shout if you need anything!!!

PS: Don't nick me for speeding, a stern telling off will do!!
- my license cant take no more!!!!!

regards

Dazza
Old 12 September 2003, 11:24 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I combined plod and IT, quite good really , the moneys not great by IT standards but not bad compared to Police, plus the added benefit of not getting gobbed at (well most of the time).

Good luck with it !
Old 12 September 2003, 11:35 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck Jason.
Old 12 September 2003, 12:19 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Thanks again guys.

At home now and ******* bored already.

Gonna go and paint the shed in a minute for something to do.

Old 12 September 2003, 12:28 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just remember NOT to pull any scoobies over (unless their nicked)cos we might be in um.
good luck,

"may the FORCE be with you"
Old 12 September 2003, 12:30 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

What are the physical tests for joining our boys in blue?
See the link below for full details:-

http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/defa...=article&ID=26

Jason,

Similar position to what happened to me, all the best!

Ian
Old 12 September 2003, 02:40 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Do the rozzers™ still play up at Netley
I installed two 500 kva standby generators at a big police training place in Netley - or just outside -

badger - if thats where you go for training, you can be safe in the knowledge the lights will never go out

useless info as usual
Old 12 September 2003, 03:48 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I'm not planning on joining myself, but I heard my Royal Marine PTI did the Police fitness selection for charity. Easy?

Yes, but he tried it as many times as he could back-to-back (i.e. no rest) and managed it 24 times.

I'm sure it was the Police, but it might have been the Fire Brigade. Defo one of the emergency services though.

Stefan
Old 12 September 2003, 03:58 PM
DAC
Scooby Regular

the Royal Marine training camp is no holiday camp - believe me.

Reib - don't how old you are - but max age is 27 for commando training.

money not great - but great career for (single) bloke (don't get too involved with a woman - the twqo don't mix)
Old 12 September 2003, 04:00 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Plenty of spare time to get her used to that harness then...

Old 12 September 2003, 04:17 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you're older than 27, join the RMR. I know blokes who've passed out at 34+

Obviously the younger the better as you're generally fitter and less prone to injuries, but there's no reason anyone fit enough and determined can't pass the Commando course.

Piece of pi$$

Stefan
Old 12 September 2003, 04:20 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

oh and no-one joins the Marines for the pay. If you do you're in the wrong job. Unless you get a commission of course, then you can earn megabucks.

It's all the gucci toys and runs ashore that everyone joins it for

Stefan
Old 12 September 2003, 05:30 PM
Reib
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I've always wanted to join the Royal Marines ever since I was a kid, but I first got pulled by full time work (as in - money!), but now, I am being made redundant, I am gonna go for them!

I'm 23 by the way. I'm currently in the TA. My PTI used to be a Royal Marine, and he says I have what it takes to pass the PRMC. Thing is, yes I will listen to him about that, but I still am gonna train and train and train.

Fingers crossed, I will get in
Old 12 September 2003, 08:12 PM
Reib
Scooby Regular

Wow! Cheers for the advice mate, I really appreciate it (honestly)

I will take note of all the things you have said there (especially the mental thing and the 'timed' push ups etc).

I got a 'train for the commando course' book here at home and am gonna use that for my training (it trains you to the level of a commando...not just PRMC, so fingers crossed I will pass the PRMC with that book )

Old 12 September 2003, 08:44 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

It's your attitude and sense of humour that'll get your through the course. Even when you're getting beasted, just laugh it off (obviously don't laugh in their faces ). Just get it in your head, that your getting fitter and tougher everytime you get thrashed. Take any beastings as a pi$$ take and just enjoy it. Hard to comprehend when you've spent 45mins crawling face down in mud or just ran a couple of miles carrying a big fecking telegraph pole

Even when you're cold, wet and miserable, if you can still crack a smile and have a joke with your m8's then nothing will stop you getting that green lid. You'll never do it alone, so stick together, encourage each other on and never give up.

Your TA experience will do you good as a lot of the first half of the course is general soldiering (personal admin, living in the field, map reading, night navs, weapon handling, etc.).

I don't know what it's like in Southampton, but make sure your runs involve a lot of hills. You need good endurance and strength in your legs and doing all your running cross country or on the hills will do you the world of good. Doing loads of laps of a running track is IMHO not the best way to train. You can be as fast as a Kenyan on steriods, but you need the legs of Arnie to carry 30+lbs round your hips.

Also make sure you add at least one or two slow, long runs (14-milers+) into your routine. Run at a pace where you can easily hold a conversation. I was surprised at first, but it builds the endurance you'll need into your legs, lungs and heart and you don't feel it until after the run.

Remember the Commando tests are all timed events. They're not super-fast times, so you don't have to be a 4min miler. What you need is the endurance to run at a decent pace, but keep going like the Energiser Bunny

Anyway, I'll stop rambling on now.

Stefan

Old 09 December 2003, 07:49 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well very best of luck m8.

Best advice I can give is do a lot of running. Don't spend hours in the gym, just plenty of time doing military-style circuit training (which I'm sure you're used to by now in the TA).

It's worth checking, but I'm sure that all the basic fitness test (press-ups, pull-ups, etc.) are now done in slow-time to a beat. Gone are the days were you just bang out 65 press-ups as fast as possible. It's down on the beep, then back up on the beep, and so on - same with the sit-ups. The Pull-ups are similar, but it's up and hold, then down on the beep. The pause at the top takes a lot out of you, so practice pull-ups very slowly. They make you do full range movements, so go deep (almost chest to ground) on press-ups and hang on extended arms for the pull-ups.

The regulars is a very different thing altogether and something I've not yet experienced.

There's two obstacles to passing the Commando course. First is the obvious fitness, but the other is the psychological affect the training has on you.

The first part you should have no problems with in the regulars since you'll get thrashed 5 days per week for 8hrs and will get fit very soon. As long as you manage to stay injury free, you'll be fit enough to pass it no problem after 8-9 months.

The second part is the toughest part of the regulars. A year of beastings and getting pulled-up for the simplest thing takes a heck a lot out of you mentally.

In the RMR its the complete opposite. The mental part is pretty easy since you know you'll be home with your family soon (2 weeks is the most you'll be away from home).

The physical side is much tougher since you have to do all your own phyz - even after a full 8hrs of work regardless of whether you've had a **** day or not. It takes a lot of commitment since you still have to pass the exact same 2 week Commando course.

If you can manage plenty of press-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups and spend most of your time running, the PRMC should be a breaze.

Just remember, they'll push you far outside your own comfort zone, so just go *****-out and give 110% and I'm sure you'll pass no probs.

You don't need to be Superman to pass the course, just determined enough not to give up. It's what you've got upstairs that they want to see most.

Best of luck,

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 9/12/2003 7:51:33 PM]