Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tail Docking

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2003, 09:36 PM
jgc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Jason Crozier; 06 March 2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09 August 2003, 09:09 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Ok, much as I don't like jack russels, because I've never met one that doesn't have "small dog syndrome" (a bit like "small man syndrome", except with teeth)I'd get in touch with a behaviorist, and quickly.

Jack Russells can be nasty little *****, but thats usually the owners fault.

Do you instill any ranking with him? Ie, do you eat first and generally make him see he is not "top dog" in the pack? Do you start, and end play? or does he do what he wants when he wants?

Docking won't help - and lots of dogs chase their tails as pups.

And docking is not illegal. Yes, the BVA doesn't like it, because its mostly done for show these days and little other reason.

Both my Rotties are docked. They were done by the breeders vet at a couple of days old and, to be honest, will not miss something they never really had. Like Planky, I'm 50/50 on it, as long as its done correctly and not by someone's mate with a stanley knife.

Advantages?

Much cleaner, safer, nothing knocked over.

Disadvantages?

They loose one of the primary methods of communicating with other dogs.

But to get back on topic - get in touch with a behaviorist and get a copy of Jan Fennel's books on dog behavior.

D

[Edited by Diablo - 9/8/2003 9:11:16 AM]
Old 07 September 2003, 06:26 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'especially seeing that at his age the levels of testosterone are 5 times that of an adult dog.'

I reckon he has been on here looking at the bloody body building threads, I am afraid to say it looks like your pup is 'on the gear', espec with the agression thing.

I think tail docking is illegal nowadays, our Cocker Spanial came with it done and being clueless we didnt know.
Old 07 September 2003, 07:09 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tail docking isn't illegal but the government are looking into banning it.

As you said see the vet and ask him about your dog and see if he can put you onto somebody who can help.
Old 07 September 2003, 08:55 PM
DMC12
Scooby Regular

My wife is a vet...

Tail docking in the UK is illegal unless carried out by a vet and even then it is extremely frowned upon by BVA (British Veterinary Association) unless it can be shown it was for a good reason such as being damaged or if it is a working dog and the tail would be in its way or could become damaged carrying out its duties.

Tail docking probably wouldn't solve the problem; the dog would continue to chase his missing tail and would probably cause trauma to the wound in doing so.

Tail chasing is usually a sign of anxiety which could be caused by any number of things such as a new home, children in the house, being left alone, or even something silly like a new carpet.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Old 07 September 2003, 10:09 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Talking

lol @
the dog would continue to chase his missing tail and would probably cause trauma to the wound in doing so.
I now have a mental image of the dog standing on a new carpet and thinking **** this I am going to have a chase of my tail !!
Only to find the tail aint there any more and the dog going plain off its head ! Could have sworn I had a tail yesterday
Old 07 September 2003, 10:55 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Tail docking in the UK is illegal unless undertaken by a Vet.
Yeah but i thought that was common knowledge...

There is many vets who don't have a problem docking and if you look on the web you should find the docking association CDB who are campaigning to keep docking.

Personally i'm 50,50 on docking and certain dogs look better docked but of course looks isn't the whole story thats why docking could/will be banned.

Anyway good luck will your dog.
Old 08 September 2003, 10:01 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate, just read that back and its not meant to read like its your fault - just a general observation about many dog owners with problem dogs and based on personal experience with at leat 6 different jack russells, one of which attacked my Rottie without provication or retaliation and one of which tried to, until I intervened.

Every other one I've ever met has always had aggressive tendancies towards other dogs.

Anyway, moving on, you could be on to something. If it is, then I'd still recommend a behaviorist to address the problem.

D

Old 08 September 2003, 10:06 AM
zax
Scooby Regular

Go for the behaviourist, and leave the tail alone. Better in the long run, what if you removed the tail and he started on his back leg? You'll be left with just a torso in no time...
Old 08 September 2003, 10:29 AM
zax
Scooby Regular

One other thing to consider may be diet. My ridgeback puppy was much more "playful" when he was on the first bag of puppy food we got him. Since he's grown he's moved on to another brand and has calmed down some. And the scars on my arms are healing nicely Maybe try varying what he eats and see if it helps any...