Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

We ALL work for the govt til June 19th each yr…

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2003, 06:16 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
…well those of us that work and spend and pay taxes and council taxes and tax on our savings and VAT on chocolate biscuits and condoms etc etc

I was told this by a Grant Thornton accountant, and it means that due to Tony Blairs sneaky stealthy taxes, by now, almost half of your working year and yearly salary goes towards supporting the government and the 'services' for the public it manages and provides.

I whinge about taxes a lot I know, but it’s all cos I don’t perceive the return or value from this hefty chunk of MY money and MY life and MY time.

We’d all be better off in Norway where you pay 53% tax but at least you get quality support and services. They don’t worry too much about losing their jobs there and that is a VERY nice feeling not to have…

D
Old 21 August 2003, 06:23 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

almost half of your working year and yearly salary goes towards supporting the government and the 'services' for the public it manages and provides.
Unless you are self employed........

Im glad mr B.liar gets far less of my cash than he would like
Doubt he reads scoobynet- might get a bit of a shock if he did- but kiss my hoop Tony.

[/political/ranting soapbox]
Old 21 August 2003, 07:04 PM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

Its got to be more than half for some hasnt it, 40%tax and then NI on top,
i spend a lot on petrol and beer, i recon he gets a good 70% off me
Old 21 August 2003, 07:11 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

pb - you cant let that happen mate! Get your beer in France, and get a free holiday into the bargain! Dont let them shaft you!

When I was smoking I never bought a pack of **** here in 6 years - not one! That's about £6570 in lost taxes to the 'milk you dry' mob! Fantastic
Old 21 August 2003, 07:12 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

public arent bothered though.

offer 100 people a chance to be more tax effecient and you'll find 2 already are 2 are interested and the other 96 dont care.

T

Old 21 August 2003, 07:26 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Whats v.a.t.?
dave
Old 21 August 2003, 07:49 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

and in poland/norway?? if u lose your job the government pay your full salary for a year!
Old 21 August 2003, 09:24 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Angry

I thought 4th May was national tax day - IE - Everything you earn from Jan 1 until May 4 is tax. The rest is yours to spend on heavily taxed products.

Being self employed I wouldn't know. This years tax and NI bill should be about 10% of income... which is still 10% too much. Haven't been to the doctor for years, got made redundant last year and they gave me £54.00 a week for 6 weeks( after paying about 15k tax the previous year.. and the one before etc etc)

I have fully funded personal pension, comprehensive health care plan for the entire family, insurance for just about every eventuality, will earn too much to get university funding for the kids if they need it blah de blah. So why do I pay tax? Keep TB Liar in the manner to which he has become acustomed :grrr:

I wish you could opt out of tax and its claimed benefits. Hire a security man to look after your house and one to look after your car (as PSNI is all I seem to get for my money), and deal with the rest yourself.
Old 21 August 2003, 09:48 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

fast bloke,

you gonna opt out of street lights as well? tip your own rubbish? fight your own wars?
Old 21 August 2003, 10:06 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

But Tiggs....the amount the average guy could save in tax is not worth the effort of doing it.
Old 22 August 2003, 11:09 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tiggs - our binmen check the rubbish for suitability as domestic waste - anyway - we pay 'rates' to cover street lighting and waste disposal.

I don't have the urge to spend a million quid a second firing missiles at some tanned bloke with a moustache so that I can get my hands on his oil. I really can not see what my tax contribution is used for if you set social security and NHS aside, and the returns on these are dismal, unless you are a professional lazy feker.

Old 22 August 2003, 11:12 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

it feels good to **** the government over when selling dodgy **** too.
Old 23 August 2003, 09:15 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Kick the bogus asylum seekers out and we'd probably only be paying the govt until about March!
Old 23 August 2003, 09:42 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

was in town yesterday and there was an old banger driven up onto the kerb, two cop cars either side and 2 iraqi types in cuffs on the floor!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i dont know
Old 23 August 2003, 09:47 AM
ariel
Scooby Regular

There will be a lot more poor people in retirement as well.
It was the change in the tax rules when Blair/Brown started raiding the pension savings to the tune of £5billion a year that precipitated the closing of final salary pension schemes.
What did the MP's do? Vote themselves a pay rise one year and a huge pension rise the next. Why has council tax gone up so much? That's due to the pension shortfall and reduced grant from central government.
"We need to pay for the hospitals so we've got to put up NI by 2%"(openhandsandtrustmecheeseysmilewhilemynosegrow sbliar)
THe biggest employer in the country is the NHS so what happens there then? NHS trusts run in deficit.
Meanwhile they have plenty of money to prosecute a war that no-one wanted. Another 3 families are grieving this morning.

What slick new idea will they come up with next to slide in a tax increase on the quiet?
Old 23 August 2003, 09:55 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

[whinge on]

The problem is, were British and therefore when "another" tax comes along we just say "oooooooooooooooo kkkkkkkkkkkk"

The only exception was Poll Tax when we threw our rattles out of our pram and they changed the name to Council Tax

WTF was all that about!!!

We have a little whinge, ie here and then forget we are being shafted left, right and centre.

Also, can some explain VAT? Value Added Tax???? WTF is THAT!!!!

We pay it on most things and its even collected for the government by business, talk about easy money!

[/whinge off]
Old 23 August 2003, 11:38 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

people will be poor in retirement because they dont save. the gov raid on pensions is nothing compared to the avarage mans inability to take any finacial responsibility for himself.

inheritance tax is a good example...every one moans about unfair this and unfair that....then leaves a Will they may as well have drawn up on a *** packet.
Old 23 August 2003, 11:54 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Tiggs - its HARD to SAVE after paying all that tax and all the tax on yer BASICS.

I just got up to see my old mum cos she isnt feeling well and I have to contribute about £65 to the government in petrol tax alone...I have a morality issue with many taxes.

We chatted about it before, but I promise you I will bequeath all my assets to, say, a Thai Dog charity before this country's gvt gets any! I dont reward greed in ANYONE!