Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Had a bump...advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2003, 09:26 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks, my mate had a bump in a works truck at the weekend and I would like to know where he stands.

Basically he borrowed a long wheel base truck to help a work mate out, the truck belong to mates company and he was told that as long as he is over 25 he is insured, which he is.

He pulled out of the site and clipped a car, nothing major, but damage done.

Fair cop its his fault and he admits it. Now the car was parked on double yellow lines directly outside the site. I assume the double yellows are there for this very reason i.e.to stop car getting clipped by long wheel base trucks.

Can he get away with it on this technicality?

My mate is pretty honest and said he would pay for the damage anyway, but the guy is wanting 2k to fix a rear wing bump on a J plate fecking Rover.

Turns out the guy that got bumped is a mate of the company owner, and he has said that he will not put it through the insurance.

I've told him to tell them "see you in court" as they are taking the ****, and there were no witnesses anyway.
But his puts the gut my mate was doing a the work for in a awkward position.

Just looking for some advice really.....thanks in advance.
Old 14 August 2003, 09:29 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Nope, its his fault wherever the car was parked.

D
Old 14 August 2003, 09:32 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

sounds like it is your mate's fault, regardless of where the car was parked. £2k is taking the pi55 though. Cant your mate just pay the bodyshop direct rather than giving any money to the car owner?

Steve
Old 14 August 2003, 09:35 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I would offer the bloke a reasonable amount, e.g. £500. If he doesn't want to accept this then just request an accident report form from the company, fill it in and then let the insurers sort it out. he was told that he was insured, after all.
Old 14 August 2003, 10:39 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Cheers folks, I think I will advise him to down the Accident Report form from company path, and let the insurance take care of it.
He has been honest and got pissed around, so I think insurance is the only way forward.
Old 14 August 2003, 10:43 AM
catalunya199
Scooby Regular

if this other bloke was on double yellows then he aint got a leg to stand on they are there so you dont park there for obvious reasons like lorries need lots of room to turn i will see if i can get hold of my brother hes a copper he should no the bobby moore
Old 15 August 2003, 02:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you hit a stopped car it is your fault.

Trending Topics

Old 15 August 2003, 03:02 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

"if this other bloke was on double yellows then he aint got a leg to stand on they are there so you dont park there for obvious reasons like lorries need lots of room to turn i will see if i can get hold of my brother hes a copper he should no the bobby moore "

haha - excellent (picks up sledgehammer and goes looking for cars parked illegally - they're just asking for it, not my fault officer!!!)

Old 15 August 2003, 04:41 PM
T.C
Scooby Regular

Although parking on double yellows has a bearing in road traffic matters, it has absolutely no bearing in civil cases, apart from allowing for a little bit of contributory negligence.

So, sorry, but because it was parked on yellow lines, don't get too carried away.