Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gladiator on SmalleyVision(TM) was stunning to put it mildly

[Edited by ChrisB - 9/3/2003 8:37:08 AM]
Old 02 September 2003, 07:25 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Question

So, finally got round to getting myself a half decent amp and dvd (Sony DAVS 550 - impressive bit of kit for the money ) so now thinking about getting a projector.

Questions are does anyone have a projector? can anyone recommend a good one? is there a good source out there for reviews of them? what are the pitfalls of them? (aside from changing the bulbs and buying a screen) how long do the bulbs last?

Seen a few on Ebay for £500+ - seems like they'll do the job.

Any advice appreciated

Neil
Old 02 September 2003, 07:31 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I bought a new HS10 last year and would never go back to a TV for films.

I would avoid ebay ones.
Things to look for are
o dead/stuck pixels
o dull lamps(check the no of hours on the projector)
o The cost of screens
o Cost of bulbs
o Is it 4:3 or native 16:9. Native 16:9 is much better as you won't lose resolution as the screen changes format.
o Resolution
o Warranty
o and the connectivity to it, Component/VGS or DVI are the connection types to go for. Then SVGA, and lastly composite(pants)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...470&forumid=9/

http://www.avforums.com/

These people have a good reputation http://www.nexnix.co.uk/

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 9/2/2003 7:33:23 PM]
Old 02 September 2003, 07:31 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Get one neilT, you wont regret it. I have a 7 foot screen for my sony projector and it really is like being at the cinema, except without the annoying bas**rds sitting around you!
Check out my website in my profile, and look at the HI-FI page, for details of my set-up.
My only regret with my projector is that I didnt get one sooner,
chris.
Old 02 September 2003, 11:39 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Chris,

Now Smalleyvision+(tm) as I've upgraded the Amp to a THX 7:1 system
Old 03 September 2003, 08:56 AM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

Projectors are great.

Do your homework check out what is availabie important features are:

Brightness (lumens) - 1000 is barely adequate during the day unless you live in a cellar.

Fan noise - important if you are sitting right next to it.

WARRANTY!!!! - this is by far the most important feature IMO. Mine went pop and I had to have it fixed. I was just about to have to sue the supplier when they caved in to honour the warranty but I learned a few things which you should look out for! All to do with the bulb.

1. How long is the warranty on the bulb?
2. Does the literature that comes with the projector specify how long the bulb should last? - don't buy one if it does not!
3. Pay close attention to what the sales assistant says about the bulb and ask specific questions about it.
4. If you buy off the internet make sure you print off any sales literature about bulb life at that time. It may have disapeared later.

The thing is,if the bulb goes after say 300 hours when its rated to last 2000 but outside the normal 90 day bulb warranty this will really P**S you off. The shop will say "tough". My solicitor said "but the bulb is rated to last 2000 hours in the paperwork. You are misrepresenting your goods". Shop mutters and fixes project or out of "good will".

The thing is initially they didn't even know what the problem was with the projector but the B******s would not even look at it (despite the unit being under warranty) until I supplied them with a spare bulb first to prove it was not the bulb. I said that supplying them with equimpent for diagnostic purposes was not my responsibility.

These things cost a lot of money so make sure you are well covered.

Despite this irritating incident I think my projector is great. Go get one!!
Old 03 September 2003, 08:59 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

I have one, and they can't be beaten for the full cinema experience. I was surprised just how much detail there is in a DVD which you don't really notice on the small screen. popped it on the ceiling with a pull down screen and its surprising discrete

I have a panasonic PT-AE100 which was great at the time, but has now been superseded by the AE200 and AE300

Also worth looking at is the Sanyo Z1, which has gotten great reviews as a budget projector.

Best upgrade I ever made - and should only cost you around £1200, which is half the price of the chepest plasma screen.
Old 03 September 2003, 04:50 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Talking

ok, thanks for all the info, will start looking at options this weekend

Wheres the best place to buy? - Must be a good online retailer thats cheaper than the high street stores?

Neil
Old 03 September 2003, 05:23 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Is the projector just rigged up to your home-cinema unit, so that it can be used to watch TV and Sky, aswell as dvd's?

Its all bit of a new concept to me. I've just a bought a new place and was thinking about a plasma, but a home cinema projector sounds like a good alternative. Would one be a bit of overkill in a smallish living room (ie, 15'x15')?
Old 03 September 2003, 05:26 PM
elgordano
Scooby Regular

A very nice hi-fi setup there chris (cw42). Makes me want to go out and buy a projector now as well.

Gordo
Old 03 September 2003, 05:43 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

I also have the Panasonic PT Ae 100. It is ceiling mounted and shows on to a roof suspended 6 ft screen. The unit originally cost £1500 and got great reviews then. It is now superceded and I bought mine from Techtronics for £800. It is fabulous. I also link through a Sony DAVS surround system. I have it manifolded to play Sky and Terrestrial TV, Video, DVD and also my PC for internet.
Simple to use.
Old 03 September 2003, 05:56 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

cheers elgordano, get one, you wont regret it.
you dont have to spend a fortune on one. Mine was on offer just over a year ago now, and cost me only £1200 from a list price of over £2000, so shop around and you can pick up a bargain.
I found that for typical uk sized living rooms, these lcd projectors are the bees knees, and there is no need to get a HUGE 3 lens system like you see in the pro set-ups.
I just watched NARC and CITY OF GOD the other night on my system, and you are totally immersed in the film, rather than just watching it.
GET ONE.
Chris.