Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What can the taxman take?

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2003, 11:53 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

A good pal of mine, Stephen, has got in a mess with HM Inspector. I don't know the full story but basically Stephen had a Ltd company that went under and he owes about 12k in tax and some VAT. He is married and lives in a cottage provided by his wife's employer.
A tax inspector called yesterday and said they would be back to start taking his property away. I don't know the details or if this is contracted out to bailiffs or whatever. But the basic question is what can they take? His wife's belongings? Joint belongings? Do they go to DVLC and see what vehicles are registered in his name etc. Do thay have powers to open a safe and remove contents. Anyone have any experience of this please and any advice. Is there anything Stephen should be planning to reduce this trauma? Thanks guys and gals. David
Old 11 September 2003, 11:59 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Are you sure it was a limited company? In the absence of any personal guarantees by the directors, if a ltd co goes under the directors aren't personally liable for anything (unless negligence or gross misconduct can be proven). That's what the "limited" bit means.
Old 11 September 2003, 12:00 PM
Luke
BANNED

Full signed and dated receipt.

Listing all items belonging to you, sold to a friend. paid for by cheque etc.

The vehicle doccuments actualy state that the registered keeper might not be the owner.

Stick that under their nose and then tell them sorry!!

This could be a great way of making money!!! worked when a mate had the same problem. bailifs looked well miffed. My friend was moving out to Sweden and has "Another" identity running here in uk with good credit scoring etc.

[Edited by Luke - 9/11/2003 12:03:28 PM]

[Edited by Luke - 9/11/2003 12:10:42 PM]
Old 11 September 2003, 12:01 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

We have a limited company , and I thought one of the benefits of being Ltd was that if some some reason it went pear shaped they couldn't touch personal belongings to pay people/companies you owe
Old 11 September 2003, 12:10 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Customs and Excise & the PAYE are usually the first preferential creditors, then the bank. If they signed a personal guarantee eg. for a bank overdraft, then they'd be liable for that.

Old 11 September 2003, 12:26 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - I will print off and show Stephen. I think it is his own personal tax liability which is the problem and his worry is whether thay can take joint possesions especially - even basic items such as the TV and furniture. I think he has a joint (with his wife) BS account - can they get access to that for example? D
Old 11 September 2003, 12:29 PM
Luke
BANNED

Bailifs can only take certain items and these MUST belong to you. If they "Belong" to someone else they cannot be removed.
Old 11 September 2003, 12:34 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

David YHM
Old 11 September 2003, 01:08 PM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

Bailifs can only take certain items and these MUST belong to you. If they "Belong" to someone else they cannot be removed.
That's not what happened on Coronation street last night!

Back on track though! There has been a good thread about this in the past, try searching the archives. There were many good tips on that one, things like (iirc) not opening the door to them as they cannot gain entry by forced means (not at this early stage anyway). The thread will give you more ideas & help
Old 11 September 2003, 01:14 PM
Luke
BANNED

The trick is to get the balifs off your back...

each time they visit they can charge you for it. let them in. Show them that they cannot take anything and that it will remain this way for ever.

if you want to pay the debt later only pay the original ammount set by the court etc. The bailifs will give up.
Old 11 September 2003, 01:32 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

crazy how they'll hound him for 12k debt etc.

then that **** that ran claims direct or whatever and he owes 12 million or something ridiculous like that and he moves to spain, has a mulitmillion pound villa, boat, cars etc and they can't touch him
Old 11 September 2003, 07:21 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Have a read of http://www.debthelpuk.co.uk/law/bailiffs.htm for info on Bailiffs (and the ones in Corrie were completely out of order!).

mb
Old 09 November 2003, 12:08 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

They can take anything owned by the company if it's company tax thats owed (corp tax etc.). If it's personal tax (Tax or NI) thats owed they can take any of your personal possesions.

They obviously cant take other peoples stuff to pay your debt...

Paul

[Edited by medders - 9/11/2003 12:09:24 PM]