Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tivo?

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2003, 08:47 PM
Lord Of The Bling...
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone use this? one of my mates swears by it.

it used to be expensive to buy the product and then there was the 200 pound fee for the lifetime subscription,

i saw it a while back on the curry`s / dixons web site, but its just vanished.....

so anyone else use it and where can i buy it from???

aaron.
Old 19 August 2003, 08:53 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i have sky plus......similar to tivo.....could not live without it.

it is like having a pc but no internet! in fact i would rather have a 14 inch tv and sky+ than a 36inch tv and no sky+

Tiggs
Old 19 August 2003, 08:57 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had tivo for about a year now (£99 dixons website + £10 a month) and it really is good. Had loads of preconceptions before I bought it but at that price it was worth a try. Would struggle without it now but hopefully shouldn't have to as toshiba and other companys are releasing tivo 2 using the same program data that it uses to update every night.
Old 19 August 2003, 09:09 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Everyone who has one swears by it - I'd never be without mine. Given that, sadly, you can't buy new ones any more, I haven't even dared take the (tiny) risk of upgrading the HDD, just in case something bad happens and I end up without it.

Tivo pulled out of the UK market last year and as far as I'm aware there's no plans to bring out the Series 2 over here. There may be more information over on the Tivo UK forum at AVSforum

Andy.
Old 19 August 2003, 09:14 PM
j.r-xrs
Scooby Regular

Tivo is a must have!

Very easy to use and as others have said it has changed the way I watch TV. Unfortunately it did not sell well at all over here, due to poor advertising etc. and various manufactures stopped producing it, hence the £99 deal a while back.

Tivo 2 is now available in the US which essentially just had a bigger hard drive, it is possible that we could get it over here but I wouldn't hold my breath!
Old 19 August 2003, 09:31 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Finest 99 quid I ever spent was on my Tivo. Must pull my finger out and get the disc swapped to 2x120gig now they are relatively cheap.

Steve
Old 19 August 2003, 09:40 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Wink

Only reason I mentioned tivo 2 was I read it shortly ago in a digital world mag, and another. Can't remember which but it wasn't the usual guff on tivo 2 that I'd seen before, maybe T3 mag.
Old 19 August 2003, 10:39 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

just get sky + instead.
Old 19 August 2003, 11:10 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Or the Pace Twin (Freeview). OK, not quite Tivo functionallity (yet) but is a hard disk recorder and it gives you all the free digital terrestial channels.

Cheers

Ian
Old 19 August 2003, 11:29 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Tivo 2 is now available in the US which essentially just had a bigger hard drive
My Series 2 also connects to my home LAN so I can view PC stored photos on my TV and play MP3s too, gets it's updates through my DSL via the LAN, and I can program it from the office over the web. It fecking rules
Old 19 August 2003, 11:39 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I've got sky+ & i'd recommend it to anyone.

Might have to have a think about a bigger disk for it though, it's pretty easy to get the standard one quite close to being full.

John.
Old 20 August 2003, 06:20 AM
ariel
Scooby Regular

I've got Tivo X 2. Not Tivo2 but 2 Tivo's and they are great.
It's generally agreed that the software is superior in the Tivo and the hardware superior in Sky+. I agree too after using both.
Academic only as you can only buy Tivo secondhand. Try Ebay?
Old 20 August 2003, 10:03 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

john...if you fill the sky disk its time to get your **** of the sofa not another disk you are clearly watching tooooo much TV!
Old 20 August 2003, 10:38 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm a huge fan of Tivo!

I missed out on a £99 Tivo from Dixons/Currys, but a chat with a friend of mine who works at Sky managed to get me a demo one for £50!!!

I've paid for the lifetime service and although we thought it would make us watch more TV, it's actually let us watch the same amount, but just when we want it.

It was fine for terestrial TV, but we recently 'upgraded' to cable and the Tivo didn't work straight off. A quick call later with the cable box model number, we discovered we needed an additional box to make the Tivo work with the cable box (cost £29.99)

A bit of a pain for a few days waiting for the adapter to turn up, but now it works perfectly!

I thought Thomson pulled out of the Tivo market as they believed there wasn't a future in it, but Tivo had signed up Sony to produce the boxes. Obviously Sony have to go through the R&D, testing and production phases first, hence there not being a Tivo box on the market currently.

Steve, are you going to do the upgrade to twin 120Gb drives yourself? I might be able to persuade you to 'fix' mine as well!!!
Old 20 August 2003, 11:55 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

if you fill the sky disk its time to get your **** of the sofa not another disk you are clearly watching tooooo much TV!
Nah, i'm not watching enough tv, that's why the disk fills up. There's too much to watch on sky. Good job i don't have the movie channels too!

Either that or i'm just recording too much sh!te.

John
Old 21 August 2003, 08:49 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Tivo is bloody fantastic!

Sod the Sky+, Pace recorder and other HDD recorders, which are basically like a normal VCR with one big tape in. Its the software in the Tivo which is the killer.

Season passes are great - you set one up for 'holiday' (for the missus), and it records every episode, even if it moves in the schedules. Then, when it goes off air and comes back next year, it remembers and still records it (which is mucho brownie points if you've forgotten its coming back)

Plus its invaluable for little kids.

I have season passes set up for a bunch of kids shows, set to 'keep one episode only'. This basically sets it to wipe over the old episode when a new one is on. So there is always the latest episode of each program ready to view. (This can be useful to always make sure you have the latest news etc ready to watch)

And thats not mentioning the wonder that is wishlists....record by director/actor/subject
Old 21 August 2003, 08:18 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Andy, yep. I have a mate who's done his already so he's found most of the problematical bits.

I'll let you know when I do mine..

Steve
Old 21 August 2003, 09:02 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

sky plus also does series linking.....and yuo can record one channel while watching/live pausing another! cant do that with TIVO
Old 21 August 2003, 11:22 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

I'm a big fan of Tivo and bought one in preference to Sky+

Look at it over 5 years...

Tivo:

99 quid purchase (as mine was) + 299 lifetime sub = 398 quid period.

Sky+:

299 purchase (or something like that) + 10 per month, for 5 years = 899

If Sky did a 'lifetime' sub, I'd have one (as the software seems OK now, and you can record one channel whilst watching another due to the twin LNB and twin tuner) - but I pay the robbing b's enough already - without paying another 10 quid just to record the stuff that I've already paid to watch. Complete joke....

TivoWEB on the other hand - sat on the other side of the globe and have forgotten to record Top Gear... simple: http://shadestivo.blardyblardy.co.uk (or whatever) and away you go - check the status of Tivo, look what's in the schedules and record programmes. Even change channels and annoy the Mrs - or send her Tivo messages. All from a browser.

Currently, Tivo wins in my book....

Shades

[Edited by MrShades - 8/21/2003 11:24:14 PM]
Old 22 August 2003, 08:59 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

sky plus also does series linking
sometimes, if its feeling like it, and the channel has supplied the information for that program. Also, I don't think its automatic - don't you have to choose to record the next episode? Or can you just leave it to record a whole series on its own?
Old 22 August 2003, 10:27 AM
ariel
Scooby Regular

Yes it just sits in the corner doing it's stuff.
I fire it up and check out what it's got for me.
Wonderful
Old 22 August 2003, 01:43 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Vote for TiVO I think the Season Pass functionality is far superior to the Sky +, and the auto recorded stuff is great too. TiVO has recorded loads of stuff I wouldn't know was on that was worth watching

You can still get 2nd hand TiVOs on Ebay, which is what I'd do if mine broke.....god forbid!!!!

Matt
Old 22 August 2003, 02:40 PM
CarolineA
Scooby Regular

Tivo from a women's perspective...

I love it, as Andy T says we thought it would make us watch more TV, but instead we watch what we want... without adverts!!

I love the pause live TV functionality... before Tivo I used to get a real telling off if I talked through a car programme but now we can pause the programme

It's a fantastic piece of technology... although if you are a Simpson's fan it can go a bit crazy if you have the Sky One channel!!!
Old 22 August 2003, 02:58 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

prob with Tivo is that there is just one input.

with sky + you can record BBC1 while watching ITV...you could then pause ITV while you put the kettle on, effectivly recording two stations at once.

the series link on sky is fine but it doesnt think for you...but my fridge doesnt tell me i might like some pate either....i'll cope
Old 22 August 2003, 06:06 PM
j.r-xrs
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

without adverts
Heaven!

We've just got a time-slip DVD recorder as well, which is similar in the respect that you can pause live TV but it doesn’t touch Tivo in terms recording space and functionality.

Tivo rules.
Old 30 August 2003, 01:22 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

If anyone is looking to upgrade their tivo, Ebuyer.com have 5400rpm 120gb discs for £50+vat. You'll want two

Steve
Old 30 August 2003, 01:28 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Question

Is there anybody gone the upgrade route on here, and how tough is it?
Old 30 August 2003, 04:41 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

It's a good evenings work and you need access to a 'donor' pc to do the imaging of the discs.

Details Here

Steve
Old 30 August 2003, 08:48 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

can Tivo broadcast/p[layback in Dolby digital like Skyplus? I also think the live pause of Sky+ is superb,plus being able to watch a programme from the start when you still recording the end of it

as an all in one digital rec and hard disk,Sky plus is the best bet i think,plus you have one less box to fit under the tele
Old 30 August 2003, 08:56 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

just to stick the nail in the tivo sky pus is about to start a download to let your record two seperate channels at once. so you could record bbc 1, record itv and watch something from sky you already recoreded.

T

Quick Reply: Tivo?