Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Deurin the woor

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2003, 01:45 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One for the older ones perhaps (or the younger who've done a bit of 1st/2nd world war history)

When you were enlisted to fight, did you get to choose whether you were army/air or sea?

What was the selection process for 'civilians'? Was it case of 10 over here, 10 over there etc. or was there some form of screening to determine if you were a fighter pilot, infantryman etc.?

[Edited by Dracoro - 8/15/2003 1:46:20 PM]
Old 15 August 2003, 03:49 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

I reckon people aren't understanding the title of this thread! It wasn't until I thought of it thus:

[Uncle Albert mode]
Deurin the woor
[/Uncle Albert mode]

that I got it and popped in.

Aaahhh....Fools and Horses, contender for best program EVER.

Sorry, you can have your thread back now!
Old 15 August 2003, 04:03 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

As far as I know an having just talked to someone at work it was random. If the Army needed people that was where you went. I think that later on there was screening for people with special talents.

David
Old 15 August 2003, 04:22 PM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

In WW1 volunteers (Kitcher's Army) were generally joined up together in local companies/regiments etc, based on the local gentry raising a regiment in rural areas, or the company you worked for, also your ethnic origin - so the London Scottish, Tyneside Irish etc - all the so call 'Pals battalion'.

However after the Somme, when these were decimated, this practive was generally stopped, as bad for morale as whole towns got telegrams on the same day.....

During conscription I think you were told were to go, but you were asked if you have any special training etc that may be relevant... to a certain area.