Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Carnival Floats!

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2003, 01:45 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well suppose this is related to this thread, as carnival floats, have wheels and travel on the road!

The problem.

It is our local carnival on Saturday and the drama group I belong to usually has a float. Its usually a flatbed or curtain sider lorry which we decorate and then have people dancing to the tunes and in the costumes from a hit film or stage show. Unlike many groups in the procession we take safety seriously and therefore bar alcohol from being consumed on the lorry, have a safety rope around the lorry, and tie all those who are dancing to the lorry. Our insurance company advise us that our members are covered by our liability policy in case they fall off.

The problem we have had this year is getting hold of a lorry, as potential lenders have advised that they can't get the lorry insured. Our second thoughts for next year were to acquire a farm trailer, and get it towed behind a tractor, but again farmers have raised questions about insurance.

The lorry and tractor owners are worried about a claim should the float itself run over or hit a member of the public.

I would be interested to know the legal position. After all the roads are closed to traffic, although I am not sure what powers under, I doubt that having people dancing on a lorry or sitting on a lorry back is legal in the first place. Presumably the organisation running the carnival must have public liability insurance would that cover floats hitting the public?

Any comments? Some might know the event I am alking about!
Old 12 September 2003, 11:20 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Hmmm no one has any ideas!
Old 12 September 2003, 11:31 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Try EST (Edwin Shirley Transport), they have done lorries and floats for the Notting Hill Carnival in the past. They should know the score.

Dave