FAO all atkins dieters

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2003, 01:52 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

http://www.altru.org/healthnews/reut...1031200223.htm

well....in all honesty....it had to happen sooner or later.
Old 18 August 2003, 01:58 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

So one person has died on Atkins in 30 years! There is probably one person who dies every 30 days by choking on bread
Old 18 August 2003, 02:02 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

thats very true saxo boy....but in almost all the *numerous* threads theres been about Atkins..the one point everyone on the diet has made, has been that there are no proven long term affect of eating high protein, low carb.

well....now there is.

just thought id bring it to peoples attention who seem to think that this diet is harmless.

it doesnt hurt to see the effects...even if it is only one instance. if it happened once...it can happen again.
Old 18 August 2003, 02:04 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL true, but at least you know that they died from choking on the bread.

The problem with these fad diets is they ain't balanced.

I fail to see why anyone who isn't severely overweight has to even consider these diets. If your a stone or two overweight, just burn off more than you consume - it's simple Arithmetic.

Stefan
Old 18 August 2003, 02:06 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

But ultimately any food can be harmful to anybody. Right now I have a massive bag of dry roasted peanuts in my drawer and I could scoff the whole lot of them without harm (bum might hurt in a few days though!!). That food (peanuts) doesn't harm me in any way. There some people that could be dead in 20 minutes if they even ate a food that had briefly come into contact with those nutts!

A low carb diet probably just highlighted an existing intollerance or problem that the girl had just in the same was that nuts can kill some people.
Old 18 August 2003, 02:10 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Surely no one can tell me that being 5 stone over weight for many years has been less harmful to me than eating much less carbohydrate for a period of weeks, can they? And if they can I won't believe them

I made a start on this today and I'm going to be sure I drink plenty of water and I'm not going to be silly about this - if I feel crap I'll bin it an starve instead
Old 18 August 2003, 02:11 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

spot on that man
Old 18 August 2003, 02:14 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

The point with allergies Kenny is you can be tested for these. Unfortunately no one knows the long term effects with the Atkins diet. I haven't spoken to anyone who as tried this diet for longer than 6mths. Like most fads people get fed up with some strict regime and rap it.

Buzz,

Not doing any exercise for 5 years has done the most damage. By all means give the diet a crack, but I'd strongly recommend you start exercising regularly.

If any of you went to your GP and asked about reducing your weight is anyone seriously going to tell me the GP won't mention exercise at all ?????

Stefan
Old 18 August 2003, 02:20 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

Saxo boy...you are getting very protective about this diet.

we're not having a go at you...its up to you if you want to do this diet and im sure like everyone else who is on it..you have your reasons.

im just pointing out that one person has died most probably from doing this diet, after only 2 weeks....so there is a risk for anyone who is one it. Yes just like any other diet there are risks with atkins.

Just that from some of the posts ive read on the aktins threads...some people on here seem oblivious to the fact that there are risks. so i am just pointing out one.
Old 18 August 2003, 02:28 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Stefan

I play squash three times a week (I'm an ex county standard player) and have a three year old son who keeps me on my feet. I also do the gardening for my great uncle (lives next door) as well as our own gardening etc, so I do get regular excercise.

It's 4 pints a night most nights and teakaway food for tea thats done the damage mate , I'm not blind to the fact.

Like I've posted in the other Atkins thread, this will just be a short term thing for me to kick start me into sorting my life out (if it doesn't kill me of course..)
Old 18 August 2003, 02:34 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

OK, so you don't do enough regular exercise

Good luck,
Stefan
Old 18 August 2003, 02:45 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

so maybe if I played more squash I could still drink loads, eat crap AND lose weight?? hmmmm..

I have kept a steady weight for about 3 years now, so the way I view it cutting down on crap is a start in itself. The rest of this is just further assistance
Old 18 August 2003, 04:37 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

the art of good dieting is not to mix your foods in one meal. For example, dont have steak and chips... have steak and salad or veg but leave out the potatoe. Have a baked potatoe or portion of chips at a different time. Ive read its because the body cannot deal with all the complex ingredients we now eat in one meal. So, dont give anything up - just eat it separately
Old 18 August 2003, 04:41 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

what a joke....heard this on the news- do doctors, who i assume have gone to school, take their brains out when going on TV/radio?

there are people saying "see, told you it was dangerous"

WHAT?????

ask ANY doctor if they think eating low carb for 2 weeks will give you a heart attack. my god...we are such a bunch of sissys.

look at Africa, kids not eating any thing for weeks! dont see them dropping after 2 weeks from heart faliure!

You do not have to be a Doc to understand the basics of Atkins....you have to be J K Rowling to then link those basics to heart faliure after 14 days without another factor!

Tiggs

done atkins twice for a total of 9 months so should be long dead by now! in fact wheres that story? "Berkshire man alive after using Atkins twice- doctors say its a miricle that Mr Tigwell, 29 and handsome, is still alive and slim after using the devil diet on two seperate occasions"

Old 18 August 2003, 04:47 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

blimey...who would have thought a diet...yes a DIET...could cause such a rift in peoples emotions.

all the people on the diet say that this story is a load of rubbish...becuase they are still alive.

people who arent on the diet see this as a possible flip side to the diet.

it is strange. But just because you havent died or had any side effects YET...that doesnt mean that it couldnt happen sometime in the future.

you are out in the sun everyday...probably around people who smoke everyday...but just because you havent got cancer (for example)..it doesnt mean that exposure to sun or smoke couldnt cause you to get cancer does it?????

*this is just an example to prove a point and no offence was intended - if anyone is offended*
Old 18 August 2003, 04:49 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Smile

LOL@Tiggs

Priceless.
Old 18 August 2003, 04:53 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

You can go for about a month without food, but you'll do lasting damage. That makes just as much sense in this discussion as saying my Aunt would be my uncle if she'd *****

I don't think anyone said that you would die from trying Atkins for 2 weeks. That girl obviously had an imbalance in her diet and it could have happened with another type of diet.

My point has always been that it's a fad diet and purely a short-term solution. People lose weight, quit, put the weight back on, then repeat.

Maybe the sissy's are the ones who shun exercise and just want a quick fix If you want a gauranteed solution, eat a healthy balanced diet and put some effort into burning it off.

Stefan
Old 18 August 2003, 10:45 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Saxo boy...you are getting very protective about this diet
Not really, I just don't like when ONE thing happens and suddenly something is written off. It would be like if BWM released a car that could drive itself and never crash and did so for 10 years with millions of example then ONE day ONE car had a major failure a drove off a cliff - the next day, 'BMW = murder', 'BWM recall 10 million cars in safety fears' Its like people that are afraid to fly? Why?? Planes have a much higher safety record than cars!!!! Its just publicity and exposure. So one person died from low-carb. I'm not concerned and I'd only would be if they started dropping like flys! People die from strange ************ accidents but they don't plaster, 'don't w@nk' all over the papers

FWIW, I've been off Atkins for a month or so now. It really helped me to trim up for holiday and was easy to do but now I'm eating lots of protein and carb as I'm trying to gain wait in the form of muscle. The hardest part of atkins was trying to make up reasons why you couldn't have a sugary treat or bread because you know if you tell people you are doing atkins you'll get nothing but abuse and lectures I personally don't engage in arguments with anyone that hasn't read ALL of the book from COVER TO COVER as without doing so you don't have a clue what the diet is all about. The worst people are the ones that say, 'you can't cut out a food group' - how the hell do they know?? Have they done research on that?? Do they know how the body uses food for fuel and in what order? I do! So for that reason I'm off to have a beer as I need some fuel
Old 18 August 2003, 10:47 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah but your breath smells...
Old 18 August 2003, 10:57 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL, I forgot about that side effect - just as well I'm running on sugar then
Old 18 August 2003, 11:27 PM
Maddriver
Scooby Regular

Not doing any exercise for 5 years has done the most damage. By all means give the diet a crack, but I'd strongly recommend you start exercising regularly.
No indeed not, you'd have to be daft to think you can have any form of weight loss plan without exercise. To quote the Atkins book,

If you're not getting regular exercise, you aren't following the Atkins program
Seem to a bit different to the veiw of those who think atkins is a quick fix for people who can't be arsed to exercise.
Old 19 August 2003, 12:02 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but my experience with people on Atkins is they do very little exercise or simply not enough to justify the amount they eat. I'm still to be convinced that you need any fancy diet at all if you exercise enough to burn off excess calories.

In fact I've just invented my own diet regime. You eat 2 bars of chocolate for breakfast, two for lunch and two for dinner. Exercise 6 days per week for an hour each day and you'll lose weight - guaranteed

Most of the responses with Atkins are people looking for a quick and rapid loss in weight and I can honestly see the appeal. Either they don't exercise at all or eat too much. Either put in more effort or cut back on food. You don't need to line the pockets of someone else to be told this perl of wisdom.

I mean just what advantages is the Atkins diet promoting? simply weight loss, a balanced diet, improved well being?

I tell you what, everyone send me £4 to try out my chocolate diet and I'll go and retire on a desert island

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 8/19/2003 12:03:57 AM]
Old 19 August 2003, 01:18 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

the linked to article has some interesting points:

Dr. D. Paul Robinson, a co-author of the paper, said in an interview that while there might be other explanations for the teen's death, including an abnormal heart rhythm, interviews with her parents did not suggest that she had a history of bulimia or diuretic use. Robinson is an assistant professor of child health in the division of adolescent medicine at the University of Missouri, Columbia.
Old 19 August 2003, 07:20 AM
Luke
BANNED

maybe ..other than book sales this diet isnt realy a money earner...???Ie the shops and magazines etc cannot sell you any pills or potions etc...

Doesnt matter if it works or not.... Its sooooooooooooo last year.
Old 19 August 2003, 07:35 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Last i heard, book sales had topped £85m worldwide. Otherwise known as "laughing all the way to the bank"...
Old 19 August 2003, 07:49 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

thats very true saxo boy....but in almost all the *numerous* threads theres been about Atkins..the one point everyone on the diet has made, has been that there are no proven long term affect of eating high protein, low carb.

well....now there is.
But that girl died after 2 weeks, thats not 'long term'
Old 19 August 2003, 08:00 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I actually agree Gary, i think that story has ben sensationalised, and i'm one of Atkins' greatest opposers.

I believe the official health authority warnings in the past week were of far more consequence.
Old 19 August 2003, 08:05 AM
joni
Scooby Regular

......Except they weren't official but put about by a "nutritionist" who it subsequently turns out is in the pay of the Association of British and Irish Millers. Neither official or independant I'd say
vested interest

[Edited by joni - 8/19/2003 8:14:18 AM]
Old 19 August 2003, 08:29 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Cool

...But not what the Medical Research Council would say.

And i reckon they'd have more to lose if it was proved she was "bunged"...
Old 19 August 2003, 09:45 AM
joni
Scooby Regular

What would they have to lose exactly..Tax payer funding? I don't think so. Perhaps they would lose industry clients who pay for research in order to justify or legitimise claims.You can after all conduct research that will "prove" just about anything. Look at the constant shifting of position on the causes and encouragement of breast cancer for instance.

Please show me one piece of genuine research that shows that the Atkins approach is positively harmful to health rather than medical thesis based upon flawed arguments perpetuated over the years.
Atkins isn't new. Go ask your Granny what she did if she needed to lose weight...chances are she cut out or cut down on Bread, spuds and cakes...nothing terribly harmful in that. Add to the list more modern British intake such as pasta and rice and there you have it...what the hell is dangerous or modern or faddy about that?

Quick Reply: FAO all atkins dieters